Sadly Sculthorpe is Right

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
archiekeith

Re: Sadly Sculthorpe is Right

Post by archiekeith »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:14 am
Charriots Offiah wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:02 am Nobody wants Wigan to win more than I do, full stop.
So you’re the only fan that wants Wigan Warriors to win? 🤔🤔 We better get the club to sign you up as coach then!
Mike wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:51 am You want half the team gone don't you? When I suggest how we could improve you say it's not possible, no overseas players available, hard to move players on. Then you criticize the club for not doing more than what you just said was unrealistic. How can they ever meet your expectations?

I personally think we're in a building process that probably reaches it's peak this season. If we can hang on to french and field we've got an outside chance of another couple of years to improve. Year on year I see improvement in the squad. It's not perfect, but it's unrealistic to fix all the areas that need improvement in one season. We've addressed the centre situation, perhaps at a cost to the second row which we were very strong in. Some opinions suggest the second row is much weaker now, but I think we're fine there this year with some food and different options. I'd expect future recruiting to address our impact in the forwards and maybe refresh the halves. In recent years I think I'm seeing a more structured approach to our recruitment focusing on positions where we are weak. ILs strategy of signing the best value players regardless of position just isn't viable for us right now and I think thats no longer what we're doing. I hope the coaching staff have a strategy for what we need next season,or even late this year for a playoff tilt, but I want to support the team we do have rather than laying into them every week.
Good post MIKE
Josie you really do need to read what chariots posted He didn't say he is the only fan that wants us to win. He is saying just how much he wants us to win the same as we all do. Re Mikes comments I hope he is right I think we all do. It was a good post I agree This Topic has certainly had a great response with lots of opinions expressed. Long may the diversity of opinions continue for we all want to see our glory days of the 80's return. If at all achievable
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I have read it Archie & it still reads to me the "no one wants Wigan to win more than me full stop”!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:52 am I have read it Archie & it still reads to me the "no one wants Wigan to win more than me full stop”!
:D your a divil dick as my old lancs. mother would say. It's a question of interpretation Just concentrate on the phrase more than me" especially the semantics ( meaning ) of "more than" the effect of this allows for fans to want to win as much as he does and his wish to demonstrate the strength and intensity of his own desire. It doesn't suppress or deny other fans desires of other at all. Give it some thought you might see what I'm trying to convey to you. Anyway it's good to see you are reading my posts again I apologise for my alleged gobbledegook. I read a lot re literal criticism and I confess I pick up some Latin terms such as "in medias res" it simply put means in the middle or at least approximation not from the beginning :D my spelling etc , as recently pointed out by another poster leaves a lot to be desired
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

archiekeith wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:18 pm
josie andrews wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:52 am I have read it Archie & it still reads to me the "no one wants Wigan to win more than me full stop”!
:D your a divil dick as my old lancs. mother would say. It's a question of interpretation Just concentrate on the phrase more than me" especially the semantics ( meaning ) of "more than" the effect of this allows for fans to want to win as much as he does and his wish to demonstrate the strength and intensity of his own desire. It doesn't suppress or deny other fans desires of other at all. Give it some thought you might see what I'm trying to convey to you. Anyway it's good to see you are reading my posts again I apologise for my alleged gobbledegook. I read a lot re literal criticism and I confess I pick up some Latin terms such as "in medias res" it simply put means in the middle or at least approximation not from the beginning :D my spelling etc , as recently pointed out by another poster leaves a lot to be desired
Thanks. That is exactly right.
Charriots Offiah

archiekeith wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:51 am
Charriots Offiah wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:02 am Nobody wants Wigan to win more than I do, full stop.
So you’re the only fan that wants Wigan Warriors to win? 🤔🤔 We better get the club to sign you up as coach then!

I didn't say that. I would hope that all fans want to win as much as I do. And I definitely hope the players and coaching staff do.
Mike wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:51 am You want half the team gone don't you? When I suggest how we could improve you say it's not possible, no overseas players available, hard to move players on. Then you criticize the club for not doing more than what you just said was unrealistic. How can they ever meet your expectations?

I personally think we're in a building process that probably reaches it's peak this season. If we can hang on to french and field we've got an outside chance of another couple of years to improve. Year on year I see improvement in the squad. It's not perfect, but it's unrealistic to fix all the areas that need improvement in one season. We've addressed the centre situation, perhaps at a cost to the second row which we were very strong in. Some opinions suggest the second row is much weaker now, but I think we're fine there this year with some food and different options. I'd expect future recruiting to address our impact in the forwards and maybe refresh the halves. In recent years I think I'm seeing a more structured approach to our recruitment focusing on positions where we are weak. ILs strategy of signing the best value players regardless of position just isn't viable for us right now and I think thats no longer what we're doing. I hope the coaching staff have a strategy for what we need next season,or even late this year for a playoff tilt, but I want to support the team we do have rather than laying into them every week.
Good post MIKE
Josie you really do need to read what chariots posted He didn't say he is the only fan that wants us to win. He is saying just how much he wants us to win the same as we all do. Re Mikes comments I hope he is right I think we all do. It was a good post I agree This Topic has certainly had a great response with lots of opinions expressed. Long may the diversity of opinions continue for we all want to see our glory days of the 80's return. If at all achievable
Charriots Offiah

archiekeith wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:51 am
Mike wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:51 am You want half the team gone don't you?

I want the players gone who are not performing to the standards expected of them.

When I suggest how we could improve you say it's not possible, no overseas players available, hard to move players on. Then you criticize the club for not doing more than what you just said was unrealistic. How can they ever meet your expectations?

I didn't say it was impossible, I said it would be difficult to attract a player of the necessary quality. The Club new that Bateman was leaving and they should have recruited accordingly. So they could and should have met my expectations. It smacks of PPP.

I personally think we're in a building process that probably reaches it's peak this season.

Where have you been for the past few seasons, we have recruited four highly paid props, most of which are not delivering the goods and we have a non-federation player sat in the stands.

If we can hang on to french and field we've got an outside chance of another couple of years to improve. Year on year I see improvement in the squad. It's not perfect, but it's unrealistic to fix all the areas that need improvement in one season.

We have to hang to Field and French otherwise we will go backwards. Of the 17 who played on Thursday the Club has recruited 11 of them over a number of years so we shouldn't be in a position of fixing many areas.

We've addressed the centre situation, perhaps at a cost to the second row which we were very strong in.

The Club has tried to strengthen the centre positions and we will have to wait and see how that pans out but that has not been the root cause of our second row problems, that is down to a poor retention strategy.

Some opinions suggest the second row is much weaker now, but I think we're fine there this year with some food and different options.

We are much weaker. Neither Isa or KPP are as good as Bateman. Unfortunately< Willie is in decline and KPP is on Bondi beach.

I'd expect future recruiting to address our impact in the forwards and maybe refresh the halves.

I hope so.

In recent years I think I'm seeing a more structured approach to our recruitment focusing on positions where we are weak. ILs strategy of signing the best value players regardless of position just isn't viable for us right now and I think thats no longer what we're doing.

I can see your point and maybe that is the plan, we shall have to wait and see. But one priority has to be to retain our homegrown talent.

I hope the coaching staff have a strategy for what we need next season,or even late this year for a playoff tilt, but

So do I and I think we will perform better on the harder grounds. However, that may just cover up the cracks.

I want to support the team we do have rather than laying into them every week.

I do support the team and I don't lay into them every week but, on this occasion it was warranted.

Good post MIKE