Cooper injury

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Cooper injury

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:16 pm He'll be out for a bit. Shame for him. Peet doesn't seem to trust Mago or Singleton
Neither do I. Singo looks shot and Mago I simply don’t see what he offers.
Pieman13

Post by Pieman13 »

Agree, both are pants. Bring back H.Hill and force Wakefield to swap Mago for Whitbread :D
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

I disagree with singo he always seems to come good after a few bad games….. not sure where we going with mago though….. its defo a waste of cap space if he doesnt play
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Firestarter wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:37 pm I disagree with singo he always seems to come good after a few bad games….. not sure where we going with mago though….. its defo a waste of cap space if he doesnt play
Likely without both for next week - Mago back along with Harvie Hill?
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

How can you slag players off after that today, Singleton did his bit ,was our so called poor pack dominated by the world champions, I don't reckon it was,we lost a marquee player in Bateman just before the season and haven't replaced him, leave it out for one day at least ffs.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Mickw wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:04 am How can you slag players off after that today, Singleton did his bit ,was our so called poor pack dominated by the world champions, I don't reckon it was,we lost a marquee player in Bateman just before the season and haven't replaced him, leave it out for one day at least ffs.
In this context Michael, I think discussing players who may be in line to replace a player who has just got injured is actually allowed. If their is a rule on this forum where you may not talk negatively about any player the day of beating Saints then I'll hold my hands up. However, I'm fairly certain this ridiculous rule doesn't exist so stop trying to police it
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

You wallow in your own misery all you like then,me I'd rather celebrate what we can do ,but hey whatever floats your boat ,history suggests at wigan someone gets injured the next youngster takes his chance ,Singletons a solid players player IMO so police that.
The Pearl1

Post by The Pearl1 »

Firestarter wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:37 pm I disagree with singo he always seems to come good after a few bad games….. not sure where we going with mago though….. its defo a waste of cap space if he doesnt play
We are just waiting for Mago’s contract to expire and he’ll be on the plane home.

Huddersfield away he was absolutely dreadful and made 4 lazy errors in his 10 minute spell.

Hope Coopers not too bad.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Mickw wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:32 am You wallow in your own misery all you like then,me I'd rather celebrate what we can do ,but hey whatever floats your boat ,history suggests at wigan someone gets injured the next youngster takes his chance ,Singletons a solid players player IMO so police that.
Strange that on the thread Memorable Derby Games, no-one came on and said "Yea, we beat Saints 27-O, but Ian Lucas missed 2 tackles,we should've got rid of him."
Or "That away game in 1938 we won 2-28. how Jim Sullivan missed that goal - and they still picked him next match!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

It felt like Cooper's game time was being carefully managed so far this year as he'd been spending much less time on the field, but he was still performing an important role. I thought he had a really good game yesterday and his presence in the pack has been important alongside our younger forwards. He's definitely going to be a big miss but hopefully the injury isn't too serious.

I don't think it's way out of line to be critical of Singleton. He's been missing from the team for a reason so it seems Matt Peet doesn't think he's performed well enough over recent games. He was in the team yesterday but only played about 10 minutes, the only work he did was in defence and that's largely because he conceded a penalty that gave Saints great field position to put us under some sustained pressure.

Singleton isn't terrible and he's more than capable of putting in some really good performances, he's just massively frustrating. He's had some good games this season but they came against Wakefield and Castleford so not exactly high quality opposition. Against Catalans and Salford he was pretty dire and it's hard to argue against him losing his place in the side.

At this stage in his career I don't think it's unfair to be expecting him to playing like a leader of the pack and being consistent. Ellis, Havard and Byrne are managing to maintain a good level of performance and that seems to be what Singleton struggles with. He can have a really good game but that's maybe once every 8 to 10 matches and there can be some really poor games in between.

Having just played two derbies and with another coming up it's a great opportunity for Singleton and Mago if they get their chance though. There'll be some tired bodies out there and we usually have a bit of a dip in performance after beating Saints so fresher middles could be very useful.