England Team to face Samoa

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Blackpool_Pie

Re: England Team to face Samoa

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Whilst I was very impressed by England's cohesive display and some genuine brilliance, you must on the other hand realise how poor Samoa were unfortunately. They looked (and probably are) a team who haven't had chance to train or play much together. Wasn't this their first game since 2019? I'm sure I read that. Throw in 3 injuries that forced players out of the game and it turns into a route.
The game started at a really fast pace and I was expecting a genuinely brilliant game but Samoa did disappoint me, however as I've already alluded to, England were much better than anyone anticipated and I'm so pleased for Shaun Wane that he can shut all the haters up. I'm just wondering weather Bateman has a place in this side. I don't see any changes necessary. Maybe as both the 2 other group games are there or thereabouts full gone conclusions, we might just see a few changes. How much can you change it up in such a short tournament though? We have 2 gimme games then we are into knockouts. I don't think we can afford to have players missing a game unless they have niggles.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

A lot to be positive about on the field, certainly good options for a very mobile backrow with Bateman, Batchelor or KPP to come in. Also if we have a dominant pack then Sneyd could sit behind and play a controlling game. With games fara part we might be better to just roll with a winning team and only change for knocks or concussion protocol issues.
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

Brilliant result, England were good all over the park. Williams, Tomkins and welsby all very classy. Farmworth is some player, brilliant carries. Thought the pack went well and Cooper made some tough good yards up the middle. I’d have oledski in for hill and Akers in for Micky Mac but other than that I’d leave the side as it is. Only negatives for me was the last tackle kicking option was clearly a lot poorer without Sneyd, other than the odd decent one from Tomkins (40/20). Agree Samoa we’re poor and they should improve as the competition goes forward. We should cruise through the next couple of games so maybe a chance to look at a few other players.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Pretty much agree. Long kicking game not great from Welsby, and Williams always was more of short kicker, good as he was. Welsby can pick a pass, though. As Harry Grant showed for the Kangaroos, an ability to kick from dummy-half is such a bonus in the modern game. Ackers can do that. Really pleased for Herbie, who's had no game time since a serious injury. How I'd love to have him at Wigan!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

moto748 wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:12 am Pretty much agree. Long kicking game not great from Welsby, and Williams always was more of short kicker, good as he was. Welsby can pick a pass, though. As Harry Grant showed for the Kangaroos, an ability to kick from dummy-half is such a bonus in the modern game. Ackers can do that. Really pleased for Herbie, who's had no game time since a serious injury. How I'd love to have him at Wigan!
Herbie’s grandfather used to be a scout for us. It was him who took the young lad to Australia. Can’t remember his name now but know the last time I saw him his health wasn’t too good 😌 He was a big tall guy with a bald head.

Always reminded me of the guy who took me for my driving test in 1970, who was of the same build & with a bald head, he was a driving instructor for the police. Scared me to bloody death when he shouted me out & I saw the size if him 😂😂 Luckily I passed & he said you’re a very good driver but you need confidence which I don’t seem to inspire in young women!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:29 am
moto748 wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:12 am Pretty much agree. Long kicking game not great from Welsby, and Williams always was more of short kicker, good as he was. Welsby can pick a pass, though. As Harry Grant showed for the Kangaroos, an ability to kick from dummy-half is such a bonus in the modern game. Ackers can do that. Really pleased for Herbie, who's had no game time since a serious injury. How I'd love to have him at Wigan!
Herbie’s grandfather used to be a scout for us. It was him who took the young lad to Australia. Can’t remember his name now but know the last time I saw him his health wasn’t too good 😌 He was a big tall guy with a bald head.

Always reminded me of the guy who took me for my driving test in 1970, who was of the same build & with a bald head, he was a driving instructor for the police. Scared me to bloody death when he shouted me out & I saw the size if him 😂😂 Luckily I passed & he said you’re a very good driver but you need confidence which I don’t seem to inspire in young women!
It was his uncle Josie, Brian Foley who was head of youth development at Wigan.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Good result and better still the performance from England that pleased so much,if I was being picky I’d have played Ackers at hooker but that’s just me I think apart from Bateman we have seen wane’s best side and once the next 2 games are out of the way it’ll be this team that goes forward.

I’d have played Sneyd mainly for his kicking game but Welsby,short of taking a brew and a digestive on the pitch midway through the first half is undroppable,mark my words on that.

Question for a bit of discussion..Samoa will they improve or are they a busted flush..if those injuries are serious then I think it may be game over but we shall see.

Much as it galls me I think we have seen the winners already the sheer quality of that Australian side is frightening when you hear big Malmhas rested players… :shock: for me the stand out was Harry Grant fine player on the evidence
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:57 pm
josie andrews wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:29 am

It was his uncle Josie, Brian Foley who was head of youth development at Wigan.
That’s it Brian Foley & yes, thank you for jogging my memory, I’m awful with names & apparently family relationships 😂😂 I used to speak with him often. He wasn’t well the last time I saw him, hope he is okay & still going.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

fozzieskem wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:03 pm Good result and better still the performance from England that pleased so much,if I was being picky I’d have played Ackers at hooker but that’s just me I think apart from Bateman we have seen wane’s best side and once the next 2 games are out of the way it’ll be this team that goes forward.

I’d have played Sneyd mainly for his kicking game but Welsby,short of taking a brew and a digestive on the pitch midway through the first half is undroppable,mark my words on that.

Question for a bit of discussion..Samoa will they improve or are they a busted flush..if those injuries are serious then I think it may be game over but we shall see.

Much as it galls me I think we have seen the winners already the sheer quality of that Australian side is frightening when you hear big Malmhas rested players… :shock: for me the stand out was Harry Grant fine player on the evidence
Stephen said the same, but there’s always hope they have a bad day if they get to the final 😉
Green Machine

Post by Green Machine »

Ironically Josie Brian Foley was also a policeman.