POWELL!!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Caboosegg

Re: POWELL!!

Post by Caboosegg »

Barney841 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:51 pm Personally think it’s bad management if O’Neil is dropped straight from the team and Powell slotted back in.
O’Neil has done a good job for us and it will do his confidence no good if Peet does it that way
O'Neil has done a good job but he's still developing I see no reason it would impact hid confidence same way Smith missing out on the GF didn't.

Separate to this point I also don't thing he's been as stand out as many are claiming when comparing to Powell.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I’d go with Oniell to start with Powell on the bench if I where picking the team.

But Cust missing is a big blow,Tommy is from being match fit so it’s a huge risk bring him and Powell into the side surely?
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:21 pm
Barney841 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:51 pm Personally think it’s bad management if O’Neil is dropped straight from the team and Powell slotted back in.
O’Neil has done a good job for us and it will do his confidence no good if Peet does it that way
Separate to this point I also don't thing he's been as stand out as many are claiming when comparing to Powell.
I agree but the last few games he’s looked a whole lot better than when he first came into the side.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:21 pm
O'Neil has done a good job but he's still developing I see no reason it would impact hid confidence same way Smith missing out on the GF didn't.

Powells rarely a stand out player, he’s had some decent games I’ll admit, but he’s first pick at hooker every time.

And one thing I do know Powell plays that game when O’Neil put field through that gap(can’t remember who against), powell plays that doesn’t happen.
And this isn’t a hate Powell thing just stating the facts
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wandering Warrior wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:18 pm Looking forward to SPT 2023
Some people don’t know what abbreviations mean! Please do not use them in place of proper words. Thank you 😊
Forum rule 2.
Do not use text speak. This place is not a mobile phone with a limited number of letters per message, nor iz Ali G in da house so you don't need to talk like him. We don't expect perfect English but at least try and make an effort! Remember, not everyone here speaks English as their first language...
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I am absolutely against auto picks I think they destroy a team - I’ve said this about much better players than Powell in the past too - I remember bringing Tomkins back in half baked when escare was in red hot form

That said I’m actually going to surprise many when I say I think Powell suits the Leeds game better. We only have two options really especially with Cust out so I’m taking it on merits

I think the way Leeds are playing right now is very much hot potato off the cuff style - I think they will give us plenty opportunities to score points and it’s more important for us to be disciplined in defence which Powell has the advantage over Brad

It’s tricky because I think should we get to the final we would be better with Brad against saints where it’s more important to attack them and you will get a lot less opportunities

Either way brads not going to wait around for 3-4 years as injury cover nor should he - he needs to be able to fairly challenge powell but I fear that’s just not going to happen
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:13 pm I am absolutely against auto picks I think they destroy a team - I’ve said this about much better players than Powell in the past too - I remember bringing Tomkins back in half baked when escare was in red hot form

That said I’m actually going to surprise many when I say I think Powell suits the Leeds game better. We only have two options really especially with Cust out so I’m taking it on merits

I think the way Leeds are playing right now is very much hot potato off the cuff style - I think they will give us plenty opportunities to score points and it’s more important for us to be disciplined in defence which Powell has the advantage over Brad

It’s tricky because I think should we get to the final we would be better with Brad against saints where it’s more important to attack them and you will get a lot less opportunities

Either way brads not going to wait around for 3-4 years as injury cover nor should he - he needs to be able to fairly challenge powell but I fear that’s just not going to happen
Good post 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I apply the rule of 20 in play offs. Scoring 20 points should be enough if you defend well enough (by which I mean it’s rare to win if you can’t score 20 points). If the consensus is that Leeds can’t keep us below 20 even without any threat from 9, but that Powell increase our chances of keeping them out, then I can understand that train of thought.
He is, however, possibly under cooked against a side throwing the ball around and so the game could pass him by, and we end up with the worst of both worlds.
Am hoping for the best.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:24 pm I apply the rule of 20 in play offs. Scoring 20 points should be enough if you defend well enough (by which I mean it’s rare to win if you can’t score 20 points). If the consensus is that Leeds can’t keep us below 20 even without any threat from 9, but that Powell increase our chances of keeping them out, then I can understand that train of thought.
He is, however, possibly under cooked against a side throwing the ball around and so the game could pass him by, and we end up with the worst of both worlds.
Am hoping for the best.
One thing you can say about Powell the boy is fit - as long as the injury is cleared he should be fine I don’t expect him to struggle - his style helps him with an 80min stint

I think just that you’ve summed up - for me we won’t struggle to score 20 on Leeds if we make few mistakes and box clever - the main thing with Leeds is they can score at the moment so being tight in defence will be key to beating them

It’s the polar opposite of the challenge saints give you which imo is less attacking but they strangle you so you need to put points on them to get them out that snake hold style plan A they have
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

I think both Brad and Sam will be in the 17. After his period on the sidelines it would be too much to ask Powell to play 80 minutes, the same applies to Tommy. I can see all three interchanging at some point with experience looking to close out the game. I go for Brad to start against O’Connor.