Leeds Rhinos launch Rhyse Martin appeal - AGAIN!!

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Leeds Rhinos launch Rhyse Martin appeal - AGAIN!!

Post by josie andrews »

Leeds Rhinos are making a last-ditch attempt to have goal kicking forward Rhyse Martin available for Friday’s Betfrfed Super League semi-final at Wigan Warriors.

Martin was handed a one-match suspension for a grade A high tackle in Leeds’ Super League win over Castleford Tigers on September 3.

A challenge against that was rejected last week and a disciplinary panel added another game to the ban, ruling the appeal was “frivolous”.

Coach Rohan Smith confirmed Rhinos have appealed against that ruling and a hearing will be held today (Tuesday).

Martin has already missed Rhinos’ play-off win at Catalans Dragons last weekend.

Smith said: “We are appealing the ‘frivolous’ determination.

"I think it’s a very strong case that the appeal wasn't frivolous. We were well prepared, we were detailed and clear. We certainly didn’t think it was frivolous.

"We’ll get the appeal done and see what the outcome is.”

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... in-3841536
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Charriots Offiah

Re: Leeds Rhinos launch Rhyse Martin appeal - AGAIN!!

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Personally, I would like the lad to play. The disciplinary process is clearly not fit for purpose and needs a total overall.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Well I hope the disciplinary give him another ban for keep wasting their time!!
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Leeds’ Rhyse Martin unsuccessful in appeal

Leeds Rhinos have confirmed that they have been unsuccessful in the appeal for Rhyse Martin.

It means the goal-kicking back-rower will not be available for their Super League semi-final clash against Wigan on Friday.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/le ... in-appeal/
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Weird though I don't think it was worthy of a ban to begin with..Bentley however should have got something for the catalan game
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

fozzieskem wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:00 pm Weird though I don't think it was worthy of a ban to begin with..Bentley however should have got something for the catalan game
Bentley will get his on friday night….. i can feel it lol
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Leeds Rhinos receive Rhyse Martin appeal verdict after frivolous challenge

The Rhinos challenged the frivolous verdict of their original appeal, which saw Martin receive an additional one-match ban.
It's a blow for the Rhinos, who could also be without Ash Handley, David Fusitu'a, Harry Newman, Morgan Gannon and Mikolaj Oledzki for their trip to the DW Stadium. The news will also anger people involved at Headingley after the response of the wider game was ignored. Supporters of the game came together to express their disgust at the decision by the tribunal. Alex Mellor, who had been on the receiving end of the challenge that saw Martin banned, took to Twitter to say the incident wasn't even worthy of a penalty.
It's the second time Leeds have failed to overturn a frivolous charge after unsuccessfully attempting to do the same when Harry Newman was banned for using unacceptable language towards a match official earlier this year.

With Gannon unavailable due to a failed HIA last week in the victory over Catalans Dragons, it leaves Smith with a difficult selection headache. Zane Tetevano has played in the back-row, as has Bodene Thompson. Smith will name his 21-man squad on Wednesday.

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/rugb ... l-25010776
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

They, Leeds, must think they are immune to punishment of any kind from the disciplinary if they are always appealing!
moto748

Post by moto748 »

This case is different, though, Josie. In no way worthy of a ban in the first place. And then adding a game?
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

moto748 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:40 am This case is different, though, Josie. In no way worthy of a ban in the first place. And then adding a game?
i'm guessing thats part of the accumulation of disciplinary visits for him though (i havent been back through week by week to back this up though). He got away with one only a couple of weeks ago when he ran into the ref and virtually handed him off. I've seen players banned for less than that already this year, so in this case swings and roundabouts

i do agree however, that a 1 game ban for this particular tackle was harsh, so assuming my comment above lends to the 1 game ban?