Batemans's departure confirmed

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Batemans's departure confirmed

Post by Charriots Offiah »

morley pie eater wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:49 pm I'm not concerned with post mortems, but this is a get-out-of-jail card for Wigan. Batty has been ok for us, but not worth marquee money. We get shut and pocket £150k or thereabouts.

Secondly, there's no immediate need to panic about a replacement. We have KPP for this year with Isa as solid cover, so we can take a year for succession planning.

I'd hope we use the cap space to make a quality signing, maybe a prop, or (dare I say it) a 9 to give the moaners' club a rest?
Succession planning is key but, unfortunately, we don’t appear to be good at it.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:43 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:49 pm I'm not concerned with post mortems, but this is a get-out-of-jail card for Wigan. Batty has been ok for us, but not worth marquee money. We get shut and pocket £150k or thereabouts.

Secondly, there's no immediate need to panic about a replacement. We have KPP for this year with Isa as solid cover, so we can take a year for succession planning.

I'd hope we use the cap space to make a quality signing, maybe a prop, or (dare I say it) a 9 to give the moaners' club a rest?
Succession planning is key but, unfortunately, we don’t appear to be good at it.
Agreed there doesn't seem to be a long term and coherent plan at Wigan at times
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:24 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:04 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:00 pm

He was still under contract at Canberra when he returned to Wigan.
Hadn’t Canberra already told him he wasn’t staying at the club?
He signed a three year contract. Bateman was in the 'dream' team so I am sure many clubs would have been interested in him.
Yea he was after more money,they said no go and he was shipped about by his agent next thing he was coming back that's as I recall the way of it with covid providing the cover of saving face.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

We’ve got young Brad O’Neill & an even younger Tom Forber in the wings 😊

Just hope Smithies is rewarded with the 13 shirt he deserves it & is a loose forward. Thought he would have got it when Lockers retired, but it was wasted on a second rower who didn’t deserve it IMO
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:23 am I think as soon as him & his partner had the baby boy together it was on the cards he would go back. She has been back for quite a while.

Bateman, IMO, hasn’t been as interested in being at Wigan or for England since he came back & didn’t display his potential from when he was here before or in the NRL.

Plus, throwing in marquee money for 4 years, how much is marquee in Oz?
Saw on red button text or elsewhere that the salary cap in Oz from the beginning of the next season is £6million+ or 3x Superleague salary cap which explains why they can attract the best players from around the world.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

ian.birchall wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:52 pm
josie andrews wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:23 am I think as soon as him & his partner had the baby boy together it was on the cards he would go back. She has been back for quite a while.

Bateman, IMO, hasn’t been as interested in being at Wigan or for England since he came back & didn’t display his potential from when he was here before or in the NRL.

Plus, throwing in marquee money for 4 years, how much is marquee in Oz?
Saw on red button text or elsewhere that the salary cap in Oz from the beginning of the next season is £6million+ or 3x Superleague salary cap which explains why they can attract the best players from around the world.
Plus John Bateman
The Pearl1

Post by The Pearl1 »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:32 am I said all along he wasn’t worth marquee money & was questioned "why do you not like Bateman"?

It wasn’t based on like or dislike, he just didn’t do it for me. He never made me jump up out of my seat to see what he could do, unlike French Field or Marshall!

They are more deserving of marquee than some second rower like Bateman, maybe in his first stint.

I’d sooner have given it to Farrell, as a second row player, who excites, as the backs above do, when they get the ball.

Plus, he was never deserving of the 13 shirt after all the excellent players who have worn that shirt before for Wigan Warriors
I thought you didnt like him because he doesn’t give you “cuddles and kisses” :D
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Think Wigan have had a lucky escape here with Bateman leaving.
Marquee signing or at least a big wage off the bill, when he hasn’t been anywhere near that since he’s comeback.
Been a solid player at best since he’s come back
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:48 pm

Just hope Smithies is rewarded with the 13 shirt he deserves it & is a loose forward. Thought he would have got it when Lockers retired, but it was wasted on a second rower who didn’t deserve it IMO
Brad could turn out to be a good loose forward.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:57 pm
josie andrews wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:48 pm

Brad could turn out to be a good loose forward.
Why play someone out of position when they should be playing their original position in the first place