Morgan Smithies discusses how being the club's new number 13 will help him to get out of his comfort zone

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Morgan Smithies discusses how being the club's new number 13 will help him to get out of his comfort zone

Post by josie andrews »

Morgan Smithies says he is determined to step up after being named Wigan Warriors’ new number 13.

The 22-year-old takes over the jersey ahead of the 2023 season, following the departure of John Bateman.

Smithies states he was surprised when he found out which number he would be wearing, but now hopes he can use it as an incentive to get out of his comfort zone.

“I was buzzing when I found out,” he said.

I really wasn’t expecting it, even with Batty (John Bateman) leaving.

“I thought they might give it to Faz (Liam Farrell) and keep it in the Wigan tradition, so I was absolutely buzzing and made up to get that number.

“It was definitely a nice gesture from the club, and Matty (Peet) and Rads (Kris Radlinski).

“I was very surprised, but now it’s just time for me to step up, because with that number standards get higher, so I’m looking to perform even better week in, week out.

That pressure brings the best out of people, and it will bring the best out of me.

There’s only been a few previous number 13s, so I probably know them all off the top of my head.

“Lockers (Sean O’Loughlin) had it for a long time, then Batty, and now it’s me, so it’s now my time to leave my mark on the number.

In the past few years I’ve gone about my business quite quietly, but now it’s time for me to be a bit more of a leader off the field.

“On the field I’m always leading by my actions, but now I need to speak up in meetings and in the changing rooms a bit more.

“I like keeping my head down, working hard, keeping myself to myself, but it’s about coming out of my comfort zone now and finding my voice.”

Wigan’s first outing of 2023 comes this weekend, as a squad made up of young players make the trip to the Recreation Ground to take on Whitehaven (K.O. 3pm).

This is followed by another trip to Cumbria to face Barrow Raiders on January 29, before Sam Powell’s testimonial game against Salford Red Devils at the DW Stadium on February 5.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... ne-3988082
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wandering Warrior

Re: Morgan Smithies discusses how being the club's new number 13 will help him to get out of his comfort zone

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Other big 13's for him to follow are Hanley and Andy Faz.
Long before his time. :D
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Blackpool_Pie

Re: Morgan Smithies discusses how being the club's new number 13 will help him to get out of his comfort zone

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Sounds a very humble lad. Absolutely love his work rate. Maybe not quite got his all round game going just yet but he really gets himself about the park. It'll be interesting to see how he develops his attacking game this season
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Wandering Warrior wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:12 pm Other big 13's for him to follow are Hanley and Andy Faz.
Long before his time. :D
Made me feel old, despite only being 31, to hear of a player talk about the number 13 jersey and not mention Farrell.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Good news, He has the skills to become the best 13 since Farrell, look forward to him making the position his own
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

medlocke wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:08 am Good news, He has the skills to become the best 13 since Farrell, look forward to him making the position his own
Would you agree he's already twice the player Lockers ever was Meds?
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I dont think he needs to do anything with his attack not all 13's are going to be like Lockers and Farrell

He should work on the things he is really good at which is work rate and defence and become consistent and excellent in them

I can see him being like a Paul Gallen style 13
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:48 am
medlocke wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:08 am Good news, He has the skills to become the best 13 since Farrell, look forward to him making the position his own

Meds, you really do mean Sean O’Loughlin?? Although it did take several years for you to acknowledge this! 😉

B Pie. Don’t encourage him! It took me years for him to agree with me that Lockers has been our best ever LF 😂
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:55 pm

Meds, you really do mean Sean O’Loughlin?? Although it did take several years for you to acknowledge this! 😉

B Pie. Don’t encourage him! It took me years for him to agree with me that Lockers has been our best ever LF 😂
I'm just gutted we can't move Powell there now :cry: , Did Powell ever play 2nd row ? :D
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:55 pm

Poacher turned gamekeeper?
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐