Tonights Game v Catalans Dragons

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Barney841

Re: Tonights Game v Catalans Dragons

Post by Barney841 »

What did I say let’s not get carried away with the recent two wins, even though nilling two teams on the bounce is brilliant, against two poor teams.
We play a good team and we look lost in attack, how toothless can you get!
Team needs changing asap! Or I might get shot down here but Peet needs to take a good look at himself. Picking Powell week in week out, let’s be honest he seems undroppable, he’s not good enough!
Mago got a load of stick last season and I’m sure he’s the only one who made yards tonight! Singo, Isa no good past it, Smithies needs more to his game and Smith isn’t good enough. And how slow is King!
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

mjdodge13 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:12 pm Out of our pack, who would start for any other Super league team? Let’s take Farrell out……

(Even Sky Sports were saying how strange it was, we can get near the line but not score!)
Well, the club has a chance to do something about it come the end of the season. Singleton, Ellis, Cooper, Mago, Smithies and Isa are all out of contract and KPP is off.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I think it’s a key point that Powell is undroppable

Because it shows a club who won’t do what it takes to win - there are a lot of other problems don’t get me wrong but I can’t think of anyone outside that wigan dressing room who would of stuck with Powell he’s simply not good enough - he never has been he never will be - the fact the club chose him week in weeek out despite being constantly outplayed is the ugly side of loyalty

It’s the same thing that kfc was put out to pasture for at saints and since he was they never looked back
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:24 pm
mjdodge13 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:12 pm Out of our pack, who would start for any other Super league team? Let’s take Farrell out……

(Even Sky Sports were saying how strange it was, we can get near the line but not score!)
Well, the club has a chance to do something about it come the end of the season. Singleton, Ellis, Cooper, Mago, Smithies and Isa are all out of contract and KPP is off.
I said at the time it was announced KPP was leaving he should have just gone I don’t like and never have liked this nonsense of seeing your deal out if he wants to leave let them,of the others you mention only Cooper is worth another year at present on form at least.

As for that tonight that was simply unacceptable
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

fozzieskem wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:29 pm

I said at the time it was announced KPP was leaving he should have just gone I don’t like and never have liked this nonsense of seeing your deal out if he wants to leave let them,of the others you mention only Cooper is worth another year at present on form at least.

Mago had a 3 year deal so this is only his 2nd. Ellis had. 2 year deal.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:03 pm
widdenoldboy wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:51 pm Appreciate that this was my impression but Ellis/Singleton didn't seem to have many minutes?

Our only options to fix the front row is to start with Ellis/ONeil/Mago and Farrell/Havard/Smithies behind them?
Byrne? Put Junior and Forber in the 17 they deserve a crack based on this season’s performances.
Yeh, is Byrne fit? I'd have picked him tonight based on the weather and not picked KPP (not just based on the weather :D ).

TBF, I think Forber and Nsemba would have struggled tonight but their time is surely close.

That we have a squad with deficiencies is down to the club but some of the decision making tonight is down to coaching and some of the poor performance is down to the players.
Wigan_ITK

Post by Wigan_ITK »

Barney841 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:14 pm What did I say let’s not get carried away with the recent two wins, even though nilling two teams on the bounce is brilliant, against two poor teams.
We play a good team and we look lost in attack, how toothless can you get!
Team needs changing asap! Or I might get shot down here but Peet needs to take a good look at himself. Picking Powell week in week out, let’s be honest he seems undroppable, he’s not good enough!
Mago got a load of stick last season and I’m sure he’s the only one who made yards tonight! Singo, Isa no good past it, Smithies needs more to his game and Smith isn’t good enough. And how slow is King!
Smith not good enough? Oh here we go again.

Besides a couple of errors when he was trying to force the play he was the one player who was looking to create and make something happen tonight, he can only do so much with no pack and a 6&9 who aren't a 6&9.

The fact he scored all ten of our points tonight tells you a little something as well, I’ve not watched the game back yet but I’m going to stick my neck out and say the experts will also recognise how well he did in difficult circumstances.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Players who see their deals out and play well in their last season are those who sign them with the intention of doing so. Players like Blake Green for example. Not those who sign long deals to make sure they have a job but then set their agent off trying to get them a gig in the NRL. Something that ironically the all important culture at Wigan seems to encourage.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

DaveO wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:40 pm

Players who see their deals out and play well in their last season are those who sign them with the intention of doing so. Players like Blake Green for example. Not those who sign long deals to make sure they have a job but then set their agent off trying to get them a gig in the NRL. Something that ironically the all important culture at Wigan seems to encourage.
Decent point on the culture at Wigan. is it good enough? Is it good enough to dislodge Saints?

Not picking on Peet, he has improved things but will it be enough?
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:28 pm I think it’s a key point that Powell is undroppable

Because it shows a club who won’t do what it takes to win - there are a lot of other problems don’t get me wrong but I can’t think of anyone outside that wigan dressing room who would of stuck with Powell he’s simply not good enough - he never has been he never will be - the fact the club chose him week in weeek out despite being constantly outplayed is the ugly side of loyalty

It’s the same thing that kfc was put out to pasture for at saints and since he was they never looked back
The other reason they have never looked back is down to their recruitment policy.