Memorable Derby games

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Euclid

Re: Memorable Derby games

Post by Euclid »

Well I might be a bit vague here, but my game was 1994 Boxing Day game at the scousers ground….I don’t remember the final score but we won. We took a huge lead into half time, even after Neil Cowie got his nose busted by Adam Fogerty. My memories are a bit random, and I’ve not been able able to find anything about the match on you tube, but in the second half we were playing 11 against 13 at one point, and the scousers were rapidly catching up, even taking the lead with not long to go. When all looked lost someone (maybe Shaun Edwards) broke the Saints line and Martin Offiah was in support to carve open their defence and score the winning try.
Other random memories include Inga absolutely battering his opposite number, and every time he did , saying “Jesus loves you” to him. I remember this as we were right on the touch line. At the end of the game a big fat scouser tried to pick a fight with my old mum, 5’2” and in her late 60s, but was knocked on his backside by one of his mates and then lost his nerve.
All in all a very satisfying game, and if anyone can fill in the many gaps in my memory, I’d be very grateful
DaiJones

Post by DaiJones »

100% this. Boxing Day 1994 one of my favourite games of anything ever. The centrepiece of a Boxing Day so good that I was very tempted to drop out of university so I could spend all my time back in Wigan.

We went into a big lead, lost Cowie to the sin bin after the fight with Fogerty and then Henry Paul was red carded (very harshly) for contact with Steve Prescott and then thanks to more sin binnings (Connolly definitely and probably Skerrett) we played most of the second half with 11 men meaning a very good Sts side led by Bobbie Goulding and Tommy Martyn came back to lead. All seemed lost with about four minutes to go when Inga Tuigamala suddenly straightened up and rampaged through about four tackles to score under the posts. Then a couple of minutes later, Offiah went over after an outrageous sidestep to put the win beyond any doubt. He and Edwards did their famous head nodding celebration and the Saints ball boy was famously caught flicking the Vs at them on Sky.

It had everything-great rugby, fights, refereeing controversy, packed ground, see saw scoreline and a fabulous last minute victory
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

You’re all incredible 😀 I’ve a job to remember last week let alone 30-50 years ago 😂 but I must say you are all jogging my memory 👍🏼 Well done 👏🏼
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Euclid

Post by Euclid »

30-50 years ago is easy….30-50 minutes ago very difficult
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Euclid wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:52 am 30-50 years ago is easy….30-50 minutes ago very difficult
I can’t remember either 🤔🫡😳
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Henry Paul drop out try
bill.inger

Post by bill.inger »

Boxing day, around the late 50's, freezing cold and sleet blowingacross the pitch. Eric Ashton kicked four penalties for an 8 to nil win. I remember that Ashton was in bed with flu and the club sent a car for him.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Euclid wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:52 am 30-50 years ago is easy….30-50 minutes ago very difficult
:)
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

morley pie eater wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:25 pm 27 beawt has to be the top game.

I remember a tough one at CP in the 60s that we won 7-2 (I think). Massive crowd, great atmosphere, and a super win. Not sure if it was league or cup.

*I found it!
27th Feb 1965, 2nd round cup match.
I found the teams for the above game:

27th February 1965
Challenge Cup 2nd round.

Wigan
Ashby, Boston, Ashton, Holden, Lake, C Hill, Parr, Barton, Clarke, McTigue, Stephens, Evans (try), Gilfedder (2 goals).

Saints
Coslett (goal), Van Vollenhoven, Northey, A Barrow, Killeen, Benyon, Murphy, Tembey, Dagnall, Watson, French, Hicks, Laughton.

Ref: R Appleyard (Leeds)

Attendance: 39,938

Our tryscorer, Roy Evans, was a butcher in Ince.

The Good Friday league game at CP that year drew a gate of 34,796.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐