England Team to face Samoa

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
butchbulldog

Re: England Team to face Samoa

Post by butchbulldog »

If we win a game with that squad I’ll be very surprised! 🙁
Read this on another post 🤣
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

England player ratings after destroying Samoa in Rugby League World Cup opener

England annihilated Samoa 60-0. Here are the player ratings.

Sam Tomkins - 8: Floated around gracefully with a minimum of fuss. Steady at the back, always asking questions in attack. Quietly effective. Beauty 40/20 at the end.

Tommy Makinson - 8: Carrying the ball in back play against men twice his size, he made yeards and beat them regularly. Bagged a try for good measure, and plenty of kicks. Excellent.

Kallum Watkins - 8: What a display. In some of the best form of his career. Defensively he was practically flawless and with the ball he did the most damage out of the outside backs. Took his try well too.

Herbie Farnworth - 8: After a shaky England debut he was superb here. He bust tackles from the start, came up with some big defensive reads and got over for a try. Outstanding.

Dom Young - 8: What can you say? The scorer of one of England's greatest tries, his finish to round Joseph Suaali'i a thing of absolute beauty. Bagged another with a solid finish too. He's arrived on the international stage.

Jack Weslby - 9: Put this name in the spotlight. He is a superstar. Three assists, one try, a passing clinic. He's 21. England's next big thing.

George Williams - 9: Show him some respect. Had a poor domestic year but this was just awesome. Ran the show. Great assist for the first try, excellent kicking game, got over himself. Absolutely phenomenal.

Tom Burgess - 8: Set his stall out early against Samoa's huge pack. Got England on the front foot early and they never looked back. One of his best England displays. Got over at the end.

Micky McIlorum - 8: Crisp distribution and solid defensively. Can't ask for much more from a hooker. Very good.

Chris Hill - 8: Got carved up a few times in his early carries but was defensively solid and his work rate was superb. Outstanding.

Elliot Whitehead - 9: A two-try display to cap an excellent performance overall.

Mike McMeeken - 8: Nothing flashy but found his front regularly and defended like a trojan.

Victor Radley - 9: Freak. What a player. Just hits everyone hard every tackle and leaves his mark. Outstanding.

Mike Cooper - 8: Stead away but did what he needed to do to keep England on top.

Morgan Knowles - 8: Had a big job replacing Radley but kept up his defensive intensity. What a pair of loose forwards England have.

Matty Lees - 8: Met Junior Paulo early and was on his back quick. But adapted and was excellent after.

Luke Thompson - 8: Can't recall a carry where he didn't bump off the first man. Outstanding.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... g-25272862
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

“Tell me he doesn’t love playing for England!” – James Graham fires up over the critics of Victor Radley’s England inclusion

England got off to the perfect start in the Rugby League World Cup by beating Samoa 60-6 at St James’ Park with Victor Radley receiving the Player of the Match award.

It was the perfect way to silence the critics for Radley whose inclusion in Shaun Wane’s squad was questioned this week by Great Britain and England legend Garry Schofield.

Australian-born Radley qualifies to play for England through his dad, who is from Sheffield, with the 24-year-old turning down any representative honours with New South Wales throughout his entire career to play for his dad’s homeland.

In making that decision, ‘The Inflictor’ will also likely sacrifice a lot of money through the duration of his playing days, with England coach Wane convinced by a number of phone calls with Radley that he was fully committed to playing for the ‘Wall of White’.

That was proven today as Radley put in a superb performance in picking up the Player of the Match award, and BBC pundit and former England captain James Graham fired up after the game hitting back at those who questioned the Sydney Roosters man’s inclusion.

“There was criticism of the choice of Victor Radley to play by certain areas of the press,” said Graham. “You just have to look at the way he went out there and performed today.

You tell me he doesn’t love playing for England? He (Schofield) still goes and says it. You tell him and ask him if he (Radley) doesn’t love playing for England!”

Speaking on the England performance as a whole, Graham could not hold back his joy at watching the superb showing against Samoa.

Many people had written Wane’s side off before the game, with the bookies even making Samoa favourites to win the match in Newcastle, and the statement win has the former Saints man excited about what’s to come.

I think what matters now is where do England go from here? Are you starting to believe? Because I know I’m believing now,” said Graham.

He continued: “How good is that now? The fans are going to get behind it. So, we’ve got to believe we can go all the way.”

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/tell-me- ... ion-60499/
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Phil Gould responds to his “England can’t beat Samoa” comment after England win 60-6

Much of the talk ahead of England’s World Cup opener against Samoa centred around comments by Australian TV commentator Phil Gould.

The 64-year-old former NRL and State of Origin player, who is now part of the commentary team on Channel 9, responded to a tweet from a fan asking about his thoughts on the opening match of the tournament.

In a bold statement, Gould said: “England can’t beat Samoa”.

That comment received a huge backlash online from many English rugby league fans, with England captain Sam Tomkins responding in the build-up by questioning who Gould even was.

It’s likely his statement was based off Samoa’s star-studded squad that includes seven players that played in the recent NRL Grand Final between Penrith Panthers and Parramatta Eels.

What Gould didn’t factor in was the talent England have in both Super League and the NRL, and in a superb display Shaun Wane’s side won the opener a resounding 60-6 to the joy of the 45,000-strong crowd at St James’ Park in Newcastle.

In response to that result, Gould has taken to his Twitter again and this time he was on hand to give England the credit they deserved – while also labelling Samoa’s performance ‘dismal’.

During the game he tweeted: “England dominating the advantage line in both attack and defence. Beating Samoa to the punch on every play. Look slick. Hooker and halves terrific. Samoa look like they are on holidays and haven’t trained together. Very disjointed. Defence awful. Very disappointing so far.”

At full-time, Gould said: “England too good. That’s a big win for the home side. Great start to the RLWC for the fans. Fast, skilful, committed. It obviously meant so much more to them. Taking nothing away from England, but Samoa were a rabble. Never in the contest. Dismal display. Well done England.”

It’s a result that is likely to raise a few eyebrows down under, with England stunning Samoa by a margin nobody could have predicted to lay down a real marker for the rest of the tournament.

Looking further ahead, it also means England will likely have a clear path to the semi-finals should they beat the teams they are expected to in the coming weeks.

For Samoa, it was a reality check and should they now come through the group, most likely in second place, it will be a showdown with Pacific rivals Tonga in the quarter-finals should the draw go as expected.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/phil-gou ... 0-6-60486/
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

George Williams’ place in England squad was “never in doubt” as Shaun Wane talks up ex-Wigan Warriors men

All great sides have a great spine.

Melbourne Storm were led around by a trio of Billy Slater, Cameron Smith and Cooper Cronk in their hayday.

Leeds Rhinos had Kevin Sinfield, Danny McGuire and Rob Burrow whilst St Helens have had James Roby, Jonny Lomax and Lachlan Coote in recent years prior to Jack Welsby stepping in.

But when we look to the successful Wigan side under Shaun Wane, their spine evolved but produced three brilliant players in Sam Tomkins, George Williams and Michael McIlorum.

The three came through the Wigan academy under Shaun Wane, became a part of the Wigan spine under Wane as they won trophies galore before heading on to pastures new.

A part from each other they may not have won the trophies they did at Wigan but all three are special players and have been reunited under Wane at England.

Many questioned their inclusion, especially Williams’ after his Warrington side finished 11th in Super League this year, but after a stellar performance from Williams today, Wane revealed that his inclusion was “never in doubt” as he noted the trust he has in that ex-Wigan trio: “I’ll be honest with you, he [Williams] was never in doubt. It might come across as arrogant or cocky, but I don’t really care.

“I know what he can do, I know what Sam can do, I know what Micky McIlorum can do. I have known them since they were kids. They turn up when the pressure is on, when the heat is on they turn up. I knew they would perform.”

That said, he knows he and the others can get better: “My mentality is I’ll be happy, but I will never be satisfied. I’ll always want him to talk more, I’ll always think Sam can do more. We’re not the sort of people who go round and pat ourselves on the back.

We know Samoa can play better than what they did today. A lot of that was the way we defended and attacked, but we’re not going round thinking we can’t improve and ‘look out for us.’ We have to improve and we will improve.”

The question remains, can this trio complimented by the likes of Welsby and a sprinkling of NRL talent lead England to the World Cup trophy? Time will tell.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/george-w ... men-60495/
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Thanks for all the great copy, Josie.

On Phil Gould, we happened to rewatch the Willie Mason v Stuart Fielden incident - Gould's comments were totally inane - and, for the record, he didn't mention Jamie Peacock's fair defence of Fielden that put Mason on his backside...one eyed to say the least :)
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

widdenoldboy wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:01 pm Thanks for all the great copy, Josie.

On Phil Gould, we happened to rewatch the Willie Mason v Stuart Fielden incident - Gould's comments were totally inane - and, for the record, he didn't mention Jamie Peacock's fair defence of Fielden that put Mason on his backside...one eyed to say the least :)
You’re welcome, just thought they were good reports 😊🏉🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

May hospitalised in near-record loss to England in World Cup

Samoa’s near-record 60-6 World Cup capitulation to England has been compounded by three potentially serious tournament-ending injuries, including a dislocated hip that sent former Panther Tyrone May to hospital.

The biggest game in Samoan rugby league’s history turned into a real-life horror show for the island nation, as England ran riot with Victor Radley playing a pivotal role in the 10-try annihilation.

Hopes had never been higher for Matt Parish’s Samoan side given genuine NRL stars Junior Paulo, Josh Papali’i, Jarome Luai, Brian To’o and Joseph Suaalii all opted to represent their heritage over Australia.

But injuries to Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow (syndesmosis), Braden Hamlin-Uele (calf) and May, as well as a likely suspension for playmaker Anthony Milford (late tackle) only piled on top of an error-riddled performance.

May’s dislocated hip stopped play for several minutes during the second half as he writhed in agony and was eventually stretchered off, Parish indicating afterwards that the 26-year-old had been hospitalised by the injury

We have a few injured guys in there who I don’t think will play any further part in the tournament,” Parish said afterwards.

“Braden is a calf and [Tabuai-Fidow] is in a moon boot and crutches.

“So I would be surprised if either of those three would take any further part.

"We have to be better than that today. Without doubt. We are not using it as an excuse for anything like that.

“We didn’t have a lot of luck injury wise but …. we have to be a lot more resilient than we were.”

Parish denied his side had given up in the second half as England rattled up six tries in 16 minutes.

“We had a man in the sin bin, a second-rower in the centre, one centre who was busted, so I definitely wouldn’t say that.”

Samoa’s spine-tingling pre-game Siva Tau war dance proved their most threatening offering of the afternoon, with the 54-point loss only just falling short of their heaviest ever defeat in the international arena – a 60-6 thumping from Australia in 2000.

Parish’s pre-game insistence that Samoa’s six NRL grand finalists and a six-day preparation could see them underdone for the tournament proved painfully accurate.

They now find themselves on a quarter-final collision course with Pacific rivals Tonga with intense scrutiny in store given the quality of Samoa’s squad.

England on the other hand were all smiles as Clovelly Crocodiles junior Radley claimed man-of-the-match honours and Knights winger Dom Young scored an impressive first-half double.

Canberra’s Elliott Whitehead also bagged a brace as Radley laid on three try-assists as a ball-playing lock in the middle, though both he and coach Shaun Wane were both slightly miffed at his best on ground status.

“He got man-of-the-match?” Wane asked in his post-game press conference.

“I thought there were other players who played really, really good. He can do a lot better Rads, I’ve no doubt in my mind and he won’t mind me saying that. I know what he can do… Rads can play a mile better than that.”

Radley added: “I’m not sure how I got the man of the match.

“I’m a bit embarrassed but I’m really stoked, this was really enjoyable.”

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/may-ho ... 5bq2y.html
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Watching the match as was out today and bloody hell they are bigging welsby up for doing nothing special.

Welsby does a miss out pass to young, but young beats 4 players for the try

Commentary- Welsby welsby welsby

Well by this point welsby has already attempted 2 kicks through that have gone direct to the opposition hand and made an error that lead to their try.

I have realised my dislike of Welsby is nothing to do with the player, as he's a very good young player but I have near heard so much sh#te spouted about one player.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Caboosegg wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:20 pm Watching the match as was out today and bloody hell they are bigging welsby up for doing nothing special.

Welsby does a miss out pass to young, but young beats 4 players for the try

Commentary- Welsby welsby welsby

Well by this point welsby has already attempted 2 kicks through that have gone direct to the opposition hand and made an error that lead to their try.

I have realised my dislike of Welsby is nothing to do with the player, as he's a very good young player but I have never heard so much sh#te spouted about one player.
Since Roby!

Yes we know they are good players but commentary & pundits sicken fans with their continued drivel. In my opinion of course 😉