Batemans's departure confirmed

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Batemans's departure confirmed

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2022/12/ ... ave-wigan/

With immediate effect.

Club saving his salary plus a substantial transfer fee received. No replacement forthcoming

EW
2002 and EW is hooked
josie andrews

Re: Batemans's departure confirmed

Post by josie andrews »

I think as soon as him & his partner had the baby boy together it was on the cards he would go back. She has been back for quite a while.

Bateman, IMO, hasn’t been as interested in being at Wigan or for England since he came back & didn’t display his potential from when he was here before or in the NRL.

Plus, throwing in marquee money for 4 years, how much is marquee in Oz?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Oz paper!
Bateman inks lengthy Tigers deal as English club airs ‘frustrations’

English international John Bateman is the latest marquee signing in Wests Tigers’ roster overhaul after the joint-venture club confirmed a significant four-year deal to bring him back to the NRL.

Bateman, 29, has been in talks for several months with the Tigers and has now been reluctantly released by Super League heavyweights Wigan.

John Bateman is back in the NRL, leaving Wigan to sign a four-year deal with the Wests Tigers
A “significant transfer fee” was the source of much wrangling between the clubs, with suggestions the Tigers paid up to $250,000 to secure Bateman’s release. Transfer fees do not count towards the NRL salary cap.

A four-year deal will see Bateman turn 33 by the time his contract is up in 2026, making he and fellow recruit David Klemmer (who has a mutual option for 2026) the longest signings on the Tigers books.

The club has also been pursuing Eels star Mitchell Moses, who is expected to become the game’s next million-dollar playmaker as he weighs up approaches from the Tigers, Bulldogs and Parramatta’s own four-year offer.

Along with Klemmer and grand finalists Api Koroisau and Isaiah Papali’i, Bateman heralds a revamped forward pack under veteran coach Tim Sheens.

“He’s a world-class player with an enormous work ethic,” Sheens said.

“He’s the type of player who leads by example. I have no doubt John will make a big contribution to this club over the next few years.”

Bateman made a splash during a two-year stint with the Raiders, playing a significant role in Canberra’s 2019 grand final run and preliminary final appearance the next season.

His first NRL stint was cut short when family reasons and a lucrative offer from Wigan lured him back to England.

The Super League club’s press release confirming Bateman’s exit referenced “somewhat of a frustrating period” regarding the back-rower’s talks recent talks with the Tigers.

Wigan have also detailed the back-and-forth of negotiations and their interactions with Bateman, a rarity in official press releases.

In a statement issued by the Tigers, Bateman said the overhaul being steered by Sheens and eventual successor Benji Marshall saw him take up the wooden spooners’ offer.

“I can’t wait to begin a new chapter at a club that I know is going places,” Bateman said.

“There has been a lot of change at Wests Tigers over the past few months and everything I hear is positive.

“I want to be a part of the rebuild at the club and I’m really excited to be coming back to the NRL.”

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/batema ... 5c8u8.html
What a load of sh**e? Good riddance! 😠
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I do get the feeling he didn’t want to come back to be honest but there where no takers in the NRL at that time somwigan became a stop gap,I agree Josie he’s not looked the same player that left and sadly it leave a bit of a sour taste in the mouth lessened only by the fact the club got a decent fee for him it seems.

As for his new club..well they ain’t going to be contenders anytime soon.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

fozzieskem wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:38 am I do get the feeling he didn’t want to come back to be honest but there where no takers in the NRL at that time somwigan became a stop gap,I agree Josie he’s not looked the same player that left and sadly it leave a bit of a sour taste in the mouth lessened only by the fact the club got a decent fee for him it seems.

As for his new club..well they ain’t going to be contenders anytime soon.
That’s what I think & hope for now, but that won’t bother Bateman he’s on a good wedge for 4 years & that’s the most important thing to him!

He used the Covid excuse to come back to England cos no NRL club would sign him at that time & used Wigan to get back there!
Levrier

Post by Levrier »

I do not buy the line " we first found out on..."this has been on going since last season. I would not want to be stuck with a panic buy but we are going to be very short in the back row at the end of the season. I hope that the plan is to bring in a quality replacement. It looks like it could be a big year for N'semba.
adam0026

Post by adam0026 »

West tigers messing about for months cost Wigan getting a replacement.
Targets will have been lost and gone to other clubs

The club know what they are doing and will sort a quality replacement out when ones availible
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

Just used us to get back here during covid as a paying supporter once again I feel that we have been let down with greed and dishonesty good riddance
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

There'll be no good luck from me.
Yet another tyke empties his bladder on us!!
Last edited by Wandering Warrior on Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Good riddance

Please stop bringing players back Mr Lenners, It rarely works

:(