Super League set for rebrand as IMG plot name change for rugby league competition

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
PJC

Re: Super League set for rebrand as IMG plot name change for rugby league competition

Post by PJC »

There is an interesting article on Love RL covering the changes mentioned above. The RL bosses seem almost obsessed with producing a quicker game where the ball is in play as much as possible. Their argument ,and one with which I agree , is that any sport needs breaks in play that build up spectator anticipation. Their example is NFL where there is much less ball in play time. Not a game that I understand or enjoy but it is popular.
I think that we have a game where handling skills and fitness levels are second to none but if we are not careful a game that has less variety.
the pieman

Re: Super League set for rebrand as IMG plot name change for rugby league competition

Post by the pieman »

PJC wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:20 am There is an interesting article on Love RL covering the changes mentioned above. The RL bosses seem almost obsessed with producing a quicker game where the ball is in play as much as possible. Their argument ,and one with which I agree , is that any sport needs breaks in play that build up spectator anticipation. Their example is NFL where there is much less ball in play time. Not a game that I understand or enjoy but it is popular.
I think that we have a game where handling skills and fitness levels are second to none but if we are not careful a game that has less variety.
i've not seen the artcile but it is an interesting view as i reckon most supporters want to see the ball in play, and are complaining when scrums are being reformed, someone wasting time for a drop out etc

i've seen stats over recent years, and RL in terms of ball in play v football / RU is considerable. Football was less than 50% / RU was even less, but RL was somewhere in region of 80%. this wasnt an article but various things i have seen / read / heard over a number of years

so in terms of value for money, are we getting more value by the ball being in play?

i had the opportunity to speak to Brian Noble a few years ago when he was GB coach as his brother was our MD. He wanted the POB slowing down then, as he believed it would generate / create more creative players. They would need to use playing skills to break up the defensive line as it would most likely be set if the POB was slowed down by 1-2s for example. thats probably a simple answer to what the article is suggesting.
PJC

Post by PJC »

Pieman…If you go to “Love Rugby League “ the article is under “Are ball in play stats overrated “ and scroll down.
culinator

Post by culinator »

Power League?
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

They should try and get a massive sponsor that will stay for at least a decade like in the NRL, use the company name with Super 13 on the end, Imagine the possibilities.

Barclays Super 13
Shell Super 13
Tesco Super 13
Triumph Super 13
etc etc etc
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

medlocke wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:21 pm They should run a competition for the fans to rename it, Give an all expenses paid Grand Final weekend prize to the winner (2 tickets, refreshments, meals, souvenirs, hotel & travel), there's bound to be someone clever enough out there to come up with a great name and it would surely generate a buzz with us fans

Could maybe pick the top ten then have an online vote with the runners up getting Club shirts and two tickets to a game of their choice
Picking up on Med's post. Do you remember Dean Bell's book "ultimate Warrior" Linking "ultimate Rugby" to Med's idea of using a major sponsors name for example "Bell's Whisky say, Bell's Whisky's Ultimate Rugby"(or. Whoever the sponsor happens to be) The attraction of this is reverses the shorthand of Rugby Union ie RU to UR ie. Ultimate Rugby and in doing so ostensively takes ownership of "Rugby" and effectively ellivates our game above Union so to speak!
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I have to agree with Meds on this one. We should have the number 13 somewhere in the branding. It's one of our USP's and immediately points out a major difference from union.
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

southportcdm wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:40 am I have to agree with Meds on this one. We should have the number 13 somewhere in the branding. It's one of our USP's and immediately points out a major difference from union.
I agree if that is your aim. However my point in my post is to see " Ultimate Rugby" as an acronym for Rugby League bringing together the synonyms of "Ultimate" such as greatest, insurpassable,unrivalled,unmatchable ,quintessential incomparable et. al being the best of it's kind.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

medlocke wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:51 am They should try and get a massive sponsor that will stay for at least a decade like in the NRL, use the company name with Super 13 on the end, Imagine the possibilities.

Barclays Super 13
Shell Super 13
Tesco Super 13
Triumph Super 13
etc etc etc
Heinz Super 13
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:20 pm
medlocke wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:51 am They should try and get a massive sponsor that will stay for at least a decade like in the NRL, use the company name with Super 13 on the end, Imagine the possibilities.

Barclays Super 13
Shell Super 13
Tesco Super 13
Triumph Super 13
etc etc etc
Heinz Super 13
Good shout