England Vs Samoa

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: England Vs Samoa

Post by Mike »

Very disappointing. And to top the result the damn RFL sent me an email straight after the game telling me the result. I hadn't watched it yet and don't think I will now. :|
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
jobo

Post by jobo »

It almost a weekend ruining loss for me. For all the bagging of certain players, I'd still say, player for player, we are 7/8 points better than Samoa.

When you think about why we lost this, why Welsby was out of sorts or why a NRL trained Ridley, passed when he did or, why Watkins, who has had a great world cup made unforced errors, along with others, it's got to be imo something other than abilty.

Think self belief at crucial moments desert some of our lads in maybe a way it doesn't, with the southern hemisphere lads.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

We saw today problems which have haunted wigan push into the national team

Most notably overlooking 9 - Micky Mac might be good defensive and he’s is decent going forward but Andy ackers has had a way better season and should of been number 1 but again not having a running zip threat from 9 made us suffer. Radley offered more and isn’t a hooker and that’s the problem at Wigan playing a loose at 9 and it being comparable shows you have the wrong 9!

Welsby was poor as was Watkins and a host of other players including young Williams was as poor as he was good

We lacked a game manager out there like a long/lockers/sinfield - I actually think we would of been better with syned with Williams as it was a better complement

the only saving grace is that we would of had 80 put up us against oz if we played like that we lack a smart 9 and a dominant half to be at the sharp end
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

jobo wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:25 pm It almost a weekend ruining loss for me. For all the bagging of certain players, I'd still say, player for player, we are 7/8 points better than Samoa.

When you think about why we lost this, why Welsby was out of sorts or why a NRL trained Ridley, passed when he did or, why Watkins, who has had a great world cup made unforced errors, along with others, it's got to be imo something other than abilty.

Think self belief at crucial moments desert some of our lads in maybe a way it doesn't, with the southern hemisphere lads.
Like New Zealand, Samoa, Tonga etc., we need more players in the NRL. SL standards are way below those in Australia. Our competition is not preparing players to play on the highest stage.
Charriots Offiah

nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:12 pm
Wintergreen wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:45 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:39 pm

Sorry your talking Wet. 3 Samao tries and the position for the drop goal came of individual errors. That wasn't game management. Micky Mac doesn't set a foot wrong in the game but you single his selection and Wane out.

Welsby knocked on in GP, Tomkins threw a forward pass maybe the shouldn't have been picked?
You don't think we dipped when McIllorum came back on? It's a view I suppose.....
“Dipping” didn’t cause us to lose the game.

Poor game management and unforced errors did.
- interception - Radley
- stupid pass on 5th - Williams
- forward pass - Tomkins
- knock on - Welsby
You forgot Whitehead failing to go to ground rather than trying to throw a wonder ball. But to be quite honest we can go on all night about our errors, at the end of the day we don’t have enough good players.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

What is the point of that, having more players in the NRL? If that’s the case we wont have a competition here cos all the best players will be down under!!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Charriots Offiah

Caboosegg wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:25 pm
Wintergreen wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:19 pm Wane has to take this one I'm afraid.

With Radley at 9 England look a massive threat.

With McIllorum there.................well.

It was working and Wane put him back on!
Really? so the really costly defensive errors are nothing to so with it? Just Wanes team pick.

Semi final rugby and Watkins dropped the ball on a certain try. Dom Young dropped a simple catch, Radley gave a hospital pass which got intercepted.

None of these players have played badly but in test rugby errors like that are costly.
Two of those played badly today.
Charriots Offiah

fozzieskem wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:17 pm
moto748 wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:09 pm I don't bag Welsby cos he's a Saints player, but where was he today? Not too many shone. The props were all pretty good, Whitehead and Herbie too. Makinson didn't do much wrong that I recall, and he kicked the goals.
Well let’s just say he filled a shirt nothing more,this is what irritates me with RL coverage they anoint a player as the best thing since the last big thing but refuse to lay any criticism of said player there’s no balance at all,and that’s not just aimed at Welsby today it’s all “golden child”of the moment.
To be fair the lad is not and never will be a halfback. We needed a Lomax tonight.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:04 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:12 pm
Wintergreen wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:45 pm

You don't think we dipped when McIllorum came back on? It's a view I suppose.....
“Dipping” didn’t cause us to lose the game.

Poor game management and unforced errors did.
- interception - Radley
- stupid pass on 5th - Williams
- forward pass - Tomkins
- knock on - Welsby
You forgot Whitehead failing to go to ground rather than trying to throw a wonder ball. But to be quite honest we can go on all night about our errors, at the end of the day we don’t have enough good players.
I disagree we have lots of players good enough. Every English player in the saints team is the best in the world.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Big Steve

Post by Big Steve »

It was a really frustrating game.

Our attack seemed really disorganised most of the game, when we did get Field position we panicked a little and just pushed it too far, execution was just off.

I think it was telling that in a tough game we didn't have a experienced controlling half. Lomax would have made a huge difference.

Our forwards have been great all tournament but they struggled with go forward today. Possibly Samoa slowing down play but also speed and accuracy of pass from the hooker. Compare with Roby's passing off the floor and we were miles off.

Our line speed in defence was down from the PNG game and we let Samoa make too much easy progress out wide from their own 30.

Even with some really soft defence out wide we had enough points in us to win with just a little more composure.

With Lomax at 6 and Roby at 9 I think we pretty easily beat Samoa. Such a shame they both pulled out.