POWELL!!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Caboosegg

Re: POWELL!!

Post by Caboosegg »

I'm not to fussed if he's back in the squad, we are at the point of the season where experience matters and regardless of people's opinions on his ability he has big game experience and does settle.the side.

I trust Peet to play the best option we have at hooker for the semi, if he picks Powell then there's a reason for it.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:39 am
I trust Peet to play the best option we have at hooker for the semi, if he picks Powell then there's a reason for it.
He's been told to by the owner, The End
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

medlocke wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:42 am
Ah I forgot Powells IL secret love child.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Do you genuinely believe that?

(fixed your post)
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

As it sounds from that article, that Powell is going straight back in, my reaction and opinions:
- it looks very much like he is an automatic selection, and in his own mind Powell believes that he will play many more times for us. The tone of the article is very much - he’s first choice and will be for the foreseeable. That concerns me greatly, after what we have seen this year;
- I think it is a risk having someone who has missed so many games straight back in the side. It is a risk we don’t need to take;
- O’Neill has done more than enough to keep his place in the side, and keeping him happy should be a priority for the club. He can turn into our number 9 for years to come given the chance;
- we will lose O’Neill’s running threat, which would tie in the Leeds defence, and would have freed up more room for the outside backs. The large majority of our attacking joy has come when we have freed up space out wide;
- Peet is his own man, and will pick him. I like Peet, and despite my strong views that we are weaker as a side with Powell in it, Peet has his own. I am concerned that these are more to do with “culture” and Powell being a “cracking lad” than increasing the likelihood that we will score enough points to win. But, Peet’s judgement on other matters has been proven right, and I would be happy to be proven wrong; and
- if Powell does play, I will still be hoping and praying that the team has enough talent to win and get to the GF.
Fan4Fifty

Post by Fan4Fifty »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:38 am As it sounds from that article, that Powell is going straight back in, my reaction and opinions:
- it looks very much like he is an automatic selection, and in his own mind Powell believes that he will play many more times for us. The tone of the article is very much - he’s first choice and will be for the foreseeable. That concerns me greatly, after what we have seen this year;
- I think it is a risk having someone who has missed so many games straight back in the side. It is a risk we don’t need to take;
- O’Neill has done more than enough to keep his place in the side, and keeping him happy should be a priority for the club. He can turn into our number 9 for years to come given the chance;
- we will lose O’Neill’s running threat, which would tie in the Leeds defence, and would have freed up more room for the outside backs. The large majority of our attacking joy has come when we have freed up space out wide;
- Peet is his own man, and will pick him. I like Peet, and despite my strong views that we are weaker as a side with Powell in it, Peet has his own. I am concerned that these are more to do with “culture” and Powell being a “cracking lad” than increasing the likelihood that we will score enough points to win. But, Peet’s judgement on other matters has been proven right, and I would be happy to be proven wrong; and
- if Powell does play, I will still be hoping and praying that the team has enough talent to win and get to the GF.
100% agree with all of the above and add in that we will now have two players, Tommy (admittedly a no-brainer if Cust is out) and Powell, in pivotal positions, coming back from long lay-offs. As well as a running threat, O'Neill also has a long, flat, accurate pass that frees up space. And we'll have no real cover for halves/hooker in the likely 4-forward subs. Feel really gutted for O'Neill who seems not likely to be in the 17 man match-day squad. Peet is in a lot of credit this season - hope he doesn't use up too much of it on Friday!
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:29 am
Do you genuinely believe that?
It is the only plausible reason, we have been playing so well without him, why would you risk the current form by inserting him back into the team at such an important part of the season, H e surely can't be match fit
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Initially I'd assumed that Brad would miss out so that we can pick four forwards on the bench. However, as Fan4fifty pointed out, there must be some doubt about both Sam's and Tommy's match fitness. Perhaps Matty will try to cover this by putting Brad in the 17 so that he can spell all three if required.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Personally think it’s bad management if O’Neil is dropped straight from the team and Powell slotted back in.
O’Neil has done a good job for us and it will do his confidence no good if Peet does it that way
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Looking forward to SPT 2023
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield