Wigan squad for Semi Final

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Wigan squad for Semi Final

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

My choice would be:

FB: 23 Jai Field
W: 1 Bevan French
C: 13 John Bateman
C: 2 Jake Bibby
W: 5 Liam Marshall
HB: 7 Thomas Leuluai
SO: 16 Harry Smith
PR: 8 Brad Singleton
HK: 9 Sam Powell
PR: 36 MiKe Cooper
SR: 21 Kai Pearce Paul
SR:14 Morgan Smithies
L: 19 Ethan Havard

Bench
15 Kaide Ellis
10 Patrick Mago
20 Liam Byrne
22 Joe Shorrocks

I think that we need a defensive approach to the way leeds are playing at the moment, we will get opportunities, leeds are far from a good team at present - but they can score and score heavy with the confidence they have. Its not the game for entertaining rugby this game is about high possession, low risk. Leeds will allow us to score IMO so its just about making sure we end sets well and complete

What i expect Peet to go with

C: Willie Isa
W5 Liam Marshall
PR: 20 Liam Byrne
L: 13 John Bateman

Bench
15 Kaide Ellis
10 Patrick Mago
36 MiKe Cooper
22 Joe Shorrocks
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:40 pm My choice would be:

C: 13 John Bateman
W: 5 Liam Marshall
PR: 36 MiKe Cooper
L: 19 Ethan Havard

Bench
15 Kaide Ellis
10 Patrick Mago
20 Liam Byrne
22 Joe Shorrocks

I think that we need a defensive approach to the way leeds are playing at the moment, we will get opportunities, leeds are far from a good team at present - but they can score and score heavy with the confidence they have. Its not the game for entertaining rugby this game is about high possession, low risk. Leeds will allow us to score IMO so its just about making sure we end sets well and complete

What i expect Peet to go with

C: Willie Isa
W5 Liam Marshall
PR: 20 Liam Byrne
L: 13 John Bateman

Bench
15 Kaide Ellis
10 Patrick Mago
36 MiKe Cooper
22 Joe Shorrocks
I think that's a fair side,Leeds are on a hiding to nothing Wigan have it all to loose tomorrow no-one given the poor season they've had expected Leeds to be playing tomorrow but for the first time since Peet took over I have "that"feeling about a fixture and I include the cup semi final I felt the team would win and go on to the final...this game I can't get a handle on it at all
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

I think Leeds will do us or we’ll pip them by 2 because of the kicking situation. Really poor turnout it’s gonna be like 2019 all over again but worse. Be like a home game for Leeds. Really lucky they’re missing a few of that back line so should limit meters from own end
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Dreamteam wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:24 pm I think Leeds will do us or we’ll pip them by 2 because of the kicking situation. Really poor turnout it’s gonna be like 2019 all over again but worse. Be like a home game for Leeds. Really lucky they’re missing a few of that back line so should limit meters from own end
Just wow we are back to last years mentality in the fan base already?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

Caboosegg wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:44 pm
Dreamteam wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:24 pm I think Leeds will do us or we’ll pip them by 2 because of the kicking situation. Really poor turnout it’s gonna be like 2019 all over again but worse. Be like a home game for Leeds. Really lucky they’re missing a few of that back line so should limit meters from own end
Just wow we are back to last years mentality in the fan base already?
Listen to peets preview on Wigan tv. Some pretty telling statements. Quote “ I remember 2019 and the Salford fans turned it into a home game for them “. Fans are just as important as the players. There’s a reason our goal line defence was exceptional vs St. Helens.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I hope Havard's a certainty to play. I, personally, wouldn't have Mago anywhere near the team but I suspect he will wander on at some stage; drop the ball; do some dodgy offloads; give away penalties and generally have a smashing time.

If O'Neill isn't in the squad I wouldn't be surprised if he decides to move elsewhere at the end of the season - I would. He gives a team many more options in open play.

We are a better side than Leeds - now we have to prove it and I believe we can.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Southern Softy wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:54 pm I hope Havard's a certainty to play. I, personally, wouldn't have Mago anywhere near the team but I suspect he will wander on at some stage; drop the ball; do some dodgy offloads; give away penalties and generally have a smashing time.

If O'Neill isn't in the squad I wouldn't be surprised if he decides to move elsewhere at the end of the season - I would. He gives a team many more options in open play.

I'm more equivocal on Paddy Magoo than you are. His positives are that he draws 3 into the tackle and keeps upright, can get a quick ptb or offload, but my doubts around mistakes and overall contribution - what seems like poor workrate and short minutes, means I personally wouldn't pick him.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

morley pie eater wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:07 pm
Southern Softy wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:54 pm I hope Havard's a certainty to play. I, personally, wouldn't have Mago anywhere near the team but I suspect he will wander on at some stage; drop the ball; do some dodgy offloads; give away penalties and generally have a smashing time.

I'm more equivocal on Paddy Magoo than you are. His positives are that he draws 3 into the tackle and keeps upright, can get a quick ptb or offload, but my doubts around mistakes and overall contribution - what seems like poor workrate and short minutes, means I personally wouldn't pick him.
It's a fair comment about Mago but Cooper is a better forward for keeping upright and being an offloader and KPP is a model for offloading (JB please copy). Mago just makes too many mistakes and isn't reliable - in other words, he's not really a Wigan player. All that being said, if he plays, I hope he has a stormer and proves me wrong.
WarriorRoss11

Post by WarriorRoss11 »

Best lineup we can put out tomorrow is this

Field
French
KPP
Bibby
Marshall
Smith
Tommy
Singleton
Powell (should be O’Neill
Cooper
Isa
Bateman
Smithies

Bryne
Havard
Ellis
Mago
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I think O’Neill will wait another year before he will feel the need to move on

However I don’t see a way any hooker gets in this team outside a Powell injury. Powell plays 80mins that’s sort of his biggest strength - so he won’t be spelled and it’s not like you can really wait for him to drop his form - Powell won’t be terrible ever he is what he is - and he gives you the same thing every match so it’s hard to see how anybody else gets in the team
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure