Oliver gildart

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
EagleEyePie

Re: Oliver gildart

Post by EagleEyePie »

For me King has been the more impressive of the two new centres. It just seems like every time a try gets scored on an edge the blame gets put on the centre or winger because they are the ones that end up with the three on two overlap to contend with. The centre will pretty much always rush out of the line when the overlap is already there to try to force the passer into making an error. But when it doesn't come off the centre or winger gets the blame for the try being scored.

I've seen loads of criticism about King's defence but our right edge issues this year have largely come from poor movement in field that allows an overlap as soon as the ball is passed from the ruck. If we're pointing fingers then Pearce-Paul and Cust have been far more culpable than King. There's been some poor communication there, slow movement across the field and Cust in particular seems to have a tendency to turn inwards and plant his feet.

King's carries have been impressive and his work rate can't be questioned. He's doing the work of a forward which is what we really didn't get from Bibby (and weirdly, Isa and KPP when in that role). Sure, he's not created many tries for French but that seems to be more of a team issue. When he's got the chance to put French into the clear he has done, but it's not been as frequent this season. If we were creating the space but ignoring the opportunities I'd be more concerned about King, but we're not as fluid in attack down the right edge and that's as much to do with Cust, Isa/KPP and Field because they are the ones that need to create the space to create chances.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

I’d agree with much of the above. I don’t understand criticism of King so far. He had an iffy first game but has been one of our better players since. He’s eating ground up from our end and defensively has got better each week. That is likely down to him getting used to those around him. He’s different to Wardle on the other side, who is more of a classical centre but doesn’t get through half the work King does. I’m happy with the pair of them. They’re a huge upgrade on a pairing of Bibby and Thornley or Bibby and Isa (although granted, that wouldn’t be difficult).
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Relevant stats for King/Wardle:

Tries: 1/2
Try Assists: 3/3

Tackles: 68/49
Missed: 10/6
Busts: 14/14
Clean Breaks: 2/3

Carries: 82/54
Metres: 625/416
Dummy Runs: 8/1
Errors: 6/6
Offloads: 7/0
Pens conceded: 1/0
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wes

Post by Wes »

Look evens going off those stats, I like both, think they’ll both get better but also think Wardle will reach another level.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Is there similar stats available for our centres from this time last year?
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Might be on the super league site?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

I think the stats back up what we see with our eyes. One is a workhorse and a good offloader and the other is more of a classical centre. They’re both settling nicely IMO.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Simple question, what does Gilly give us that Wardle and King don’t?
Wes

Post by Wes »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:03 pm Simple question, what does Gilly give us that Wardle and King don’t?
Injuries🤷🤣
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:03 pm Simple question, what does Gilly give us that Wardle and King don’t?
JFTB? Over to you, Meds.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐