Joe Shorrocks

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Joe Shorrocks

Post by josie andrews »

Goes on loan to Leigh on Monday for 2 weeks!!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wintergreen

Re: Joe Shorrocks

Post by Wintergreen »

Good move.

I don't see him cutting it as things stand.

Maybe he can kick on with regular football.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Wintergreen wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:50 pm Good move.

I don't see him cutting it as things stand.

Maybe he can kick on with regular football.
Joe has the ability, question is, can he translate it to consistent impact on the pitch. This is a good opportunity to show it.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

I personally think there's much more to Joe's game than is acknowledged or recognised. Sadly, I think the writing might be on the wall here. I do like him at Wigan at would happily retain him, it's obvious we have players ahead of him though.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:15 am I personally think there's much more to Joe's game than is acknowledged or recognised. Sadly, I think the writing might be on the wall here. I do like him at Wigan at would happily retain him, it's obvious we have players ahead of him though.
Also, are there better players coming up behind him?
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Joe is a sporting freak, good at everything. I really hope he can kick on at Wigan but it needs to happen sooner than later.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:06 pm Joe is a sporting freak, good at everything. I really hope he can kick on at Wigan but it needs to happen sooner than later.
Yes, I agree.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

I think he has the makings of a very good player but a loan move was always looking like the best option for him this year. You need to play regularly to improve and he needs to play in his best position which is 13. He's unlikely to get much of an opportunity now that Smithies has made that position his own and has been consistent and able to play long minutes.

In some ways it's a bit of bad luck. I thought in 2021 he was very impressive in a poor side. His work as a ball playing loose forward showed promise and his defensive efforts were outstanding and personally I thought he should have been Young Player of the Year outright as he was way more consistent than Pearce-Paul.

Unfortunately for Joe, I think both Smithies and Shorrocks (like many of our young forwards) suffered from 'second season syndrome' after their breakthrough year but as Smithies came through first he was struggling a little in 2021 when Shorrocks really broke through. Last year Shorrocks struggled and Smithies took his game to another level. Hopefully this year with some consistent games he can show improvement.

Ultimately I think the biggest issue for Shorrocks isn't so much the consistency of Smithies at 13 but the emergence of Brad O'Neill (and to a lesser extent Forber). The role of Shorrocks has tended to be to come off the bench and play 13 but also be there as cover for hooker. O'Neill is now on the bench as a genuine hooker but he's also a loose forward. There's no reason why O'Neill couldn't develop that ball playing role and that would make Shorrocks surplus to requirements.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Absolutely agree with that, EEP, as regards both Shorrocks and Smithies. Either way, some game time won't do Joe any harm.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Confirmed now.

Leigh Leopards set for boost with Wigan Warriors forward to arrive

Leigh Leopards are set to be boosted by the arrival of Wigan Warriors forward Joe Shorrocks. Rugby League Live understands the two clubs have been working on a deal that will see the 23-year-old make the switch on an initial short-term loan.

Shorrocks, who has made 55 appearances for the Warriors since his debut in 2019, has yet to feature in either of Wigan's opening two games of the season. A prolific defender, he topped Super League's tackle charts in 2021, a year in which he was a regular under current Leopards coach Adrian Lam.

It was Lam who gave Shorrocks his big breakthrough at the DW Stadium and he has remained a regular at the club since, playing 20 games for the club last season. Capable of playing at hooker or loose forward, he has found himself behind the likes of Sam Powell, Morgan Smithies and Brad O'Neill in the opening two rounds of the campaign.

It is believed that a recall clause will be implemented into the deal in case Wigan require his services in the coming weeks. As for Leigh, it will provide them further cover at hooker. Edwin Ipape missed Saturday's defeat to Catalans Dragons after dropping out late.

It's thought that a deal will be in place by the time Leigh take on unbeaten Hull KR this Friday. The Robins defeated Wigan in the opening round before overcoming Salford on Sunday. As for Leigh, they have suffered two narrow losses upon their return to Super League, losing to the Red Devils and Catalans.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... dium=email