Whitehaven v Wigan - this weekend!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
No straw damn us

Re: Whitehaven v Wigan - this weekend!

Post by No straw damn us »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:14 pm
pearsy wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:29 pm Bet not many of the first team will play
Think it’s all the young players for this game, maybe introduce a few older players for Barrow then perhaps a full squad for Sam Powell’s testimonial game 😊
Confirmed as an academy/reserves squad back in Ocober.
https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2022/10/ ... -friendly/
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

EDINBURGH-WARRIOR wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:19 am
Blackpool_Pie wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:25 pm Keith Mason really loves himself doesn't he? Look at that picture 😅😅
Complete clown . Sounds like one of parents who put that much pressure on their son to succeed they are doomed for failure . Trying to put pressure on the lad and the club in this way is stupid .
Wish the lad well though (despite his father)

EW
Not always the case pal…… it worked for shaun edwards
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Whitehaven prepare for Wigan match

Whitehaven are preparing for the visit of Wigan on Sunday, lifted by their opening performance to regain the Ike Southward Memorial Trophy.

The Super League club will send a team of fringe first teamers, reserves and top Academy products.

Haven director of rugby Gary Charlton said: “Whatever team Wigan put out it will be a decent one ands it will provide a strong test for us.

We have two very good warm-up games for the fans as I know that Castleford are sending a full strength squad next week, which will be something to look forward to.”

Whitehaven were able to use the bulk of their squad in the 22-6 win over Workington and that will be the plan against Wigan, too.

One absentee was the Brazilian international Jorge Cabral who has joined Haven on trial but was unavailable on Sunday.

He is expected to feature against Wigan along with fellow trialist Ross Ainley, John Hutchings and Lewis Fairhurst who all played against Town.

Fairhurst, who slotted the last points of the game with a conversion, looked particularly sharp in his time on the field.

“I thought it was a good work-out. Both teams were committed and went at each other and there’s a good base to work on.

“It was a decent crowd and as a club we are hoping the fans will be out in force for these two attractive games against Wigan and Castleford,” said Charlton.

Rugby League funding has dropped to £40,000 this season when it was over £100,000 three years ago and any form of income is vital to clubs like Whitehaven.

Getting through the upcoming season financially unscathed is Whitehaven’s target in the hope that under IMG guidelines there will be a more even playing field in 2024.

https://cumbriacrack.com/2023/01/18/whi ... gan-match/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

"Rugby League funding has dropped to £40,000 this season when it was over £100,000 three years ago and any form of income is vital to clubs like Whitehaven."

That's disturbing...

Last edited by widdenoldboy on Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

widdenoldboy wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:31 pm "Rugby League funding has dropped to £40,000 this season when it was over £100,000 three years ago and any form of income is vital to clubs like Whitehaven."

That's disturbing...
Where have you got this from? Is there a link?
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
The Pearl1

Post by The Pearl1 »

No straw damn us wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:08 pm
Think it’s all the young players for this game, maybe introduce a few older players for Barrow then perhaps a full squad for Sam Powell’s testimonial game 😊
Yeah one of the games will be entirely young lads, the other one will be a mix and the Salford game will be the entire first team.

Last year against Newcastle thunder was a mixed line but

Wigan Warriors: Jai Field, Abbas Miski, Sam Halsall, Kai Pearce-Paul, Zach Eckersley, Harry Smith, Logan Astley, Morgan Smithies, Brad O’Neill, Patrick Mago, Junior Nsemba, James McDonnell, Joe Shorrocks

Seems crazy in hind sight field played in that but we didn’t know exactly what we had at the time.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

No straw damn us wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:08 pm
Yes I know, I posted the link back then 😊
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:20 pm
widdenoldboy wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:31 pm "Rugby League funding has dropped to £40,000 this season when it was over £100,000 three years ago and any form of income is vital to clubs like Whitehaven."

That's disturbing...
It was from the post above, just that bit caught my eye - I've added the link now :)

the pieman

Post by the pieman »

widdenoldboy wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:35 am
josie andrews wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:20 pm

That's disturbing...
It was from the post above, just that bit caught my eye - I've added the link now :)

pretty sure it was all down to the last TV deal which saw SL clubs take a smaller cut, but equally other clubs got less of the money too

There was quite a lot of falling out about it if i recall correctly (at club level)

The big thing about Cumbria as an example is just how much they actually do bring to SL, without having an actual presence. I'll bet there are players at most (if not all) SL clubs from Cumbria, so funding to keep these teams alive is essential for the longer term future of the game
Jonh

Post by Jonh »

EDINBURGH-WARRIOR wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:19 am
Blackpool_Pie wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:25 pm Keith Mason really loves himself doesn't he? Look at that picture 😅😅
Complete clown . Sounds like one of parents who put that much pressure on their son to succeed they are doomed for failure . Trying to put pressure on the lad and the club in this way is stupid .
Wish the lad well though (despite his father)

EW
The bloke has some serious issues. You only need to check out his social media to see that.

His lad is nowhere near SL yet and won’t be for a good few years if ever.