Tonights Game v Catalans Dragons

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
EagleEyePie

Re: Tonights Game v Catalans Dragons

Post by EagleEyePie »

I thought the game emphasised just how little threat we have up front. We've invested in two new centres to improve our outside backs but what is the point when other teams are strengthening their packs and we're going backwards. I said in the off-season that if we're going into games with Isa as a starting back row we've got real problems and we have. Solid pro or not we need dangerous players but Isa is a bigger danger to himself than opponents these days. Quota players need to be top players and most of ours just aren't. Mago actually had a bit of an impact off the bench for a few carries but he makes cameos and nothing more. Tonight probably counts as a good game for Ellis because of the offload for Smith's try meaning he actually did something of note for the first time since punching Dezaria in the face. Everything else from him was bland and ineffective. Singleton has started the season well (by his standards) yet gifted Ma'u his first try with shocking defending. Havard, after a good game last week struggles to back it up with another good display.

We're more than good enough to beat absolute dross like Wakefield and Castleford but where's the improvement going to come from to allow us beat quality teams? Sure, we made errors and bad decisions but you can only count that as something we can improve upon if the players we have are capable of doing so. Is this a team that can play consistent error free rugby this year?

I'm not Powell's biggest critic but I thought he had a poor game tonight. The 40/20 was a moment of excellent vision but the rest of his decision making was a bit all over the place. Diving over from close range when we'd finally managed to draw defenders into the middle. Scooting from dummy half on the last tackle with defenders set which only served to reduce Smith's time to put in a kick. Not scooting when 3 defenders were floored and there was space behind the ruck. I usually accept some of his weaknesses but we just can't keep playing Powell by himself and never having any change of pace around the ruck. O'Neill is too similar to Powell to offer a noticeable change. Give Forber a chance because he's shown some form and genuinely has something to change our attack.

We've got KPP occupying a spot on the bench but offering nothing when he comes on. I had really high hopes for him coming into this year with his chance to nail down a starting position but truth be told at this rate he'll go down as a poor signing. A few fancy offloads but where's the substance to go with the occasional style?

The only player I was happy with was Smith. A few mistakes were made but he also created enough opportunities to win us that game almost single-handedly had they not been messed up and our defence not weak near our own line. His kicking game was outstanding and really he deserved a bit of help from Cust who offered nothing and is also a big issue defensively on our right edge. He's so uncomfortable in a sliding defence and it's making overlaps far too easy.

We're bang on course to follow the pattern of being the team that challenges Saints one year only to fall off the pace the next. Once again we're wondering what the team could be capable of if only we had a decent front row.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Wintergreen wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:34 pm Way too early in the season to say if this will be a problem or not, but at the moment.

1. Our pack is too small.
2. Our 6,7,9,13 creativity is virtually non existent
3. We have 2 players who excel in SL, who WILL deliver more as the ground firm up.
4. KPP will get totally smashed in the NRL. I just hope that we are not in for him when he comes back with his tail between his legs.

The issue is that the above combinations make it difficult to play against decent teams.

If we struggle with #1 above, then if we didn't have #2 then this could at least partially offset it, but we do have #2. #3 partially covers up for it (as it did last year) but this is not an "every game" fix.
Packs win matches, look at Saints.
Charriots Offiah

Suzieb wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:48 pm We need to play young Forber at hooker he gives a good fast ball out of the ruck
We could play Cam Smith, in his prime, at hooker and it would make little difference. The whole pack is ineffective. Rads and IFL need to move players on and recruit better.
Charriots Offiah

Mickw wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:45 pm Our forwards were outplayed all night ,Mago made an impact but he's not on long enough, what Powell brings in attack just isn't good enough in today's game its as simple as that,we looked like this year's Warrington, tough game next week and these forwards have to do much better taking the ball up.
Our forwards are outplayed most weeks.
Charriots Offiah

widdenoldboy wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:51 pm Appreciate that this was my impression but Ellis/Singleton didn't seem to have many minutes?

Our only options to fix the front row is to start with Ellis/ONeil/Mago and Farrell/Havard/Smithies behind them?
Byrne? Put Junior and Forber in the 17 they deserve a crack based on this season’s performances.
Charriots Offiah

Another thought. When he is fit, play Hampshire at 6. At least he can pass and has some pace unlike the current incumbent.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Bring back Mickey Mac, Jobs for the boys and all that :D
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:03 pm
widdenoldboy wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:51 pm Appreciate that this was my impression but Ellis/Singleton didn't seem to have many minutes?

Our only options to fix the front row is to start with Ellis/ONeil/Mago and Farrell/Havard/Smithies behind them?
Byrne? Put Junior and Forber in the 17 they deserve a crack based on this season’s performances.
former will be a good player ,trouble is it'll most likely be at Salford or leigh,he won't get a chance here.
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

Forber
mjdodge13

Post by mjdodge13 »

Out of our pack, who would start for any other Super league team? Let’s take Farrell out……

(Even Sky Sports were saying how strange it was, we can get near the line but not score!)