Tonight's Match

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
WIGIAN

Re: Tonight's Match

Post by WIGIAN »

Odd thought Cust to 9 Bevan at 1 Jai at 6 Powell 13 , get Thornley on bench mimimum, Smithies zero passes two weeks running zero effect time for a rest
craigo

Post by craigo »

Sounds like we have won ugly. That's good.
I have supported Wigan RL since the late 80s. First game was a cup tie v Barrow. Also a fan of football and Speedway. Have a varied taste in music.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Listened to JM & Bilko and they used the phrase ugly game any number of times.
They laid some emphasis on the switch that turned the game from us being behind to the winning score. Powell off, Cust to 9, Field to 6, French to 1 with KPP coming off the bench to centre and King outside him.
That has to be tried again. Whether MP starts with that line up or part way through is something we'll find out. Powell did come back on but Mago didn't after what they described as a poor stint. A poor offload and two knock ons and he got hooked.
Salford will be a different proposition to Hudds the way they were described.
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

Game changer Cust went to 9. Powell off. French at Fb and Field to 6. If it didn’t happen we would have lost. MP needs to seriously look at that match our attack was non existent. Good tactic kicking to Bibby who as we all know is suspect under a high ball especially on his try line.
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

Clearly Powell isn’t being told to keep it simple because cust offered more threat at 9 in the 15 mins he was there. So why hasn’t peet got the balls to drop Powell when he’s massively holding our attack back
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Not a classic but win needed 2 poor sides tonight
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

That's the second week Peet's switched Cust to 9 it didn't change the result against Cats but it's one I said we needed to try before the season.
I would try it from the start and bring Miski onto the wing his yards out of our half would also help.
Some of these comments are a little poor for me.
First half we was like at Cas we looked more threatening but lacked field position. You may say that's our own fault but the refs timing of six agains is massive, getting pulled 3rd or 4th are tough calls ours seemed to be earlier.
Penalties I don't think we got one first half we got pinged off side. Again you can't tell me they went a half without being off on occasions.
The other is poor game management we seem to want to put plays on to early.
We was the better team second half and always looked more likely of the two to score apart from the kick that Marshy dropped they didn't really look like scoring. King and Warddle was both great for me King edged him for our best his yardage and D was very good tonight, Faz looked better this week and with Smithies the work load is massive. Havard and Ellis was really solid hard yards no fuss rugby. Coops better second spell. Mago is frustrating he could be everything we need impact and offloads his first run through the line left bodies on the floor and he popped a pass that if Jai catches we are 8 clear early doors second half. Instead we put it down we get another chance and we do the same, mid tackle count no pressure. Jai put two bullet passes to ISA for me he should take them and we score at least once. We made that second half harder than it should have been.
Most pundits put Huddersfield in the mix pre season many and on here saying they had a great squad, that's a good win tonight if a tough watch with loads of improvement in us.
Top three for me King Warddle Havard
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Brennox7 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:42 pm Can’t be doing this all season. We need a 9 who runs and can take some pressure off the forwards when we play early in the year (mid winter). Wigan will fire when the ground firms up we are too fast and our kicking game is decent.

We just don’t have the grogg in the forwards to ground it out, although it’s good to have 2 centres who can run it from the back solid.

One beast at prop who can do more than 10 minutes + a 9 who can run now again as every club has one (Houghton, roby, macca, dwyer, Clark, parcell, ackers) these guys all give relieving 10m runs when the team is gassed.

A running 9 is a big hole in a solid Wigan side.
I have to say he did do a couple of runs from dummy half instead of passing as soon as he got the ball.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

lucky 13 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:14 pm That's the second week Peet's switched Cust to 9 it didn't change the result against Cats but it's one I said we needed to try before the season.
I would try it from the start and bring Miski onto the wing his yards out of our half would also help.
Some of these comments are a little poor for me.
First half we was like at Cas we looked more threatening but lacked field position. You may say that's our own fault but the refs timing of six agains is massive, getting pulled 3rd or 4th are tough calls ours seemed to be earlier.
Penalties I don't think we got one first half we got pinged off side. Again you can't tell me they went a half without being off on occasions.
The other is poor game management we seem to want to put plays on to early.
We was the better team second half and always looked more likely of the two to score apart from the kick that Marshy dropped they didn't really look like scoring. King and Warddle was both great for me King edged him for our best his yardage and D was very good tonight, Faz looked better this week and with Smithies the work load is massive. Havard and Ellis was really solid hard yards no fuss rugby. Coops better second spell. Mago is frustrating he could be everything we need impact and offloads his first run through the line left bodies on the floor and he popped a pass that if Jai catches we are 8 clear early doors second half. Instead we put it down we get another chance and we do the same, mid tackle count no pressure. Jai put two bullet passes to ISA for me he should take them and we score at least once. We made that second half harder than it should have been.
Most pundits put Huddersfield in the mix pre season many and on here saying they had a great squad, that's a good win tonight if a tough watch with loads of improvement in us.
Top three for me King Warddle Havard
They were several times & in both halves, they also did a couple of flops that went again unpunished!
Also what has happened to the defence being square at play the ball? Not once tonight & us as well.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
The Pearl1

Re: Squad for Giants

Post by The Pearl1 »

Suzieb wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:29 pm can anyone answer why we are scoring most of our tries on our left hand side.
Because Harry Smith plays on that side.

Last year he played on the right and Bevan got a load.