All Super League Clubs Bar One Post Huge Losses in 2021

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
the pieman

Re: All Super League Clubs Bar One Post Huge Losses in 2021

Post by the pieman »

fozzieskem wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:14 am I wasn't keen the the bbc world cup coverage if I'm honest,far to many talking heads taking nonsense it only shone for me when Vossy and Mark Wilson ran the commentary but the fluff around the games was poor,C4 just does it far better frankly but that's just me,I have a nasty feeling Sky will pull the plug this year,based only on my gut feeling and if that happens the game is in real trouble.

Yes I'd love to the see the cap scrapped if you have money then go after it all a cap does to me is promote mediocrity and if that's its purpose then its doing a bang up job..
i do agree to an extent with the BBC, but my main gripe and its sort of an ageist comment in that Noble, Davies etc have served their time and should be moved on. Vossy and Mark Wilson were excellent. I like Kyle Amor as a commentator and i liked what James Graham, Jamie Peacock etc added too. they are recent top drawer players, who add a different perspective to the pre / post match analysis, where i think the ones i mentioned earlier now just witter on for the sake of it

Not sure if Sky will pull the plug, but just dont think we are going to get another big deal, and i think it has shown with the effort they put into the coverage, it just feels dated and past its sell by date. So we either need a rethink with them, and freshen it up, plus a nice TV deal, or reduced deal, but allow for other broadcasters to show games and not dictated by Sky. If they do pull the plug, then i do agree the game as a professional game in the UK could be in trouble. The big clubs are currently being supported by wealthy owners, so another 1.x million to find to replace the TV money could be the straw that breaks the camels back
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Brilliant post Pieman 👏🏼👏🏼
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

the pieman wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:42 am
fozzieskem wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:14 am I wasn't keen the the bbc world cup coverage if I'm honest,far to many talking heads taking nonsense it only shone for me when Vossy and Mark Wilson ran the commentary but the fluff around the games was poor,C4 just does it far better frankly but that's just me,I have a nasty feeling Sky will pull the plug this year,based only on my gut feeling and if that happens the game is in real trouble.

Yes I'd love to the see the cap scrapped if you have money then go after it all a cap does to me is promote mediocrity and if that's its purpose then its doing a bang up job..
i do agree to an extent with the BBC, but my main gripe and its sort of an ageist comment in that Noble, Davies etc have served their time and should be moved on. Vossy and Mark Wilson were excellent. I like Kyle Amor as a commentator and i liked what James Graham, Jamie Peacock etc added too. they are recent top drawer players, who add a different perspective to the pre / post match analysis, where i think the ones i mentioned earlier now just witter on for the sake of it

Not sure if Sky will pull the plug, but just dont think we are going to get another big deal, and i think it has shown with the effort they put into the coverage, it just feels dated and past its sell by date. So we either need a rethink with them, and freshen it up, plus a nice TV deal, or reduced deal, but allow for other broadcasters to show games and not dictated by Sky. If they do pull the plug, then i do agree the game as a professional game in the UK could be in trouble. The big clubs are currently being supported by wealthy owners, so another 1.x million to find to replace the TV money could be the straw that breaks the camels back
I'm no spring chicken myself and enjoy a good commentary if it's informative,noble is OK buying do feel Davies should be moved on and as for hunter Paul I long for the day when he's faffing round players warming up he gets hit by a bit prop forward,it's a comedy gold moment waiting to happen I think :).

You're definitely right about Amor he's what I love about a good summariser only adds something when it's relevant he should be being headhunted by companies for when he retires he's that good,I had high hopes for Wilkin but sadly he seems to have to take the Phil Clarke route of saying something controversial to me though it's tiresome,sadly I add Peacock to that group as well his mini rant after England got knocked out smelled of sour grapes when he was droning on about reviews etc,the same sort of review got him and Sinfield the sack last time but maybe that's just me.
bonbon

Post by bonbon »

the pieman wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:56 am
fozzieskem wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:20 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:43 pm The game in general needs to generate more income, hopefully IMG can influence that.
Nothing I've seen mate fills.me with much confidence we shall see of course but it's all been done before,maybe though their experience with promoting the game can help grow the wheelchair game and women's rugby league but as for finding the promised land for the men's game I suspect will remain elusive
i think their biggest challenge is getting owners / clubs / fans to accept that the change is required for the long term good of the game. There may be short term pain for some clubs, but we cant keep being a dog wagged by its tail. Why should a well managed club / one with a wealthy owner not invest in a playing squad because club x (or most of Yorkshire) want to prevent the game from moving forwards. I'm hoping that there are licences issued and done properly, and not buckle cos Cas and HKR (i think) challenged the gradings, even though they werent at that level and then give them the grade. It needs to be fair, open and honest from day 1. All clubs should know what they need to have in place to be a grade A / tier1 club, and if they arent, they need to put a plan in place at achieve that, no good just saying its not fair etc etc

i would start with stadium (doesnt matter if you own one or not), but it has to be at whatever the standard defined is. That means that Cas and Wakey for example are not tier 1 clubs, and we dont buy into the we are getting a new ground for the next 25 years rubbish, they are made to do something about it to achieve that status.

playing rosta, should be minimum of 1st team, reserves, academy, ladies, and to be considered tier 1 PDRL and wheelchair. that shows the clubs intention, not only to play SL rugby (or whatever it may get called), but the backbone of the club and inclusivity. For far too long clubs have relied on Wiga, Saints, Leeds and formerly Hull to produce a good crop of youngsters to fill their teams. they know they all cant get a gig at Wigan / Saints, so they pick up the ones who are moved on. All clubs should have a minimum number of their own grown academy players in the squad (note this isnt we should all have 17 home grown players), but a realistic number supplemented by players signed from other clubs and overseas players

i'd like to see the number of overseas players in each team dropped down to 3 over a number of years. It should be for the likes of Brett Kenny, Peter Stirling, Steve Ella, Gene Miles, Greg Dowling, Jamie Lyon etc, not just a payday for later life, as a lot arent adding value to the league IMO and could easily be replaced by a home grown player

salary cap i'd like to see it scrapped personally, or if it needs to stay, then it should be modified to be a %age of annual revenue and audited accordingly. You'll still get people complaining that club x spends more than club Y, it happens today when all the clubs get the same amount from TV money and dont spent it all. If they want to spend more, then they need to work to market their own club and generate revenue streams

TV, as the world cup has just shown and with C4 last season, free to air TV is the best marketing place for the game generally. You cant knock what SKY have done over a prolonged period, but it feels like they are just using us as a space filler now, and the money coming in will reduce again at the next contract negotiations. BBC coverage of the WC was top drawer, and as someone who usually criticises them should be applauded. C4 got their coverage bang on, with decent presenters, and mixing up the players who added a different perspective to the pre and post match debate
Couldn't agree more Pieman, I've been saying this for years.
Wigan turnin Blue-My arse
The future is bright, the future is Cherry & White
ANCIENT & LOYAL 1872
Wigan RLFC not just a religion

To do list
Win World Club Challenge-2021
Win Challenge Cup-2021
Win Super League-2020
Win League Leaders Shield-2020