Liam Marshall signs long-term deal as he commits future to Wigan Warriors

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Liam Marshall signs long-term deal as he commits future to Wigan Warriors

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors have announced that winger Liam Marshall has signed a new three-year contract with the club.

The 26-year-old will stay at his hometown team until at least the end of the 2025 season after another impressive season in 2022.

Marshall has scored 93 tries in 121 games for the Warriors, including the match-winning try against Huddersfield Giants at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in May as he helped Wigan win the Challenge Cup.

A product of the Wigan Academy, Marshall has had to bounce back twice from lengthy injury spells – injuring his ACL in 2018 and suffering a serious knee ligament injury in 2020.

Last season he scored 25 tries in 25 games and became an England International after making his debut against Fiji earlier this month.

On signing the new three-year contract, Marshall told the club’s website: “I’m very happy to sign this new contract – it was a no-brainer for me. I don’t see myself playing anywhere else in Super League.

I’d never thought it would progress the way it has for me and I still felt like a Wigan fan even when I was playing in the Academy. I want to keep pushing on and win more.

“Matt [Peet] has played a big part in my development. During that transitional period when I was on a part-time contract, it made sense for me to go and play Championship rugby and it went well for me with Matt as my point of contact at Wigan. He’s a big part in where I’ve got to today and as long as I can keep performing, I’m sure the relationship will continue to work well.”

Wigan’s Executive Director, Kris Radlinski, said: “Liam is probably everybody’s favourite person at the Club. He brings energy and fun into the environment and has developed into a fantastic Rugby League player who performs on the big stage in key moments.

“His try at Tottenham is up there with my greatest ever Wigan moments. I lost myself in the moment as I celebrated with my wife and kids. I was excited because it was the winning try in the Cup Final but also because it was Liam who scored it. In that moment, I was thinking about how much it meant to him and also about his mum and dad, Debbie and Dave, celebrating it. It was a brilliant sporting moment that will live with me forever. A win for one of the good guys.”

Head Coach, Matt Peet, added: “I’m delighted he’s signed a new contract. He’s gone from strength to strength here – from a young player on the edge of the team to a leader.

“He’s infectious in the way he goes about his rugby. We like working with him – he plays with his heart on his sleeve and he’s a credit to his family.

The important thing for Liam now is that he improves and develops his game – he’s certainly got the potential to improve even further.”

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/liam-mar ... ors-60626/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Liam Marshall signs long-term deal as he commits future to Wigan Warriors

Post by josie andrews »

Great news 😊 so happy Liam has signed for another 3 years.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

An excellent piece of business. With Bevan just re-signed and now Liam re-signing we have pace throughout our back three.
Liam's a terrific wingman and his tries in the C Cup Semi and Final are already of Wigan legend!
My grandsons will be very happy Liam's their favourite player.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Good stuff….. top player who always gives his all
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Good news it’s clear he doesn’t want to play anywhere else.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Great business - underrated player IMO
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Brilliant interview on Wigan TV 😊
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Excellent news, his mum and dad will be over the moon.
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

Happy with that - cracking player with a spot on attitude. Not just a finisher as manages to gain a lot of meters from our own try line also.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Very good player imo. Happy to have him on board.