England star Dan Sarginson quits rugby league, aged 29 to 'give life more purpose'

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

England star Dan Sarginson quits rugby league, aged 29 to 'give life more purpose'

Post by josie andrews »

Sarginson left Salford Red Devils last week with speculation rife about his next move but he has decided to walk away after losing his passion for the sport

England star Dan Sarginson has walked away from rugby league aged just 29 admitting he wants to “find more purpose” in life.

The ex-Wigan centre, who’d not played since August due to injury and illness, left Salford by mutual agreement on Friday prompting speculation about his next Super League destination. However, Sarginson revealed on Sunday night he’s quit the sport after losing his desire - and wants to help others through their own struggles instead

He said: “I thought a lot of rugby lads would be shocked and confused as the norm’ is to play ‘til your mid-30s and limp out of the game. But having been on smaller contracts in my younger years, and now getting paid more at the back end, I realised I never really did this for the money. It’s not the be all and end all.

“I just had to follow my gut. I got to the stage where I was perhaps looking for more purpose in my life.

“I’ve loved rugby league. Don't get me wrong: I’ve met some amazing people and I’m super proud of everything I’ve achieved like moving away from home in London, taking big risks and learning so many beautiful life lessons playing this sport.

“But I’ve now just been drawn to a different path where I really want to help anyone who’s struggling. I've struggled a lot throughout my life. I've been pulled in that direction where I can be part of the solution. Whether that’s in rugby or helping men, or whatever, I’m not sure. I’ll take some time out now and do some real thinking

An emotional Sarginson won the Grand Final with Wigan just a few weeks later, his second title with the Cherry and Whites. He recalled: “Losing my little brother was tough and the whole rugby league community was amazing.

Everyone at Wigan was top drawer and I pinch myself thinking back - now that I have finished playing - that we could win that Grand Final.

“I felt like I did it for him but I definitely think that was a turning point in my life. I’d already suffered with depression when I moved to Australia to play for Gold Coast and I realised how much it affected my form and my life.

“The more I started to work on myself and therapy and really started to do some deep work on myself to find out who I was beneath it all, I realised that there’s a lot of people in life and rugby who could potentially jump on the same sort of journey of healing themselves.

But alongside rugby it can enhance performance, reduce stress, improve lifestyle and relationships. I wasn’t aware how I’d played my whole career in quite a fear-based mentality.

“I was always worried about letting people down and I’d love to work with rugby players to help them realise they’re good enough and to believe in themselves more.”

Sarginson, who was in Shaun Wane’s England squad just 12 months ago, started out at Hemel Stags and played for London Broncos before earning his big move to Wigan.

He’d managed just 29 games in the last three campaigns with Salford, though, missing most of last year with a fractured shoulder.

Boss Paul Rowley had explained in January that Sarginson was off with “sickness” and was on an “indefinite return.” The Perth-born player, who played six NRL games for Gold Coast in 2017, said it was around the festive period that he realised he was ready to retire.

Sarginson, who featured in the 2014 and 2016 Four Nations for England but cruelly missed Salford's Challenge Cup final three years ago due to Covid, explained: “Pre-season had been going good: I felt super fit and really strong.

“I went home for Christmas and just came back and something had just flipped in me. I’d known I was going to retire anyway at the end of this year when my Salford contract was up. I’d threatened it for a few years but this was going to be the one.

“But just after Christmas I just couldn’t find the motivation to get up and I had to make sure it was that and it wasn’t me going through a bit of a down phase. I really struggled to get back up for it and didn’t want to go against what I was feeling just for the sake of good money and the lifestyle. I felt there was more to it.

“It definitely wasn’t a form thing or anything to do with the game. I just felt pulled towards helping people and I feel like I’ll spring out of bed with a bit more energy now, a bit more purpose and a bit more direction in my life. It’s where I want to go.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-le ... n-29438693
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Re: England star Dan Sarginson quits rugby league, aged 29 to 'give life more purpose'

Post by fozzieskem »

Well good luck to the lad absolutely the right thing to get out if your heads not in the sport anymore.
archiekeith

Re: England star Dan Sarginson quits rugby league, aged 29 to 'give life more purpose'

Post by archiekeith »

All the best Dan. Always be true to yourself and loved ones
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Good Luck Dan.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

I wish Dan all the very best. The passing of his brother has had a big bearing on his life and I hope he can find a positive from that negative. I hope to see Dan back in rugby league, in some capacity, in the future. He has much offer and I am sure his brother would be proud of the decision he has made.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Good Luck Dan.
craigo

Post by craigo »

Good luck to him. Was a great pro and lad.
I have supported Wigan RL since the late 80s. First game was a cup tie v Barrow. Also a fan of football and Speedway. Have a varied taste in music.