NRL

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ChrisA

NRL

Post by ChrisA »

After watching the way NQL played this morning I was left even more bemused as to why we are so poor in attack, they had so many runners and their line was deep and everyone who made runs was hitting the ball at speed, Jonathan Thurston was having a field day.
It just shows that doing the fundementals right allows you to do the elaborate flambouyant stuff after. We on the other hand are trying to be elaborate without doing the basics and we are falling down every single time we do it. We need to adopt a similar style in the hope we can get something from Orr and Moran, we are stuck with them unfortunately and we have to find a way of getting more out of them.
DaveO

Re: NRL

Post by DaveO »

ChrisA posted:
We need to adopt a similar style in the hope we can get something from Orr and Moran, we are stuck with them unfortunately and we have to find a way of getting more out of them.
That is my attitude. It is no use constantly saying they are rubbish because the alternatives at the club are worse.

Dave

Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Seeing Thurston et al. play makes you realise how much we could get out of Moran. We are forcing him to try and be the creative scrum half he is not. Surely, he would be better supporting breaks up the middle - probably with Godwin making the initial dart. Get Ashton along side in support of the break and its a attacking ploy which plays to the strengths of the players, rather than asking them to play a game they are not comfortable with. Even Kevin Browm is quite quick over a short distance, so supporting up the middle with short runs around the ruck may suit him too.

Give the more creative long ball distribution responsibilities to Orr and O'Loughlin, who both lack the pace over a short distance to contribute around the ruck, but can throw a pass. They can be the link with the wide backs.

And, for gods sake, find someone other than Moran to kick out of our half on the last tackle. When he (rarely) splits the Fullback and wing, its too short. Can't Richards give us an option on the fifth tackle, he can kick it a bit?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

DaveO posted:
ChrisA posted:
We need to adopt a similar style in the hope we can get something from Orr and Moran, we are stuck with them unfortunately and we have to find a way of getting more out of them.
That is my attitude. It is no use constantly saying they are rubbish because the alternatives at the club are worse.

Dave

We have the players to do it, our forwards can make the yardage they have proved that, once Hock is back we have 3 back rowers who all know how to hit gaps and can all pass the ball and offload should they make a break or half break, we have wingers with bags of speed, Richards given some decent ball will be able to supply his winger brilliantly I think. We just need players to offer more in attack, we need the players to make runs, and not just one guy we need 4 or 5 people running at the line offering the halves options, making the opposition unsure of who is getting it, or whether the ball carrier is going to go alone or do a chip or or kick to the corner or whatever, if that happens and then Orr and Moran continually make bad calls then they should be slaughtered for it. I dont see any other clubs in the league who operate an attack as flat as ours all game, they may do it when they are just friving in and playing percetage rugby, but once they get close enough or want to move the ball they stand deeper and attack the ball, they dont receive it stood still.
phibes

Post by phibes »

The failure of our attack to create any uncertainty was obvious on Friday night. Wires opted for the drop goals because they knew we couldn't make enough yardage to get in an attacking position.

We know what went wrong on Friday, but trying to keep positive, what went right against Huddersfield in the first half? As I remember, we played the ball quickly, spread the ball to the left and right, and used dummy runners on both sides of the ruck.

The fact that they couldn't do it in the second half of that game points to a problem beyond tactics - lack of discipline, lack of motivation... can't be arsed... Call it what you like, but our second half stats this year tell their own story.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

phibes posted:

We know what went wrong on Friday, but trying to keep positive, what went right against Huddersfield in the first half? As I remember, we played the ball quickly, spread the ball to the left and right, and used dummy runners on both sides of the ruck.
Odd coincidence that Orr wasn't playing. Long passes to both wings...oh yeah, I remember those.
Vaealikis Girl

Post by Vaealikis Girl »

Cowboys ran right over the top of Broncos didn't they. Never even looked like being a close game.

Did any of you manage to see the Tigers v Saints game? That was one of the best games of footy i've seen for a while.

The theory with a lot of coaches down here is 'if you get the simple things right, the bigger things will come'. Unfortunately my Eels couldn't even get the simple things right this weekend :lol: Not too worried as we seem to start off slow every year.
We'll miss you Freshy!!! Please come back!
- psycho -

Post by - psycho - »

Vaealikis Girl posted:
Cowboys ran right over the top of Broncos didn't they. Never even looked like being a close game.
nice to see my north queensland doing good to start off the enw campaign. was ehart broke when they lost in the fianl i was :(
"what ever happens... we stick together... we stay together... we survive."

-------------------------------------
Vaealikis Girl

Post by Vaealikis Girl »

- psycho - posted:
nice to see my north queensland doing good to start off the enw campaign. was ehart broke when they lost in the fianl i was :(
They have a good squad this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see them go very well. To be honest i was at that game cheering Tigers :D. Firstly because a lot of ex-Eel players (some of my favourites such as Hodgson and Richards) were playing for Tigers. The main reason i was happy about it though was because they knocked out my Eels the week before. I was very devastated :angry:
We'll miss you Freshy!!! Please come back!
southern warrrior

Post by southern warrrior »

just wanted to say that i watched brian carney in his debut for newcastle and he did really well seems to have setled in well scored a good wingers try down the line. made himself a nusience in the middle with the opposition forwards, even got interviewed on the tv afterwards.