Vaeliki

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
billyboy

Vaeliki

Post by billyboy »

Can anyone out there understand how Vaeliki is selected week-in, week-out? This guy is totally anonymous. I can't accept that he is picked just because he's an overseas player, after all, Seu Seu was dropped last week. Surely young Gleeson should be given a chance? He was really impressive on the few opportunities he's been given. Failing that, give the wife a chance. She frightens me more than Vaeliki. His contract should be paid up or he should be made to play in the u 21's.
My information on the dropping of Seu Seu and young Ashton by the way, is that it was a disciplinary matter. Maybe only a story, I don't know. Anyone else heard anything?
Paul Cullen's eaten my dictionary!
DaveO

Re: Vaeliki

Post by DaveO »

billyboy posted:

My information on the dropping of Seu Seu and young Ashton by the way, is that it was a disciplinary matter. Maybe only a story, I don't know. Anyone else heard anything?
Both of them? I had read Ashton was dropped for messing about on the training ground but this is the first I have read about Seu Seu being dropped for disciplinary reasons.

Strong discipline form a coach is a must but I can't help thinking there must have been better ways to sort out players messing about on the trainng ground than dropping them and re-arranging your back line and props as a consiquence.

Dave
luke_robinsons_angel

Post by luke_robinsons_angel »

Somebody told me that ashton was ill and seuseu had a knee problem from week before and it hadn't come right
Saints are just wiganers who haven't fully evolved

RIP Mike Gregory, one of lifes real legends.
Nine

Post by Nine »

David Vaealiki is a huge disappointment at the moment. Gav ehim leeway last year because it was his first with us and he came after a very serious injury. But if he can't pick up form this season then I think it's time to say ta-ta.

Gleeson and Goulding both look talented players - I'd give one or other a go against one of the "lesser " teams (yes, I know we're not that hot either at the moment) if only to see if a kick up the backside will do Vaealiki any good. He undoubtedly, on past experience, has the talent, but it's a puzzle where it's all gone since he came to us.

On "dropping" player generally, I don;t think it's always a question of being dropped with the connotation that it;s some kind of criticism or disciplinary action. We are fortunate so far to have more fit players than 17, so there is going to be a certain amount of reshuffling every week dependingonhow the coaching staff assess the opposition. If Prescott for example does not play this week is he dropped, or is there just not room for him in the team this week?

Squad number 18!
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Nine posted:
If Prescott for example does not play this week is he dropped, or is there just not room for him in the team this week?
Prescott will play this week - as Feka is out

However I think most people's problem with last week's team was the dropping of Ashton. He was dropped and 3 players played out of position as a result (although it could be argued that Brown has no position).

Surely it would have made more sense to bring in someone like gleeson on the wing (if Dallas had to play fullback) and leave Richards in the centre - rather than play Brown who is simply not big enough or good enough in defense?
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

From what I have seen of Gleeson and heard of Goulding, either of them should play against any team other than possibly the big 3. I would drop DV for them.
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

Millward said he didnt drop Ashton for form related purposes, merely because he wanted to try out richards on the wing :conf:
Think that was in the league express, could of been the observer as i read them one after another an cant remember which it was
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

i Heard he played Richards on the wing to watch thier winger who keeps scoring from kicks. He won't drop Dallas, so Ashton had to go.
As with Vialiki, im not a big fan, but centres are not lloking good at wigan as they're getting no good ball...same as the wingers.
Who's the last centre at wigan who you could call a great....my votes on Renouf.
- psycho -

Post by - psycho - »

conolly when he played there?
"what ever happens... we stick together... we stay together... we survive."

-------------------------------------
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

First Try Tickle posted:
i Heard he played Richards on the wing to watch thier winger who keeps scoring from kicks. He won't drop Dallas, so Ashton had to go.
If correct that is stupid. Since when has Dallas been a liability on the wing in defence?

That is one change that didn't need making but it has the ring of truth about it.

Millward seems to love to try and out-coach his oppsoite number by switching players to positions he thinks they will counter an opposing teams strength.

The trouble is in so doing he goes and ruins the rest of the team and the players get anopther week without developing an understanding.

Dave