Peet reacts to Hull KR loss

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Peet reacts to Hull KR loss

Post by josie andrews »

Matt Peet spoke with the press following Wigan Warriors’ opening day loss at Hull KR.

Peet: “It never felt like we were really there.”

Hull KR 27-18 Wigan Warriors

Matt Peet said he felt like his side overdid it at times as Warriors started their Super League 2023 campaign with a 27-18 defeat to Hull KR.

Speaking to the press post-match, Peet said: “We were second best. I thought at times we overdid it. I thought defensively we bounced off a few too many tackles. Some of our edge defence wasn’t where it needed to be.

“Games are won on physicality and energy and I thought they had us covered in that department. We’ll have to learn quickly this week. I always felt like we had a chance, we’ve got a lot of talent but it never felt right watching that game to me. It never felt like we were really there.”

The game saw Toby King and Jake Wardle make their debuts in the centre for Wigan, with Peet saying: “I’m confident they’ll both get better. They’re settling in well and the combinations around them will improve. I think like the rest of them it starts with work ethic and being committed to the team. Obviously we know they’ve got ability and flair. But it’s got to start with the work ethic first and the commitment and so far, in pre season, they’ve been good.”

Peet was questioned on pre-season preparations and their effect on today, he said: “I was happy with our pre-season. I came in today feeling comfortable and confident in what we had done. We had the same approach as last year and it worked for us. With pre-season in mind you’re not just preparing for Round 1, you’re preparing for the long season and hoping you find form at the right time. Every club takes a different approach.”

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2023/02/ ... l-kr-loss/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Peet reacts to Hull KR loss

Post by josie andrews »

Farrell: Learning curve

Liam Farrell gave an honest review after the Warriors round 1 defeat at Hull KR.

Farrell: “We seemed to be on the back foot for most of the game so it’s a difficult one to take.”

Next up for the Warriors, they face Wakefield Trinity at home (Friday 24th February, 8pm K.O.)

Wigan Warriors Captain Liam Farrell said the opening round defeat in the Betfred Super League will be a ‘learning curve’ for the team.

Reflecting on the result, Farrell said: “We probably missed the jump on the start. They were quick out of the blocks, we let the ruck roll a little bit and defensively we were a little bit off.

“We seemed to be on the back foot for most of the game so it’s a difficult one to take, but we’ll learn the lessons, review it and move on to next week.”

Analysing were the game was lost, Farrell said: “Defensively that’s the main thing we need to fix up. We could’ve been slicker with the ball but I think we’ll flow in attack and on the ball if we fix our ‘D’.”

He added: “I’ve played here lots of times and Hull KR is a difficult place to come to. It’s a hostile atmosphere, the crowd get on your back and they’re a good team, a side with quality players. It’s a difficult start but a very good learning curve for us, it puts us in our place a little bit and we’ll work hard ready for next week.”

Finally, Farrell gave some insight into the week ahead in preparation for Round 2: “Recovery, review, look after ourselves this weekend and then we’ll start focus on Wakefield mid-next week. We’ll sort out the things that we need to fix in our own games and then start looking at Wakefield.”

Wigan Warriors are back in action at the DW Stadium this Friday 24th February (8pm K.O.) Join us for the home opener and get your ticket HERE. https://eventlist.store/wiganwarriors/w ... redirect=1

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2023/02/ ... ing-curve/
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

Wonder if the players react to the defeat?
sherlock

Post by sherlock »

I was talking to my friend 60yrs a warriors fan. In the build up to the 'start of the season' i told him this?
That with the amount of money in the club ( told by IL) that we had spent NOT A PENNY on any class players.
LETS SEE HE REPLIED!!! After the HKR game he walked passed my house. Hi my friend what happend? i preluded his reply and stated that NOT ONE player of any quality had been signed in the off season and that Wardle/King were just NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR THE WIGAN TEAM. Also that our kicker was NOT/NEVER a asset all 3 should be gone!!
Matty Peat is a good guy but he is delusinal in thinking that this WIGAN OUTFIT are FIT FOR PURPOSE!!!
MY FRIEND 82 replied ' tha reet none of this team are 'fit for purpose'
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Well, if you want to make a definitive judgement after the first match of the season... :roll:
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

sherlock wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:28 pm I was talking to my friend 60yrs a warriors fan. In the build up to the 'start of the season' i told him this?
That with the amount of money in the club ( told by IL) that we had spent NOT A PENNY on any class players.
LETS SEE HE REPLIED!!! After the HKR game he walked passed my house. Hi my friend what happend? i preluded his reply and stated that NOT ONE player of any quality had been signed in the off season and that Wardle/King were just NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR THE WIGAN TEAM. Also that our kicker was NOT/NEVER a asset all 3 should be gone!!
Matty Peat is a good guy but he is delusinal in thinking that this WIGAN OUTFIT are FIT FOR PURPOSE!!!
MY FRIEND 82 replied ' tha reet none of this team are 'fit for purpose'
Excellent trolling but next time remember to include a reference to black pudding.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I have complete faith in Peet to get the most out of the squad available to him. He has earned our trust. In so far as there were positioning and structural errors, they will be fixed. So we will improve. My concern is that I don’t see that he has remotely the squad to trouble Saints. Having seen both games, it wasn’t just the performances but the chasm between the quality of the players on show, especially in the pack.

In short, our front row - props and hooker - cannot make ground. We have some very entertaining players and usually get top marks for effort. But, if we are to beat Saints consistently we have to have effective front rowers. We need 2 props and a hooker from somewhere (unless O’Neill and Forber step up, of course).
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:47 pm I have complete faith in Peet to get the most out of the squad available to him. He has earned our trust. In so far as there were positioning and structural errors, they will be fixed. So we will improve. My concern is that I don’t see that he has remotely the squad to trouble Saints. Having seen both games, it wasn’t just the performances but the chasm between the quality of the players on show, especially in the pack.

In short, our front row - props and hooker - cannot make ground. We have some very entertaining players and usually get top marks for effort. But, if we are to beat Saints consistently we have to have effective front rowers. We need 2 props and a hooker from somewhere (unless O’Neill and Forber step up, of course).
Never going to happen as we have this silly loyalty to certain players
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:47 pm I have complete faith in Peet to get the most out of the squad available to him. He has earned our trust. In so far as there were positioning and structural errors, they will be fixed. So we will improve. My concern is that I don’t see that he has remotely the squad to trouble Saints. Having seen both games, it wasn’t just the performances but the chasm between the quality of the players on show, especially in the pack.

Fair points there like it or not the gulf between the packs of Wigan and saints is huge as for the hooker well its been discussed to death and nothing changes while many on here see O'Neil as a viable option all I see is more of the same until the club goes for broke and a totally different style of play expected from the hooker it doesn't matter who playa there really as the results seem so similar
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

fozzieskem wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:29 pm

Fair points there like it or not the gulf between the packs of Wigan and saints is huge as for the hooker well its been discussed to death and nothing changes while many on here see O'Neil as a viable option all I see is more of the same until the club goes for broke and a totally different style of play expected from the hooker it doesn't matter who playa there really as the results seem so similar
I don’t see O’Neill as being the answer because he now plays like Powell, and this is not a dig at Powell, but if he is involved in the training of our young hookers style of play, they’re all going to play the same way & not their own.