No Passion = No wins

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

No Passion = No wins

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I think the main problem at wigan is no-one cares anymore. There are that many new players no one has a sense of what it is to be a wigan player in a winning wigan side. I think there is no passion and no heart in the players thats why players who are good on paper aren't playing because they just aren't giving their all. This is all made worse by the lack of a captain because one things for sure if faz was still here the team would not be playing like they are! He would of kicked them up the a*se and said get on with it!

I dont think changing millward is the way forward i think i heard that there is only 1 remaining staff memeber from 2 years ago at wigan and thats only the kitman the last thing we need is change, what we really need is these players to realise just what club they are playing for and what it means and he responibility you take on when you put that wian shirt on!
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Doveoverdave

Re: No Passion = No wins

Post by Doveoverdave »

I don't accuse them of not trying - they are simply not good enough! If you played me , I would try my heart out - but I'm positive you would be dissapointed.
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

It sounds good, but how do you do it in the time now remaining to us?

At present, the best we can hope for is that the team pulls together under Millward's guidance, and even if it doesn't play with pride in the shirt, at least puts on a professional enough show to win all the 'winnable' fixtures that remain. Anything else after that would be a bonus.

I honestly don't think that chopping and changing at this stage of the season will do anything other than hinder our development further. However, I DO suspect that, should we lose on Sunday and thus find ourselves in a relegation dogfight before the end of the second month of the season, Ian Millward's job will be in danger. Our owners are not known for their patience, and this is surely the worst start to a season in living memory.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

Cruncher posted:
However, I DO suspect that, should we lose on Sunday and thus find ourselves in a relegation dogfight before the end of the second month of the season, Ian Millward's job will be in danger. Our owners are not known for their patience, and this is surely the worst start to a season in living memory.
Perhaps THAT's what the Latics directors are here for: didn't they once go through 3 managers in one season? Perhaps the club wanted some people with much more experience of dealing with getting rid of coaches...
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Fraggle posted:
Cruncher posted:
However, I DO suspect that, should we lose on Sunday and thus find ourselves in a relegation dogfight before the end of the second month of the season, Ian Millward's job will be in danger. Our owners are not known for their patience, and this is surely the worst start to a season in living memory.
Perhaps THAT's what the Latics directors are here for: didn't they once go through 3 managers in one season? Perhaps the club wanted some people with much more experience of dealing with getting rid of coaches...
Surely ML qualifies for that!

dave
superleague

Post by superleague »

Doug Stand posted:
Dod's right. I don't think that any of the players go out there and just think of the wages. They are all pro's and a desire to win just as much as anyone...
Unfortunatley some of them are just not good enough and no amount of kissing badges and knowing the history is going to make a difference.
i agree
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

To be honest, I can not thing of many in the normal first 17 for Wigan who are not decent players in their own right, or who weren't at some previous time.

Few of the team are currently playing well, but of the REALLY weak links - Richards, DV, Orr, Moran, Brown, Tickle, Hansen - none of these are players that you would ordinarily call crap. Last season we were chocka with very average players, and on paper are much stronger this year.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have an answer for the present problem. But while these guys are not good enough for Wigan's time-honoured tradition of having top-guns in every position, they're not a bunch of stone jugs. There must be more to it than our guys just not being good enough.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

DaveO posted:
Fraggle posted:
Cruncher posted:
Surely ML qualifies for that!

dave
Aye, but I don't think ML has gone through more than one coach a season - didn't the Latics have 3 one year?! It must be difficult to remember who is owed out when you're trying to pay people off... :)
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Cruncher posted:
To be honest, I can not thing of many in the normal first 17 for Wigan who are not decent players in their own right, or who weren't at some previous time.

Few of the team are currently playing well, but of the REALLY weak links - Richards, DV, Orr, Moran, Brown, Tickle, Hansen - none of these are players that you would ordinarily call crap. Last season we were chocka with very average players, and on paper are much stronger this year.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have an answer for the present problem. But while these guys are not good enough for Wigan's time-honoured tradition of having top-guns in every position, they're not a bunch of stone jugs. There must be more to it than our guys just not being good enough.
My thoughts exactly thats why i am putting it down to lack of effort if you look at players like Calderwood,Richards,Orr, Moran every single one of them was a top try scorer before coming to wigan DV was rated amogst them best centers in the world and higham was explosive for St Helens. Now either its of 3 things:

1. they have all just decided they are now crap
2. they aren't trying hard enough
3. they are strugglin to adapt to the new team

now to me 3. isn't even applicable to Moran,Orr and DV cos they have had a over a season to get it together so it seems more probable the answer is 2.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Cruncher posted:
I agree. The fact they are not stone jugs and should be doing better is why, as is being discussed on another thread, the equation

Disappointment = Expectation - Acheivement

gives a very high result.

Dave