Team for Saints

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
NICKYKISS

Re: Team for Saints

Post by NICKYKISS »

archiekeith wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:43 pm
Fizz Bomb wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:51 pm Chris Radlinski should be an expert on a cut foot, he played quite well at Murrayfield in 2002, ( co-incidentally also against Sentelins) with one.
Yes and if memory serves kept young Ashton out of the team after faultlessly standing in for him when Rads was injured. Ridiculous. He went to Union shortly after. I wonder why? Josie you'll know
Ashton wasn’t around then, he made his debut in 2005, when we were awful (but somehow got even worse the following year). Ashton went to Union for the same reason they all do (££££). He was fullback in 2006 IIRC, when Rads came out of retirement but Rads played centre.

Rads had an insect bite that had become infected in the week leading up to the final and had to have it cut and the infection drained out on the morning of the game. I don’t think he missed many (if any actually) games in the run up to the final. It was an issue that came out of nowhere.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Sits a lot easier with me having Marshy and Miski on the wings with 2 of Wardle, King and KPP in the centres
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Fizz Bomb wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:51 pm Chris Radlinski should be an expert on a cut foot, he played quite well at Murrayfield in 2002, ( co-incidentally also against Sentelins) with one.
Yes and if memory serves kept young Ashton out of the team after faultlessly standing in for him when Rads was injured. Ridiculous. He went to Union shortly after. I wonder why? Josie you'll know
It was all down to money, Wigan were paying a pittance.
Charriots Offiah

widdenoldboy wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:50 am Probably Powell has shown enough in the last two games to be the obvious choice at 6 v Saints.
That means O'Neill would start at hooker and maybe Forber as bench hooker - Forber can play the half back role and the Reserves/Academy have had both O'Neil and Forber on the pitch at the same time.
I can see no other choice but Powell. O’Neill can do 80 mins.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:03 pm
widdenoldboy wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:50 am Probably Powell has shown enough in the last two games to be the obvious choice at 6 v Saints.
That means O'Neill would start at hooker and maybe Forber as bench hooker - Forber can play the half back role and the Reserves/Academy have had both O'Neil and Forber on the pitch at the same time.
There is a choice IMO and that’s to play a halfback in the halves and that means putting Astley at 6. I don’t buy in to intense games being too risky to throw kids in, I actually think they’re pretty good games to give them a shot. All 34 players on the day are totally switched on and the senior players around Astley would take pride in helping him through. If the lad is considered a halfback, considered worthy of a first team squad number and they think he has a future here, they should give him the shirt IMO.

I look at Powell and he isn’t a halfback. He played there as a junior but he’s even slower now than he was then, his running game is non existent and you’re doing no more then sticking a decent defender in there to avoid any risk. Peet has done a really good job so far but his reluctance to give the young lads a chance surprises me, especially when you consider his academy background. The only debuts he’s given (or 2nd/3rd appearances) have been in games where he’s rested 10+ players.
Charriots Offiah

NICKYKISS wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:22 am
There is a choice IMO and that’s to play a halfback in the halves and that means putting Astley at 6. I don’t buy in to intense games being too risky to throw kids in, I actually think they’re pretty good games to give them a shot. All 34 players on the day are totally switched on and the senior players around Astley would take pride in helping him through. If the lad is considered a halfback, considered worthy of a first team squad number and they think he has a future here, they should give him the shirt IMO.

I look at Powell and he isn’t a halfback. He played there as a junior but he’s even slower now than he was then, his running game is non existent and you’re doing no more then sticking a decent defender in there to avoid any risk. Peet has done a really good job so far but his reluctance to give the young lads a chance surprises me, especially when you consider his academy background. The only debuts he’s given (or 2nd/3rd appearances) have been in games where he’s rested 10+ players.
You are correct but I am going off Peet’s comments that the team will be made up of personnel who have been involved thus far this season. Peet intends making this game an arm wrestle and therefore he will want 17 players who can defend. I would like to see Astley given a go and Eckersley if we are short on three quarters. The GF will not be lost on Friday and we may need these lads to step up again later in the season.
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

I agree we should put Astley in time to find out if he will make the grade I spoke to a saints fan yesterday and he said that Forber was Wakefields best player against them on Friday we need to play these young lads or risk losing them ie Nicholson McDonnell?????
blindsideprop

Post by blindsideprop »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:06 pm If we are short of a winger then let Eckersley have a go.
Not an earthly chance,did you see whay happened to Luke Hooley Friday night?,he was targeted and had a nightmare debut.Pett wont allow that to happen .
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

NICKYKISS wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:22 am

Maybe with Peets background with these lads we should give him a bit of trust on knowing if they are ready to step up.

His given O'Neil a fair chunk of game time so far.

While I agree youth have to be put into the squad we are still coming together as a team at the moment and this isn't the time. Smith was shoved in to early due to necessity and he was ripped to shreds in the first season.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

NICKYKISS wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:04 pm
Ashton wasn’t around then, he made his debut in 2005, when we were awful (but somehow got even worse the following year). Ashton went to Union for the same reason they all do (££££). He was fullback in 2006 IIRC, when Rads came out of retirement but Rads played centre.

Rads had an insect bite that had become infected in the week leading up to the final and had to have it cut and the infection drained out on the morning of the game. I don’t think he missed many (if any actually) games in the run up to the final. It was an issue that came out of nowhere.
Thanks for that Nicky. Best move he probably made. I'm told he's worth 2 to 6 million now