Small update on the rumours

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
DaveO

Re: Small update on the rumours

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:48 pm
Dreamteam wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:52 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:07 am

Is it a fact he wouldn't start for anyone else?

Good to see good old factual knowledge at play again :)
For anyone with a rugby brain who watches the other 9 s itl it is
Your saying that wrong.

It should be :In your opinion (that you feel is better and more informed than anyone who doesn't share it)

The Actaul fact of the matter is we don't know of he would start at another club until there it is an option for another club to sign him as a free agent.

I'm not particularly a Powell fan I just find the rhetoric boring and ill informed, facts need actual evidence.
"The invincible ignorance fallacy, also known as argument by pigheadedness, is a deductive fallacy of circularity where the person in question simply refuses to believe the argument, ignoring any evidence given. It is not so much a fallacious tactic in argument as it is a refusal to argue in the proper sense of the word. The method used in this fallacy is either to make assertions with no consideration of objections or to simply dismiss objections by calling them excuses, conjecture, etc. or saying that they are proof of nothing, all without actually demonstrating how the objection fit these terms. It is similar to the ad lapidem fallacy, in which the person rejects all the evidence and logic presented, without providing any evidence or logic that could lead to a different conclusion."

That above is exactly what you did in the bits in bold I highlighted. You dismiss the opinion Powell wouldn't be first choice anywhere else as conjecture without offering any counter argument as to why he would.

If you were to engage in the discussion properly, you could tell us which No 9's at other clubs in SL you think he'd displace and why. You don't do that. Instead of explaining why he'd be first choice in another SL club you say it can't be proved he would not be. That is not a winning argument even if you think it is.
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

I join this discussion in media res.The first thing I notice is the relevant posts are in the Rumour Mill. Rumours are normative and include hearsay,gossip etc. The question put is is it a fact that he( Powell) wouldn't start for anyone else? Generally this sort of question requires a binary truth value answer or a don't know answer. He's given a sidestepping answer ie not a definitive answer. "G" asks a straightforward question He doesn't reject any evidence offered by dismissing it he's not offered any just an opinion expressed as an opinion The rest of Dave's response is nonsense In fact one could,without absurdity be levelled at Dave
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

Failed to add to my last post Dave allegations :D
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

archiekeith wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:51 pm Failed to add to my last post Dave allegations :D
For God’s sake plain English will suffice instead of all the gobbledygook!!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

josie andrews wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:30 pm
archiekeith wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:51 pm Failed to add to my last post Dave allegations :D
Think your post shoul be aimed at Dave not me josie. :lol:
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

archiekeith wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:50 pm
josie andrews wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:30 pm
Think your post shoul be aimed at Dave not me josie. :lol:
I’ve got past reading yours & DaveO’s posts & just skim through them to make sure they abide by the forum rules.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

I opened the site to see any information on rumours only to find 3 members replying to each other , please can we get back to basics and not bickering between members :o :o
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

ddtftf wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:48 pm I opened the site to see any information on rumours only to find 3 members replying to each other , please can we get back to basics and not bickering between members :o :o
That would be nice. Uh-oh, now you're going to see this thread as unread again. :D
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

It would be nice to see a rumour or two posted.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Where's Dan