Bateman

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Bateman

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Caboosegg wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:47 pm
Dreamteam wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:34 pm
medlocke wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:27 pm

So he is yet unproven at SL level, Is he really the second coming or is he another Rocky Hampshire being bigged up by certain fans again???
What’s the difference between unproven yet and not good enough. Partington wasn’t good enough for us and shorrocks doesn’t start for anyone in sl yet both have been picked ahead of him stunting his potential. At least make an effort to look like we want to keep him instead of playing him in the reserves when he’s way ahead of that level
Yet when Nicholson left the club came out and said he did have a pathway.
That was to hide their blushes. Andy Farrell had a pathway - straight into the team at 16. The club were not bold enough to make the right decision. Give me a good up and coming player everyday rather than a player past his best.
Charriots Offiah

Oh, and I forgot to say, pay them what they are worth.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:16 pm
Dreamteam wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:34 pm

What’s the difference between unproven yet and not good enough. Partington wasn’t good enough for us and shorrocks doesn’t start for anyone in sl yet both have been picked ahead of him stunting his potential. At least make an effort to look like we want to keep him instead of playing him in the reserves when he’s way ahead of that level
That was to hide their blushes. Andy Farrell had a pathway - straight into the team at 16. The club were not bold enough to make the right decision. Give me a good up and coming player everyday rather than a player past his best.
Do you know that as a fact or is it in your opinions.

Its interesting that Nicholson leaving had a statement that stated how u happy the club was but others we have lost haven't?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

One of the problems with youth in a capped sport with relegation is retention. It's all a gamble, for what it's worth Wigan was pretty nailed on with Nicklson signing a deal he didn't even give them a chance, money wise with what he's been put on at Wire. I'm of a mind set they wouldn't anyways. He's starting second row looking at their squad. I'm pretty sure plenty would have moaned if he had been kept here and he doesn't make the grade in a similar scenario? Largely untested it's a gamble one that could work but no guarantee at this stage.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

Timing looks to have done us little favours with the whole Bateman, Nicholson and McDonnell issues. We can’t have known Bateman wanted out at the time of trying to negotiate with Nicholson, surely? The same goes for the negotiations with McDonnell Had we done so then to up the offers would’ve been a no brainer. On the flip side, in not knowing, it would make it tough to go too high for unproven lads on the basis that we probably hoped we’d get another 5+ years out of the Bateman, Farrell and Smithies trio and then where do these lads fit?

I’m sure money has played a huge part in the Nicholson exit. That and a starting shirt is still more on both fronts then he’d get here, even if Bateman leaves. Maybe he’s lacked some patience but it’s hard for a side well stacked to fast track a young kid. It’s a bit like Dom Young saying he went to Oz as he wasn’t getting a chance at Huddersfield. They’re getting stuck now from people saying how could they have ignored him but he was an 18 year old kid and was unlikely to be anywhere near the player he is now. It’s a balancing act and it’s difficult to keep everyone happy.
Charriots Offiah

NICKYKISS wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:45 pm Timing looks to have done us little favours with the whole Bateman, Nicholson and McDonnell issues. We can’t have known Bateman wanted out at the time of trying to negotiate with Nicholson, surely? The same goes for the negotiations with McDonnell Had we done so then to up the offers would’ve been a no brainer. On the flip side, in not knowing, it would make it tough to go too high for unproven lads on the basis that we probably hoped we’d get another 5+ years out of the Bateman, Farrell and Smithies trio and then where do these lads fit?

I’m sure money has played a huge part in the Nicholson exit. That and a starting shirt is still more on both fronts then he’d get here, even if Bateman leaves. Maybe he’s lacked some patience but it’s hard for a side well stacked to fast track a young kid. It’s a bit like Dom Young saying he went to Oz as he wasn’t getting a chance at Huddersfield. They’re getting stuck now from people saying how could they have ignored him but he was an 18 year old kid and was unlikely to be anywhere near the player he is now. It’s a balancing act and it’s difficult to keep everyone happy.
I have to disagree; it is not timing that is the issue it is planning. Wigan could at any point improved his contract, they chose not to. Warrington saw an opportunity and nipped in. These lads all play for money, but Wigan expect them to stay loyal because they have come through the academy system, sometimes that works on this occasion it didn't. Let's not forget that the club gave Willie a new two-year contract, they could have chosen a different path. If they are not careful, they will lose another top prospect - Smithies.
Charriots Offiah

Caboosegg wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:10 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:16 pm

Do you know that as a fact or is it in your opinions.

Its interesting that Nicholson leaving had a statement that stated how u happy the club was but others we have lost haven't?
Yes, they decided to give others contracts. I’m not sure what you mean re your second comment.
Charriots Offiah

lucky 13 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:13 pm One of the problems with youth in a capped sport with relegation is retention. It's all a gamble, for what it's worth Wigan was pretty nailed on with Nicklson signing a deal he didn't even give them a chance, money wise with what he's been put on at Wire. I'm of a mind set they wouldn't anyways. He's starting second row looking at their squad. I'm pretty sure plenty would have moaned if he had been kept here and he doesn't make the grade in a similar scenario? Largely untested it's a gamble one that could work but no guarantee at this stage.
Wigan didn’t even offer him a deal had they done so he might have signed it. The club has to make tough decisions if it wishes to prosper. Anyone who has watched Nicholson could see that he was a rising star and a player that Wigan should have been trying to keep but they failed miserably. He may not make the grade, that was true of the likes of Andy Farrell, Sean Edwards etc. but the club put faith in their judgment. Letting him run his contract down was criminal, a deal should have been struck well before Wire came to the party.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:40 pm
lucky 13 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:13 pm One of the problems with youth in a capped sport with relegation is retention. It's all a gamble, for what it's worth Wigan was pretty nailed on with Nicklson signing a deal he didn't even give them a chance, money wise with what he's been put on at Wire. I'm of a mind set they wouldn't anyways. He's starting second row looking at their squad. I'm pretty sure plenty would have moaned if he had been kept here and he doesn't make the grade in a similar scenario? Largely untested it's a gamble one that could work but no guarantee at this stage.
Wigan didn’t even offer him a deal had they done so he might have signed it. The club has to make tough decisions if it wishes to prosper. Anyone who has watched Nicholson could see that he was a rising star and a player that Wigan should have been trying to keep but they failed miserably. He may not make the grade, that was true of the likes of Andy Farrell, Sean Edwards etc. but the club put faith in their judgment. Letting him run his contract down was criminal, a deal should have been struck well before Wire came to the party.
But don't the coaches know what they are doing or does that crack only work in the defence of Sam Powell?
Charriots Offiah

medlocke wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:12 am
Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:40 pm
But don't the coaches know what they are doing or does that crack only work in the defence of Sam Powell?
It’s not the coaches at fault mate.