Tonights Game v Catalans Dragons

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Suzieb

Re: Tonights Game v Catalans Dragons

Post by Suzieb »

Well done Catalans for shutting us down and we had no answer to it we continually tried to play one man rugby against a well organised defence I have said before on here that our back row options are not good enough we allowed Bateman to play us in his desire to not play with Hastings and it has massively backfired on us only Farrell in our back row looks something like KPP smithies Ida not good enough and what have we got as back up?????? Smithies is overrated and is not good enough to be in the team I rest my case
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

Can anyone tell me how many times on a rugby match a player can play almost all of the game and not pass the ball once Smithies achieved this last night very poor
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

Our forwards are dominated every week. And we’ve not earned the lesson from last season. IMO Catalan are ok but not great and I don’t think they will make the top 4 and neither will we. At the beginning of the season MP said he was happy with his squad, to me that was a concern especially as we had lost Bateman from a pack which was not good enough in the first place.

So MP needs to deliver with what he’s. got. We’re in this position dare I say it because of poor recruitment and extensions everybody knows it except KR. Our overseas signings field and french apart have been poor compared to other teams. If you get it right you probably need 1 or 2 signings each season just to freshen things up a bit. Whereas last season and this we’ve got 6 or 7 to sort out. Probably just as well because we need a massive clear out. We invest a lot in youth but at the moment teams like Huddersfield, Leeds and Warrington are benefiting. Again poor management. Until this improves no chance of a GF win.
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

I have watched it back this morning and Smithies did pass the ball in the 78th minuite Cust,KPP,andKing all missed the tackle for their second try
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Graham1 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:08 am Our forwards are dominated every week. And we’ve not earned the lesson from last season. IMO Catalan are ok but not great and I don’t think they will make the top 4 and neither will we. At the beginning of the season MP said he was happy with his squad, to me that was a concern especially as we had lost Bateman from a pack which was not good enough in the first place.

So MP needs to deliver with what he’s. got. We’re in this position dare I say it because of poor recruitment and extensions everybody knows it except KR. Our overseas signings field and french apart have been poor compared to other teams. If you get it right you probably need 1 or 2 signings each season just to freshen things up a bit. Whereas last season and this we’ve got 6 or 7 to sort out. Probably just as well because we need a massive clear out. We invest a lot in youth but at the moment teams like Huddersfield, Leeds and Warrington are benefiting. Again poor management. Until this improves no chance of a GF win.
More worringly let's not forget Lenegan called this the best squad of the last 10 years didn't he?

As for French his centre needs to look at him remember he plays for Wigan and pass the sodding ball to him,King has been woeful so far which will no doubt lead to a.long term deal..come back Thornley and let's hope he can stay fit.

I do agree a clear out is needed I'm not sure how much longer they can keep picking Powell,O'Neil isn't the answer either. Oh, for an Andy Ackers type hooker it'd transform that side.

I'm sure once the weather turns they'll hand out a few thrashing there's to much speed in that side not to but to utilise that speed the ball has to be passed doesn't it
blindsideprop

Post by blindsideprop »

What a shocking performance against a team with 8 regulars missing. Powell enough said,Smith poor,he has 1 good game then 4 bad ones and Cust was even worse than those 2.The centres are new so perhaps there will be improvement there but i am not convinced.I thought Cooper took the ball up well and Mago had some impact when he came on.Smithies makes mistakes but never gives less than 100% whereas KPP gave the impression he is just biding his time.Although French and Field will be far more effective on dry pitches if we lose them to injury it will be a long season with no silverware.
Hattster

Post by Hattster »

I could give 100% each week but that doesn't mean I'd be good enough to play in the team. Smithies offers absolutely nothing yet gets picked week in week out along with , dare I say it Powell. Both are nowhere near good enough.
I'll throw Cust into the hat as well, why do we sign a player who has played his best rugby for Manly at nine yet we sign him as one of our chief play makers
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

Just not good enough not a Wane fan but we least could defend when he was coach No silverware this year on these performances
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Morgan Smithies 62 tackles with only 1 missed!
My only criticism of him last night would be the two penalties he gave away.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

No straw damn us wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:41 am Morgan Smithies 62 tackles with only 1 missed!
My only criticism of him last night would be the two penalties he gave away.
This is the problem with how some talk about our players. Look at all the tackles he’s done, he needs to his game than just his tackling. This is exactly what people say about Powell