Musical Chairs

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Nine

Re: Musical Chairs

Post by Nine »

I expect the usual paranoia to surface over this announcement. For the more balanced among us it is a move that you can see makes business sense for the organisations and individuals involved. Remember that sports club management & business administration are not the same thing as running a team in a particular sport, and much of the expertise involved reads across virtually any sport.

I personally don't expect it to make a perceptible difference to us fans. But it won't be a bad thing for either club to gain a bit of expertise and fresh perspective, making best use of the talents of those involved.

As to soccer - I don't enjoy watching it so I've never bothered with it - and that applies to Latics as much but no more than any other soccer team.

My only problem is with the minority of their fans who seem to have severe personality defects that lead them to suffer from paranoia and largely uncontrolled agression, and have a need to take that out on followers of another sport. I must say it didn't surface - in my experience - until about 10 or so years ago (when anti-social behviour, as it is now known, started to become more of a problem generally in society), and didn't become a major problem until 1999 when we moved into the new stadium.
Squad number 18!
DaveO

Re: daily mail

Post by DaveO »

Hasn't John Martin been angling for a board place for a while now?

I got the impression he didn't see eye to eye with ML.

Martin has a bit of a history with the club doesn't he? This appointment is more intriguing than the two latics directors coming on board.

Dave
GeoffN

Re: daily mail

Post by GeoffN »

DaveO posted:
Hasn't John Martin been angling for a board place for a while now?

I got the impression he didn't see eye to eye with ML.

Martin has a bit of a history with the club doesn't he? This appointment is more intriguing than the two latics directors coming on board.

Dave
Yeah, I missed that bit of news!
There is some 'history' between him and ML, dating back to the Riverside days...but perhaps more significantly, Martin was the only board member in the late 90's who supported the Whelan bid against Robinson & Rathbone's Tesco deal. I seem to remember that's why Martin resigned (in '97, as I recall).
Lindsay Out

Post by Lindsay Out »

1 , i never said the rugby would fleece the Latics , it would be more of a help from the football club to the rugby , seeing as Latics have money to burn it would make sense to somehow find a way to "distribute" some of it.

2,i can never understand why rugby fans consider themselves whiter than white , where violence is concerned i have witnessed nunerous gang fights involving Wigan fans , one time i was in Walgate station while Wigan rugby and the saints fans held a running battle in the street just outside.

3 , i cant think of one benefit Lindsay will bring to the football , other than to destroy all the hard work decent people have done over the past few years with his egotistical selfish ways.

4 , Lindsay has jumped ship , like the rat he is , he is still on the rugby board , but mark my words he will cut his ties altogether in the not to distant future . god help us all !!!
damien morrissey

Post by damien morrissey »

Lindsay Out posted:

4 , Lindsay has jumped ship , like the rat he is , he is still on the rugby board , but mark my words he will cut his ties altogether in the not to distant future . god help us all !!!
I am sorry what is your opinion on this your username is Lindsay out but your comments suggest you are against this happening?
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

damien morrissey posted:
Lindsay Out posted:

I am sorry what is your opinion on this your username is Lindsay out but your comments suggest you are against this happening?
I think that he wants Lindsay out of the football club (it's OK for him to stay with the Warriors)
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Lindsay Out posted:
1 , i never said the rugby would fleece the Latics , it would be more of a help from the football club to the rugby , seeing as Latics have money to burn it would make sense to somehow find a way to "distribute" some of it.
I still don't understand where you get this idea of Latics having "money to burn". Whelan has, I agree, got money to burn, but I strongly doubt that Latics will make a profit this season - their increased income will be swallowed up by increases in wage bills, policing costs etc. as happens with most other Premiership clubs
Wigan Rugby, on the other hand, do make a profit, as shown in last year's accounts; we are one of only three SL clubs that do make a profit.

Also, as many others have pointed out - the RFL salary cap makes it impossible to spend any more on players.
damien morrissey

Post by damien morrissey »

Matthew posted:
damien morrissey posted:
Lindsay Out posted:

I think that he wants Lindsay out of the football club (it's OK for him to stay with the Warriors)
Cheers Matthew any ideas why he isnt posting this on the Latics site.
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

It could be, of course, that all this is a prelude to Lindsay retiring. He's not a young man, after all.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

damien morrissey posted:
Matthew posted:
damien morrissey posted: I am sorry what is your opinion on this your username is Lindsay out but your comments suggest you are against this happening?
Cheers Matthew any ideas why he isnt posting this on the Latics site.
I suppose it is sort of related to RL - although what goes on in the ivory towers of the club has more to do with money than how the club itself is doing.

I presume that there isn't a decent lactics board? Or maybe like p'n'b he just likes to kick us when we're down? :(
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds