Sorry to bring up the topic ... GLORYSEEKERS !!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
100% Warrior

Re: Sorry to bring up the ...

Post by 100% Warrior »

No Wanny, I wasn't wearing a Lancy shirt I was displaying Cherry and White.

Don't know if you saw me and my fellow compatriots, we were the people jumping up and down before kick off with a banner that read:

WIGAN WARRIORS
EATING YORKSHIRE PUDDINGS SINCE 1872.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

Yep, the gloryseekers should be ashamed of themselves. Having been one of the few who stayed until the bitter end 2 years ago (when the players left without acknowledging the supporters, perhaps because there were so few of us left they could see anyone!) there was no way I was going to leave early this time. As well as getting the opportunity to applaud the lads for a season beyond anyone's expectations perhaps the best thing was to see Brian up and stumbling around. He must be gutted to have gone off two GF's in a row, although if we'd won and he'd still been unconscious he'd have felt worse I'm sure.

The most bizarre thing I heard though was that some Bradford fans were seen leaving before the end. Why bother spending all that money then going before the end? Given there were lots of disappointed people who couldn't get tickets, why didn't these people stay home and watch on tv. They could have even gone to the pub, watched it there and gone home early if they wanted to experience missing the end. Surely the whole point of a final is to watch your team lift the cup and to join in the celebrations?

Anyway, well done to our lads for Saturday, a great defensive effort which only failed when a tired team had to reorganise quickly following a disgraceful act of thuggery, and for a great season including beating the Stains 4 times and wins against every other team in the league.

After all the doom-mongering at the end of last year (no new players, too many kids, we'll be lucky to get in the top 6, etc etc) I don't think there's anyone who can't be confident of a good showing next year regardless of whether we bring in any new faces.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
DaiJones

Gloryseekers

Post by DaiJones »

Just read this quote from a Wigan fan on the 2001 Grand Final "Wigan were so awful, embarrassing. I couldn't tkae any more so I left just after half time." Shocking lack of commitment eh? Call themselves a fan? If I told you it was one Mr William John 'Billy' Boston does it alter any generalisations about "gloryseekers"?
wanny

Post by wanny »

I didnt see 100% warrior. HOwever did you see me and my mates we were in the west stand left corner (Right at the top of the lower teir with the irsish flag with carney written on it. Anyway we stayed behind till the end and this lad behind us was going APES"£"T at everyone who was leaving calling them all gloryhunters and to F"%KOFF and go watch the latics. Anyway id just like to say well done to him.

I would also like to say thanks to the women sat behind us as well forhaving a cry when we were all stood up singing before the kick off. There was a group of about 20 or so of us all sing along blowing the old horn and they started going bonkers telling us to shut up and sit down WHATS ALL THAT ABOUT!!! I MEAN ITS A FINAL !!!!!!!!!!
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

wanny posted:
Anyway we stayed behind till the end and this lad behind us was going APES"£"T at everyone who was leaving calling them all gloryhunters and to F"%KOFF and go watch the latics.
I'm not sure that is a very productive way to encourage the fans that have stayed away for a couple of year to come back regularly now is it?

There seems to be a bit of confusion about whether it is a good thing that people came to watch Wigan at all. Perhaps we should answer a questionaire about our supporting habits before we were allowed in to Old Trafford?

I for one welcome back any supporters who have missed the last few seasons, and I welcome any new fans that have been attracted because of our good run at the end of the season.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
Alex the Warrior

Re: Sorry to bring up the topi...

Post by Alex the Warrior »

An alternative view. I left with two minutes to go, and realise, with hindsight that i lost the chance to thank the lads. Thing is, i'm a good loser if it's fair, but a very poor one if my side has been cheated.

I had a number of Bratford fans near me and their gloating, coupled with their intensely annoying 'Wooly Bully' dancing every time they scored any points was winding me up big time. I despise them more than anyone, blaming them for the 'dumbing down' of the game, and hating their bandwagon style ignorance of simple things like the rules, or, i suspect, the fact that they used to be called 'Northern'. In my upset state, i decided it was for the best if i took my temper away from there.

Last year, i stayed long after the final whistle following our defeat in the play-offs, and know that i lost the chance to thank the lads for giving us a season way beyind expectations.

I am not a glory hunter just because i missed 2 minutes of the last game of the season. In fact, i've had season tickets before and after the glory years and not during them.

I live 20 miles away from the JJB, and consider that my hectic efforts to attend games on a Friday after work and the fact that i'm one of the 3,000 who think it's worth watching us play Halton Simms Cross prove my support.
From Mission Impossible (1991) to The Great Escape (2006)
Emma Farrell

Post by Emma Farrell »

cool i saw u 100% warrior and wanny!!! was any 1 on ere holding up the baner that said 'chilli con CARNEY gives you the runs'?
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

I was sat (well standing) infronta the people with the chilli con carni sign.
And the irish flag was to the left of me and Ellie n co to the right near the bottom.
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
pez

Post by pez »

Well i left just after the hooter i didnt want to but due to the fact that we had witnessed fighting 4 rows in front of us in the West stand second tier (you know who you are and should rightly be ashamed) and 5 mins from the end we were showered by alcohol from an idiot behind us!!! Now that wouldnt bother me personally ive seen trouble before ,ive been drowned before! but i chose this one game to introduce a relative to our beautiful game and although they enjoyed the day and game what do you think they remember? Its time NOW to get these people out of our game before we end up like football!!!
warriors

Post by warriors »

i disagree with that.

Because all of the wigan fans, might not feal the same as u do. iav bin 2 4home game, i av stayed behind 4 10-15mins, i avnt bin a fan 4 that long. i dont feal the same as u do about wigan.

See sarah an her parents av bin fans 4 alot of years. they didnt stay 4 that long when they watch the grand finals game finished, they r not glory fans.