Wigan Warriors 2022 Season Review

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Wigan Warriors 2022 Season Review

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:04 am There was a lot more positives than negatives, the only real avoidable blunder for me was bringing undercooked Powell back in such a crucial match when O'Neills form said he shoud stay genuinely believe we would have beaten leeds

That said the rest of the season was pretty good, high standard of rugby

my only concern is moving into next year is in how much Briers brought of that, thats not to say Peet didnt have a hand in it but he's been around the club for a while, Briers was the only new influence and i feel like it showed.

We were sometimes too reliant on Field and French and we need to be better at getting out our own 20

All in all though i dont think you can say any season in which you win a Trophy is a bad one
I said those exact words leaving the stadium, as it was the coach’s fault that we lost the game, (as well as Bateman’s stupid sin bin)!

I got some terrible looks& a lot of grumblings for what I thought was ‘speaking honestly’ IMO
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
The Pearl1

Post by The Pearl1 »

Anyone complaining about 2022 needs to remember just how dire 2021.

It far exceeded my expectations.

As has been said it was a pleasure to go to games not a chore.

Style of play was brilliant.

Young players took a big step forward (Smith, Smithies, Byrne)

Competed with saints a lot better (2 wins, 1 bad defeat and one last minute defeat)

Field and French amazing.

Head coach reconnected fans with the club.

Obviously getting a trophy.

Ended sour but that’s sport.

Looking forward to this year.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

josie andrews wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:23 am
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:04 am There was a lot more positives than negatives, the only real avoidable blunder for me was bringing undercooked Powell back in such a crucial match when O'Neills form said he shoud stay genuinely believe we would have beaten leeds

my only concern is moving into next year is in how much Briers brought of that, thats not to say Peet didnt have a hand in it but he's been around the club for a while, Briers was the only new influence and i feel like it showed.

We were sometimes too reliant on Field and French and we need to be better at getting out our own 20

All in all though i dont think you can say any season in which you win a Trophy is a bad one
I said those exact words leaving the stadium, as it was the coach’s fault that we lost the game, (as well as Bateman’s stupid sin bin)!

I got some terrible looks& a lot of grumblings for what I thought was ‘speaking honestly’ IMO
Yeah - it’s was one of the few calls matty et al got wrong it was just unfortunate it was such a big one

I think regardless of where you stand on Powell it’s wasn’t fair or right to bring him back in to such a game underdone - if he had been fit and sharp we still probably beat Leeds

Leeds where on such a high going into that game and we had decent form but such a big change took out momentum away for me once you hit the finals you got with whoever is in the team winning games regardless of rep or status

I understand why exceptions are made for players like lockers when he was often the difference but I still think momentum is everything in the final few games
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
jobo

Post by jobo »

The Pearl1 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:37 am Anyone complaining about 2022 needs to remember just how dire 2021.

Competed with saints a lot better (2 wins, 1 bad defeat and one last minute defeat)

Hear hear.

As a whole, last season for me, far exceeded expectations and it's just a pity that it ended in the way that it did.

For this season we've strengthened, mostly where we needed to so, it's onwards and upwards.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

jobo wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:02 pm
The Pearl1 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:37 am Anyone complaining about 2022 needs to remember just how dire 2021.

Hear hear.

As a whole, last season for me, far exceeded expectations and it's just a pity that it ended in the way that it did.

For this season we've strengthened, mostly where we needed to so, it's onwards and upwards.
I do agree with a lot with what you’re saying but there’s nothing wrong if you want more improvement from or within the team. That’s what makes you the best and keeps you on your toes, and to make sure you don’t get comfortable and start becoming complacent
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:46 pm

Yeah - it’s was one of the few calls matty et al got wrong it was just unfortunate it was such a big one

I think regardless of where you stand on Powell it’s wasn’t fair or right to bring him back in to such a game underdone - if he had been fit and sharp we still probably beat Leeds

Leeds where on such a high going into that game and we had decent form but such a big change took out momentum away for me once you hit the finals you got with whoever is in the team winning games regardless of rep or status

I understand why exceptions are made for players like lockers when he was often the difference but I still think momentum is everything in the final few games
I completely agree that it was a huge mistake playing Powell, as you say, he wasn’t match fit, and I’m not a Powell basher.

I like Sam and his commitment to Wigan Warriors. I know a lot of you don’t ‘like’ him, but he has remained loyal to Wigan & he is well liked by players, coaches & everyone of the backroom staff for his work ethic.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

It was plain dumb to pick Powell that night and I do feel it may well.of cost wigan a Gf place but we will never know,no player is or should be an automatic choice after injury,buy overall Peet got most things right last season but the loss of Briers will be felt badly this season.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

josie andrews wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:42 pm

I completely agree that it was a huge mistake playing Powell, as you say, he wasn’t match fit, and I’m not a Powell basher.

I like Sam and his commitment to Wigan Warriors. I know a lot of you don’t ‘like’ him, but he has remained loyal to Wigan & he is well liked by players, coaches & everyone of the backroom staff for his work ethic.
I’m sorry Josie but that’s the problem with the club. You shouldn’t be keeping a player because he’s good to have around and people like him.
I appreciate he’s loyal but it you want to move forward as a club you should have a player in the team if he’s the best we can have in that position, especially with it being hooker.
I’m not arguing with you, just making a point.
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

josie andrews wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:42 pm

Willie isa is well liked at the club as well been here for a long time and is a good leader but 99% of people on here don’t want to keep him next season. Can u spot the difference between Powell and isa ? It’s definitely not ability
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

You all have your opinions, this board wouldn’t be as lively if we were all the same in outlook 😊