Cooper injury

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
jasonnlouise

Re: Cooper injury

Post by jasonnlouise »

Really sad for the lad who's been a good signing fear at his age this could be the end of his career
stevo38

Post by stevo38 »

try a bid for tyler dupree from salford very good prospect
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Promote from within?
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

WIGIAN wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:47 pm Shame for Cooper no nonsense grafter if Mago had 50% of Coopers attitude he'd be smashing it. . Over on Redvee I see its us citing Knowles due to the injury sustained sometimes the stupidity beggars belief, funny this morning I said there was nothing in the Knowles challenge and still do its just an unlucky outcome no malice .
Is this the incident that Knowles is being charged with, or something else from the game (open question)?
Is citing a thing still, everything seems to be analysed anyway?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Super League star slams "disgraceful tackle" that ended Wigan Warriors Mike Cooper’s season

THERE has recently been a crackdown on dangerous tackles from both the northern and southern hemispheres.

One of those tackles that has been under intense scrutiny is the ‘hip-drop’ tackle. A hip-drop tackle is where a defender grapples an attacking player, twisting their body and dropping their body weight on the lower legs of the opposing player. In doing so, it traps the attacker’s lower limbs in a dangerous position.

Twice in the Disciplinary Match Review Panel from the Easter weekend’s games was such a tackle cited.

Morgan Smithies of Wigan Warriors has been banned for one game after being charged with a Grade B Dangerous Tackle, whilst Morgan Knowles of St Helens will be heading to an Operational Rules Tribunal tonight after being slapped with a Grade D Dangerous Tackle.

Knowles’ tackle has ended Mike Cooper’s season, with the latter set to be out for nine to 12 months.

Fellow Super League star Jermaine McGillvary has taken a strong stance on social media in reaction to the tackle, tweeting: “All the best in your recovery big man @MikeCooper_18 💪🏿

“Honestly these tackles need to be outlawed….absolutely disgraceful. I know the feeling too well having been on the end of one last season which left me out for more than 6months.”

Meanwhile, Saints head coach Paul Wellens has defended Knowles.

“We got a phone call from the Match Review Panel on Monday that Morgan Knowles had been charge with a Grade D,” Wellens said.

“What I would say in this situation is no coach or player wants players to suffer injuries but injuries are part and parcel of the sport. Ours is a collision sport and things can go wrong at times.

“I know Morgan Knowles as a person and how tough he plays the game and how honest a person is. He doesn’t go out on the field to injure players.

“I came off Twitter 12 months ago now for good reason, rugby league is about opinion and everyone has them. What social media does is it gives everyone a platform to share that opinion.”

https://www.totalrl.com/super-league-st ... rs-season/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:59 pm Super League star slams "disgraceful tackle" that ended Wigan Warriors Mike Cooper’s season

Meanwhile, Saints head coach Paul Wellens has defended Knowles.

“We got a phone call from the Match Review Panel on Monday that Morgan Knowles had been charge with a Grade D,” Wellens said.

“What I would say in this situation is no coach or player wants players to suffer injuries but injuries are part and parcel of the sport. Ours is a collision sport and things can go wrong at times.

“I know Morgan Knowles as a person and how tough he plays the game and how honest a person is. He doesn’t go out on the field to injure players.

“I came off Twitter 12 months ago now for good reason, rugby league is about opinion and everyone has them. What social media does is it gives everyone a platform to share that opinion.”

https://www.totalrl.com/super-league-st ... rs-season/
What a bloody hypocrite! I came off twitter blah, blah and then he says that?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

fozzieskem wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:03 pm As for FPN if I remember rightly hjs debut was at Leeds or least one of his first games it took 4 or 5 of them to get him down he looked.the real deal.and indeed the rest of that season he looked to be a very fine signing but as we all k ow it soured very quickly and yes I do feel it was the way he was being asked to play that he couldn't get his head round sad really that night in Leeds he looked mouthwatering.
Yes his nickname was wrecking ball and was asked not to be one.
pedro

Post by pedro »

DaveO wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:27 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:03 pm As for FPN if I remember rightly hjs debut was at Leeds or least one of his first games it took 4 or 5 of them to get him down he looked.the real deal.and indeed the rest of that season he looked to be a very fine signing but as we all k ow it soured very quickly and yes I do feel it was the way he was being asked to play that he couldn't get his head round sad really that night in Leeds he looked mouthwatering.
Yes his nickname was wrecking ball and was asked not to be one.
that was for tackling not running
Wes

Post by Wes »

Knowles has ended Coopers season, last year he did the same to McGilveray and he was also holding the Penrith winger up when Paasi ended his season now I’m not putting the blame on Knowles for all 3 but maybe the RFL should have a quiet word with Saints and tell them to clean it up a tad🤷
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Paul Wellens launches defiant Morgan Knowles defence after Jermaine McGillvary tweet

McGillvary posted a tweet that has drawn attention to the England star.

Paul Wellens has defended his underfire forward Morgan Knowles after he was charged by the RFL Match Review Panel. The St Helens and England ace is facing a ban if found guilty of dangerous contact in a tackle that saw Wigan Warriors' Mike Cooper have his season ended due to an ACL injury.

Jermaine McGillvary then added further focus on Knowles after posting a clip from last season in which he also suffered a serious knee injury, that also involved Knowles in the tackle.

Saints boss Wellens was questioned about McGillvary's tweet and responded by showing support for his star player.

He said: “What I can do is speak confidently around Morgan Knowles as a person and how tough he plays the game and how honest a person is and how he doesn’t go out on the field to injure players.

“I came off Twitter 12 months ago now for good reason I think, but listen, rugby league is about opinions and we all have them. What social media does is it gives everyone a voice to give their opinion. If players want to go down that route to give their opinion I've got to respect that because they're not doing anything wrong.

In the build-up to when we are facing a tribunal it is important that it doesn’t become trial by social media.”

He added: “What I would say in this situation is no coach or player wants players to suffer injuries but at the same time, injuries are part and parcel given the nature of the sport. Ours is a collision sport and things can go wrong at times.

Morgan is disappointed that a player is injured, he doesn’t go out on the field to injure an opponent and I don't think many do if any at all. Morgan is obviously disappointed with the situation that he finds himself in, and it's obviously really disappointing for Mike, Mike is a player I really like and have respected him for a long time and I played against him many years ago."

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... n-26676112
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan