POWELL!!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
archiekeith

Re: POWELL!!

Post by archiekeith »

DaveO wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:00 pm I find the notion the posts criticising Powell are repetitive a bit strange.

Team sport is by it’s nature repetitive in that normally, each week, there is another game. There were 27 this season not including cup or playoff games.

If a player keeps putting in the same level of performance and some people don’t think it’s good enough, it’s going to keep getting mentioned. WTF would it not be?

It’s not as if in Powell’s case people don’t cite why pointing to his failings in games. Just watch him for goodness sake. Which to me means the those wanting to shut down such criticism are a bit odd. What’s the problem?

You know he’s crap an are sick of hearing it? Or you actually believe he’s any good?
There's no problem Dave if your used to the repetitions of a person suffering from dementia that is otherwise it's annoying. We know what is the case because of the reasons you have mentioned but we don't want to be told every time he plays we can decide for ourselves if we've not already done so. As to shutting people down Yes I've made that explicit after 20 pages of REPITITIONS. Your response could be don't read them then to which my response would be just as trivially don't go to the games he is down to play in. And leave the team selection to the management not the hysterical witch hunters. Historical note. They never found any because there weren't any😜
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

archiekeith wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:01 pm
DaveO wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:00 pm I find the notion the posts criticising Powell are repetitive a bit strange.

Team sport is by it’s nature repetitive in that normally, each week, there is another game. There were 27 this season not including cup or playoff games.

If a player keeps putting in the same level of performance and some people don’t think it’s good enough, it’s going to keep getting mentioned. WTF would it not be?

It’s not as if in Powell’s case people don’t cite why pointing to his failings in games. Just watch him for goodness sake. Which to me means the those wanting to shut down such criticism are a bit odd. What’s the problem?

You know he’s crap an are sick of hearing it? Or you actually believe he’s any good?
There's no problem Dave if your used to the repetitions of a person suffering from dementia that is otherwise it's annoying. We know what is the case because of the reasons you have mentioned but we don't want to be told every time he plays we can decide for ourselves if we've not already done so. As to shutting people down Yes I've made that explicit after 20 pages of REPITITIONS. Your response could be don't read them then to which my response would be just as trivially don't go to the games he is down to play in. And leave the team selection to the management not the hysterical witch hunters. Historical note. They never found any because there weren't any😜
Maybe you should re-read the original post then maybe you can get a grasp on the vibe of the post

If it's keeping us Moaners/Haters quiet on all the other topics/threads then what is the problem
josie andrews wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:36 am A thread just for you Powell moaners!

Moan on here!
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Powell hinders Wigan massively, its clear as day to see.

the fact he is such a long serving player and a great character / influence off the field shouldn't come into it. The team suffers because of his limited capabilities.

9 should be the next position we look to recruit a top class player in my opinion.

add a 9 to our two new out and out centres & it transforms us enormously.
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

Sam is a nice lad tho and treats his dogs well. Not sure how we can ever replace that in fairness
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

Dreamteam wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:51 pm Sam is a nice lad tho and treats his dogs well. Not sure how we can ever replace that in fairness
Don't think if SP is replaced they'll have to look after his dogs in fairness that is. Re Med's post in hindsight I think Josie's post was ill conceived. Pace Alex Belfileld A more serious matter but that's the way things going I'm sure Mike is aware ( this is the correct interpretation of woke amongst other cognate expressions Josie. 😀Just kidding
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Dan2266 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:45 pm Powell hinders Wigan massively, its clear as day to see.

the fact he is such a long serving player and a great character / influence off the field shouldn't come into it. The team suffers because of his limited capabilities.

9 should be the next position we look to recruit a top class player in my opinion.

Dan you’re someone who seems to be close to the club and there are a few others on here

Can anyone offer further insight above and beyond what we know as the why the club have such a blind spot for Powell?

I can’t believe that any of them consider him a top hooker - wane proved he doesn’t - so there can only be a couple of reasons he seems like a completely immovable object in the team

Either they don’t think his lack of ability damages us - or someone in the higher ups likes him enough that he is picked on that
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:58 pm
Dan2266 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:45 pm Powell hinders Wigan massively, its clear as day to see.

Dan you’re someone who seems to be close to the club and there are a few others on here

Can anyone offer further insight above and beyond what we know as the why the club have such a blind spot for Powell?

I can’t believe that any of them consider him a top hooker - wane proved he doesn’t - so there can only be a couple of reasons he seems like a completely immovable object in the team

Either they don’t think his lack of ability damages us - or someone in the higher ups likes him enough that he is picked on that
I'd suggest the arguement goes something like this: he's aa 80 minute player, has high work rate and reliable defence and has a lot of experience, they believe their other options may improve attack but that doesn't fully offset losses in those other areas that Powell brings.

Give the coaches another option with different characteristics and this reasoning would probably change. Maybe even just this year of experience for O'Neil with change the calculation, it he truely brings more attacking threat. I've not seen enough to be sure of that.

I just don't see why this needs a conspiracy.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:58 pm

Only thing I can possibly think of is he counts for so little on the cap... & to replace him with a better player wouldn't be worth the additional cap space as they'd rather spend it elsewhere.

That's all I can think it could be from a club point of view, that is purely speculation mind, I have no idea what the reasons are for persisting with Powell, they maybe just think he is a solid player and are happy with his performances, it literally could be that simple
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

Fully agree Mike
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Because Dave I could offer most of those qualities you’re saying are powells strengths

Being 80min player makes no advantage if you are bang average over those 80mins

High work rate it’s a non-point everyone in a team works hard it’s not a exceptional quality

Being consistent is negated if you are consistently average

I don’t buy this awesome defence argument - he’s a good defender but it’s not like he’s a brick wall he’s ok - many many other players offer the same level of defence - if O’Neill had been at fault for the try powell was in the semi everyone would be screaming how that doesn’t happen with Powell - it does! and it did - but again it seems like it’s ignored. It’s not taken into account how much extra defending we do than we would if someone with more attacking ability would help us get further down the field

Even on this board it’s like Powell being poor is an uncomfortable truth - how many people on here saying “we get it he’s not good but let’s stop talking about it”

If you had a hole in the petrol tank in your car - not talking about it doesn’t stop it leaking

There are average players in our team but all of the average ones seem to be open to challenge - bibby and isa to pick on two seem to be in and out the squad yet powell is a nailed on starter like he’s some sort of superstar we can’t play without - that’s the bit that needs explaining

Anyone with half a rugby brain can see how damaging he is to our attack - and remember attack is not just about scoring tries it’s about getting down the field and puttin mg yourselves in the right place kn the pitch.

I wouldn’t be as bothered if they were going to allow a challenger to him - but if you’re saying that his quality of being 80min player is important the. How doesn’t anyone else get a shot when he isn’t injured?
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure