Leigh Leopards expect to break their Super League attendance record against Wigan Warriors

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Leigh Leopards expect to break their Super League attendance record against Wigan Warriors

Post by josie andrews »

The Leopards are confident of surpassing their current record made in 2017.

Leigh Leopards are confident of recording their highest-ever Super League crowd for this Thursday's derby with Wigan Warriors - with owner Derek Beaumont calling on locals to make it a sell-out.

The Leopards host the Warriors in a mouthwatering clash between two sides who have started the new season well, with Leigh arguably stronger than they ever have been in the modern era following an eye-catching opening to 2023. Leigh's biggest Super League crowd was in February 2017, when 9,012 watched the then Centurions defeat St Helens.

But Beaumont told Rugby League Live that number will not only be surpassed, he is hopeful the Leigh Sports Village can be at capacity on a night when chart band Lottery Winners will be playing pre-match.

"I'm pretty sure it will do that," Beaumont said when asked if he was optimistic of a record Super League crowd.

"I've had more texts for tickets today than I have all week. I think a lot of people are trying to change the habits here - for example, they've got heavy sales for a game that's after ours with St Helens because of demand over history. With ourselves, people are used to coming and buy a ticket on the day of the game, which we want to try change. I'm pretty certain we'll beat 9,012: but I'd love to see every seat full."

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... d-26571078
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Leigh Leopards expect to break their Super League attendance record against Wigan Warriors

Post by josie andrews »

How Leigh-Wigan is the new Broncos-Cowboys for Leopards star

Leigh captain John Asiata has been there and done it at the highest level, but there is something new he will experience on Thursday night.

The 29-year-old has won an NRL Premiership, he’s played on the international stage for both Tonga and Samoa, and he’s made almost 150 appearances in the NRL.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/jo ... os-cowboys
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
craigo

Re: Leigh Leopards expect to break their Super League attendance record against Wigan Warriors

Post by craigo »

Their biggest crowd in any division was against Batley. When it was free admission.
I have supported Wigan RL since the late 80s. First game was a cup tie v Barrow. Also a fan of football and Speedway. Have a varied taste in music.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

fair play to Leigh / Beaumont as that looks like being 2 home games on the trot where they break attendance records v the club. Admittedely it was Wigan and Saints, so an ideal opportunity to do so

i think there are a couple of positives which have aided that as well
1. they have started ok, and with 3 wins, probably more than a few of their fans expected. In the past they have come up with high hopes, and its been knocked out of them within a couple of weeks
2. decent pre-match entertainment (not always going to pull lots in but has certainly assisted)
3. DB has been pushing social media and showing the potential to attract attention, whether you like him or not, he's been putting Leigh out there and getting attention

so onto a bit of a gripe about Leigh, just tried to find their website????Anyone got any ideas. I can find Leigh Centurions, with an archive of fixtures from last year, but nothing for the current season. Surely with the rebrand etc, it would have been the ideal time to launch a new website as an attraction to fans / content etc, but nope, looks like they have missed a trick
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Looking at the ticket site, they are far from being sold out
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:01 am Looking at the ticket site, they are far from being sold out
There are no tickets left at Wigan, they got a further "handful" yesterday and they went immediately!!
I wonder if they'll do a further release for the side stands today or tomorrow?
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

the pieman wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:04 am fair play to Leigh / Beaumont as that looks like being 2 home games on the trot where they break attendance records v the club. Admittedely it was Wigan and Saints, so an ideal opportunity to do so

1. they have started ok, and with 3 wins, probably more than a few of their fans expected. In the past they have come up with high hopes, and its been knocked out of them within a couple of weeks
2. decent pre-match entertainment (not always going to pull lots in but has certainly assisted)
3. DB has been pushing social media and showing the potential to attract attention, whether you like him or not, he's been putting Leigh out there and getting attention

so onto a bit of a gripe about Leigh, just tried to find their website????Anyone got any ideas. I can find Leigh Centurions, with an archive of fixtures from last year, but nothing for the current season. Surely with the rebrand etc, it would have been the ideal time to launch a new website as an attraction to fans / content etc, but nope, looks like they have missed a trick
Do they have the internet in Leigh?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

No straw damn us wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:09 am
Blackpool_Pie wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:01 am Looking at the ticket site, they are far from being sold out
There are no tickets left at Wigan, they got a further "handful" yesterday and they went immediately!!
I wonder if they'll do a further release for the side stands today or tomorrow?
They really have to. Their are still a lot of home tickets left
craigo

Post by craigo »

morley pie eater wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:03 pm
the pieman wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:04 am fair play to Leigh / Beaumont as that looks like being 2 home games on the trot where they break attendance records v the club. Admittedely it was Wigan and Saints, so an ideal opportunity to do so

Do they have the internet in Leigh?
Only club with no website. Got told it was because of some kind of dispute.
I have supported Wigan RL since the late 80s. First game was a cup tie v Barrow. Also a fan of football and Speedway. Have a varied taste in music.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Leigh star compares Wigan rivalry with huge NRL rivalry

Leigh Leopards star and captain John Asiata is preparing for his first clash against Wigan Warriors in an exciting battle of the Borough.

Speaking ahead of this game ahead of the game which will be live on Sky Sports, Asiata said on Leigh’s YouTube channel that he was excited for the game and compared it to the rivalry between Brisbane Broncos and North Queensland Cowboys.

He said:

I’m pretty excited for it, Wigan have been a very good team for a very long time.

“I think the rivalry here can be just as good as what it was back home for say the Brisbane Broncos and the Cowboys back in 2015.

“I think the squad that we have we’re looking to challenge a lot of teams and this is another test for us to make sure that we can stick it with them.”

Meanwhile coach Adrian Lam compared it to Wigan’s rivalry with St Helens:

“I remember playing for Wigan and coming to play against Leigh and the talk between not only the players, but the supporters. The love hate relationship in the borough is building nicely.

“With the game on Sky on Thursday night I think it’s great for rugby league to see that rivalry. I know Wigan are forever going to have that rivalry with Saints but I think this is as tough and as close, so I’m looking forward to it.

I still live in Wigan so I’ve got to be careful of what I say and what I do but obviously I played at Wigan

“I’ll always be indebted to the club for that opportunity but my time here at Leigh has been unbelievable for my development as a coach, and what we’re building here has been a real important time of my life.

“When you look at the tickets sold I think we could potentially break our home ground record and what a great club to do it against.”

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/leigh-st ... lry-71657/