Barrow friendly

Organise your next away trip, see who else is going or even arrange group transport with other Wigan fans.
w.thomas

Barrow friendly

Post by w.thomas »

Got my tickets for the preseason friendly in barmy barrow. I’ve heard it’s like the Cumbrian version of York 🤪 does anyone know of any delightful public houses or decent places to have a spot of lunch? What’s the locals like? Last time I went away (CAS) it was like visiting Afghanistan only colder with less hospitality. Any information would be much appreciated. Cheers
Blackpool_Pie

Re: Barrow friendly

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Barrow is a strange night out. One stretch of bars and a few pubs dotted around. One night out I went there and went down the stretch with all the bars and it was absolutely dead at around 10pm so we went to spoons until last orders. Got chatting to a couple of local lads who said they were going to the bars after. I said we had been there around an hour or so ago and no one was around and they were all closed. We went with them and about 8 or 9 bars and/or clubs were open and absolutely packed to the rafters. And this was a midweek day. Felt like I was tripping
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

w.thomas wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:54 pm Got my tickets for the preseason friendly in barmy barrow. I’ve heard it’s like the Cumbrian version of York 🤪 does anyone know of any delightful public houses or decent places to have a spot of lunch? What’s the locals like? Last time I went away (CAS) it was like visiting Afghanistan only colder with less hospitality. Any information would be much appreciated. Cheers
More like Cumbrian version of Grimsby, Thank god I live the other side of the estuary, :D

Not sure about Ale as it's been 20 years since I've touched the stuff, there's a Brewers Fayre and a Hungry Horse near to Craven Park, other places include the Ferry on Walney, can get a decent carvery from there, Kapadokya on Dalton Road if your into Turkish & Mediterranean food, Olympic Chippy always a good shout, Taj Mahal on Cavendish street, a bit further a field if your thinking of something on the way home are The Clarkes at Rampside, Brown Cow in Dalton, The Farmers Baycliff, The General Burgoyne in Great Urswick, Old Farmhouse in Ulverston and Crakeside Chippy in Greenodd to name a few

also a Burger King, KFC & McDonalds next to ground
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

w.thomas wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:54 pm Got my tickets for the preseason friendly in barmy barrow. I’ve heard it’s like the Cumbrian version of York 🤪 does anyone know of any delightful public houses or decent places to have a spot of lunch? What’s the locals like? Last time I went away (CAS) it was like visiting Afghanistan only colder with less hospitality. Any information would be much appreciated. Cheers
We’ve got our tickets for Whitehaven, if the weather continues like this, rain, it will be called off, like it was several years ago, only then we were coming off the motorway when we found out. It has severe drainage problems at Whitehaven.

We have booked an eatery in Keswick for this first friendly.

Barrow have a nice little clubhouse. But we again are booked in somewhere for this game. There is a belting chippy in Barrow we went to the last time we played, when the only player we could recognise, it was torrential rain & a mud Bath, was Morgan Escare & we could recognise Jarrod Sammut because of his beard which was full of mud 😂😂

Medlocke maybe able to help you 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:27 pm Barrow is a strange night out. One stretch of bars and a few pubs dotted around. One night out I went there and went down the stretch with all the bars and it was absolutely dead at around 10pm so we went to spoons until last orders. Got chatting to a couple of local lads who said they were going to the bars after. I said we had been there around an hour or so ago and no one was around and they were all closed. We went with them and about 8 or 9 bars and/or clubs were open and absolutely packed to the rafters. And this was a midweek day. Felt like I was tripping
Hahaha, The Gaza Strip, cracking night out, you had to watch your sen though, didn't call it the Gaza for fun like, don't think there's anything left on there anymore, used to be awesome early 90's like
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

Some good reply’s there, thank you. Sounds like there’s plenty of places grab some food. Only going up there for the day so won’t be sampling the nightlife unfortunately! Im hoping the weather clears up and we get a sunny barrow heatwave! Haha
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Wouldn't get too excited, Barrow isn't a nice place at all a that's putting it nicely.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Dan2266 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:06 am
Wouldn't get too excited, Barrow isn't a nice place at all a that's putting it nicely.
We went to the pre season friendly before Covid & we found the places we visited okay.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

josie andrews wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:58 pm
Dan2266 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:06 am
We went to the pre season friendly before Covid & we found the places we visited okay.
The exterior is Josie, a lot of the inner areas are not as good, suppose it's like most big towns and cities though, When I do visit I like to leave as soon as possible, I't's a 52 mile/hour and a half round trip from Millom, I've been known to stay for only 15 minutes before coming home :D , quicker by train but then you have to walk and end up on stuck on the wind tunnel that is Barrow station :lol:
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

I've a mate who i go and stay with for a night or two every so often who lives in Dalton on furness and that's a lovely little area only about 10 mins away on the train. A couple of nice little pubs down there as well.