Should SL scrap or keep the on-field try or no try decision?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Should SL scrap or keep the on-field try or no try decision?

Post by josie andrews »

THE on-field ruling of a try or a no try to then be sent to the video referee was first introduced into the NRL.

The ruling was introduced in a bid to help video referees. In truth, it has actually stifled them from making a decision completely off their own bat.

Video referees can only refuse to award a try if there is ‘sufficient’ evidence that the on-field decision can be overturned.

But, is sufficient evidence subjective? What may be sufficient for one referee may not be sufficient for another.

Also, sometimes the on-field officials could well be guessing at an outcome. On-field officials are forced into a split-second decision and they do not, unlike video officials, have the luxury of replays.

With that in mind, even though there is some slight evidence on a replay that the on-field official’s decision can be reversed, that is not good enough.

Yet, if the on-field official had gone the other way, then the video referee would have had to agree with that judgement too.

It’s overcomplicating what should be a simple decision-making process – let the video referee, who has all the technology at hand, make the decision purely from the square in the air.

Of course, critics of this rule change would point to the fact that video officials still get decisions wrong – that is true, but at least it would alleviate some of the pressure on on-field referees who already have dozens of things to think about in just one passage of play.

This is where the idea of a video referee at every Super League game comes back into it. To get that aura of consistency it is imperative that technology follows every top flight game within the next couple of seasons.

https://www.totalrl.com/should-super-le ... -decision/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Should SL scrap or keep the on-field try or no try decision?

Post by josie andrews »

YES! A 1000 times Yes! I hate it!

It doesn’t matter if you’re a ref, a video ref, a player, a coach or a supporter, we all see things differently.
So for me the on-field ref should have the courage of his own convictions & make the decision himself instead of relying on someone else.

The VR should only be used for infringements ie obstructions, off side knock on’s etc IMO 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Scrap it for sure
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I disagree

the rule was brought in because the on field Refs were sending everything to the video ref to sort out. This slowed the game down more and made it nearly every try going that way whether it was contentious or not.

I dont buy that the ref shouldnt have the pressure of the decision they did prior to VR so i dont see it as extra workload or pressure

However i would change the system.

Personally i would do away with the VR from the referee and put in a captains challenge, so all decisions are made by on field ref unless challenged. If challenged the VR gets 30 seconds to review and see if there is anything obviously wrong with the on field refs choice if he cant in 30 seconds the decision stands
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

It was brought in because everyone hated the old way. I think just going back to that is a bad idea. I think the captains challenge is a route worth exploring, provided of course that the VR isn't going to take the refs side 99% of the time, like they do now.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Supporters will never be happy, whatever the system. What I learned on the terraces at Central Park was "Look in tomorrow's papers"!
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

morley pie eater wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:18 pm Supporters will never be happy, whatever the system. What I learned on the terraces at Central Park was "Look in tomorrow's papers"!
I would be happy if the brought the corner flags back in to play
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:44 am I disagree

the rule was brought in because the on field Refs were sending everything to the video ref to sort out. This slowed the game down more and made it nearly every try going that way whether it was contentious or not.

I dont buy that the ref shouldnt have the pressure of the decision they did prior to VR so i dont see it as extra workload or pressure

However i would change the system.

Personally i would do away with the VR from the referee and put in a captains challenge, so all decisions are made by on field ref unless challenged. If challenged the VR gets 30 seconds to review and see if there is anything obviously wrong with the on field refs choice if he cant in 30 seconds the decision stands
I would return to the system where the referee's were sacrosanct. However I think WF's opinion would be more pragmatic from teams and fans perspective
Ipinwigan

Post by Ipinwigan »

They should scrap the video referee.
Too many wrong decisions, might as well let the Ref make the mistakes and just live with it.
Using the in-goal judges helps in non video Ref games, so just use them all the time.
Other issue is that newer / younger fans have been programmed to react to a try when a screen tells them to celebrate, no spontaneity any more.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

As said, you'll never please everyone. Folk need to remember that this system came in because the previous way was much complained about. Captains Challenge is great, but needs cameras at every game.