Team for Saints

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Team for Saints

Post by Charriots Offiah »

josie andrews wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:38 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:06 pm If we are short of a winger then let Eckersley have a go.
Eckersley is a centre! If we are stuck for a winger there is Jacob Douglas in the first team squad 😊
He’s also played wing and full back.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

morley pie eater wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:23 pm
EagleEyePie wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:02 pm I think it makes sense to stick with the experienced players and not throw in a youngster unless we're in a position where we're putting too many square pegs in round holes.

If Wardle is banned and Marshall is out then we've got a backline reshuffle but nothing we haven't had to deal with before. Miski deserves to keep his place anyway. King did well on the wing against Leigh. KPP had a good game at centre so we need 1 more centre and both Isa and Farrell have played in that position several times. We're not talking about moving someone into a role they've never played before.

We could have a team of:
French; King, KPP, Farrell, Miski; Powell, Smith; Cooper, O'Neill, Byrne; Isa, Smithies, Ellis
Shorrocks, Havard, Singleton, Mago.

For me that's the safe option. The least experienced player is O'Neill and he's more than deserving of the role he has in that side.

I think if you treat that as the default side because they have all been involved so far this year you can then look at whether there is anything to be gained by dropping one of those senior players and bringing in a younger player.

Perhaps Forber on the bench (as he'll already have a couple of SL games under his belt) with Mago not included would make sense, as even last year when Mago was capable of a good game or two he really seemed to struggle against Saints. Perhaps Astley could be on the bench as a plan B without necessarily having to be called upon - I don't think starting him is worth the risk. Mago is definitely the biggest question mark when it comes to only picking those who have already played this season.

I'd love to see Eckersley given a go on the wing, but given we've got 5 back row forwards and 3 of them have started multiple games at centre (and Shorrocks has played there too) it doesn't seem like a risk worth taking or one that makes much sense if you're thinking of a safety first approach.

As WF said, we can make changes against Wire and I think we'll probably have to because we've had some really tough games when backing up after a Saints derby. That might be the game where player management takes precedence over getting a result. You don't want to be flogging players at this time of the year and while 3 games in 3 weeks is nothing significant, 3 derby games which should be high intensity and require much higher work rates isn't the norm and there's nothing to prove at this stage of the season.
josie andrews wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:38 pm

Eckersley is a centre! If we are stuck for a winger there is Jacob Douglas in the first team squad 😊
That's nitpicking. He's a centre or winger and equally comfortable in both roles. Players don't just have one position.
Spot on! Swap Ellis and Shorrocks from starting to bench and, given your qualified choice of Mago, your team is what I suggested above.
I think we will go for players who are good defensively. Saints are not a great attacking side so we need to make it a battle.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Is Marshall definitely out?

If we have both Wardle and Marshall available I'd still feel quite comfortable if we had both of those even with Field and Cust out
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Let's target Hurell. His defense is very suspect. Keep them out and gee a couple down his side and jobs a good un.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Probably Powell has shown enough in the last two games to be the obvious choice at 6 v Saints.
That means O'Neill would start at hooker and maybe Forber as bench hooker - Forber can play the half back role and the Reserves/Academy have had both O'Neil and Forber on the pitch at the same time.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:31 am Is Marshall definitely out?

If we have both Wardle and Marshall available I'd still feel quite comfortable if we had both of those even with Field and Cust out
I think he’ll play. Peet said it was a cut on his foot that they cannot stitch and he’ll be back within the next few weeks but it all felt a bit like he was just keeping people (Saints) guessing. Maybe I’m underestimating a cut on your foot but I can’t see it keeping him out of the Good Friday Derby.
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

morley pie eater wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:02 pm

Happy to leave it to Matty Peet, but thought I'd join the fun.
You're got no choice in the matter Morley :) but if picking a team is fun?so be it
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

NICKYKISS wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:35 am
Blackpool_Pie wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:31 am Is Marshall definitely out?

I think he’ll play. Peet said it was a cut on his foot that they cannot stitch and he’ll be back within the next few weeks but it all felt a bit like he was just keeping people (Saints) guessing. Maybe I’m underestimating a cut on your foot but I can’t see it keeping him out of the Good Friday Derby.
Stud wasn’t it that seems to have gone manky but yes I think he will play
Fizz Bomb

Post by Fizz Bomb »

Chris Radlinski should be an expert on a cut foot, he played quite well at Murrayfield in 2002, ( co-incidentally also against Sentelins) with one.
We have the history Sentelins wish they had
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

Fizz Bomb wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:51 pm Chris Radlinski should be an expert on a cut foot, he played quite well at Murrayfield in 2002, ( co-incidentally also against Sentelins) with one.
Yes and if memory serves kept young Ashton out of the team after faultlessly standing in for him when Rads was injured. Ridiculous. He went to Union shortly after. I wonder why? Josie you'll know