Hi all

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Hi all

Post by josie andrews »

One of the things I did notice is how, when we were stood behind the sticks waiting for one of their conversions, it was Powell the man who was doing all the talking?

I don’t agree that just actions on the pitch is how a captain is measured, Farrell needs to start talking more than he does IMO.

And I like Farrell a lot.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

It’s just one game, but…
Pluses:
- Matty Peet will get the most out of what he has got to work with; and
- French and Field showed glimpses that, again, they will be very entertaining.
Negatives:
- the comparison with Saints shows that there is a massive massive gap between us;
- the pack looked absolutely rubbish; and
- if that is the limit of our new centres’ capabilities, we may need to go back to Faz and Isa playing there.
Our recruitment, particularly in the pack, looks dire. Our ability to retain good players, and ruthlessness with average players is nowhere near good enough. As a result, we have not a single player who would be certain to get into the England squad, let alone the team, and no overseas player who would be guaranteed a starting spot in the NRL. And we are Wigan - while the team from beyond Billinge are stronger everywhere.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Hi Wigan P1e.
Just to let you know you will be barred from this forum if you rate Powell at hooker.😜
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:53 pm One of the things I did notice is how, when we were stood behind the sticks waiting for one of their conversions, it was Powell the man who was doing all the talking?

I don’t agree that just actions on the pitch is how a captain is measured, Farrell needs to start talking more than he does IMO.

Gwen said the same Josie,he needs to start talking he is a class player but is he the right man for captain?
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

I was as disappointed as anyone - with the performance as much as the result. But, in the immortal words of Bill Shankly, "it's a marathon, not a sprint".

Teams who aspire to mid-table or survival can start like a house on fire to get the points on the board. But look at the Grand Finalists last year, in particular Leeds. They only looked like they might do it for the last 3 or 4 weeks of the season.

Secondly, and regardless of the Hull wind, to question Harry Smith's kicking after one match when he was around 80% last year is unbelievably crass.

Third, re Forber. If we keep him it's jobs for the boys. If he goes, it's jobs for the boys. Any outcome, same answer from the usual suspects' bank of collective intelligence.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
WiganP1e

Post by WiganP1e »

Barney841 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:54 pm Hi Wigan P1e.
Just to let you know you will be barred from this forum if you rate Powell at hooker.😜
No chance of that from me 🤣🍻
Bobby-WRL

Post by Bobby-WRL »

So knee jerk.
Nearly everyone was so positive about our chances of coming out on top of them this year after our 2022 performances.
Yesterday they were outstanding & we were poor. So now we are doomed??
We got the better of them 3 out of 4 last season . 2 all only because of Singletons red card.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

morley pie eater wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:06 pm I was as disappointed as anyone - with the performance as much as the result. But, in the immortal words of Bill Shankly, "it's a marathon, not a sprint".

Teams who aspire to mid-table or survival can start like a house on fire to get the points on the board. But look at the Grand Finalists last year, in particular Leeds. They only looked like they might do it for the last 3 or 4 weeks of the season.

Secondly, and regardless of the Hull wind, to question Harry Smith's kicking after one match when he was around 80% last year is unbelievably crass.

Third, re Forber. If we keep him it's jobs for the boys. If he goes, it's jobs for the boys. Any outcome, same answer from the usual suspects' bank of collective intelligence.
There was absolutely no need for the final sentence.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:25 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:06 pm I was as disappointed as anyone - with the performance as much as the result. But, in the immortal words of Bill Shankly, "it's a marathon, not a sprint".

There was absolutely no need for the final sentence.
How is it jobs for the boys if he stays?
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:53 pm One of the things I did notice is how, when we were stood behind the sticks waiting for one of their conversions, it was Powell the man who was doing all the talking?

I agree. Also, I can’t remember the last time Faz played so poorly.