Shorrocks

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
EagleEyePie

Re: Shorrocks

Post by EagleEyePie »

I would argue 13 is his obvious position and hopefully he gets an extended run in the team there. Ever since he came into the side he looked like an ideal fit for that role it was just a case of him getting the opportunities and showing the right form. Size isn't the be all and end all for forwards but I understand why it might be a concern in a pack lacking size to have another small forward down the middle. Before the Leigh game I wrote about how losing a prop might affect us but decided the ineffectiveness of Singleton and Mago made it less of an issue and in the end Shorrocks ended up making more metres than those two props usually do. As long as the props do what props should do there's no issue with Shorrocks at 13.

With the way we tend to play a second rower would need to be fairly strong with their carries and I don't think his carries are as effective when he's out wide. Down the middle he's quicker and more agile than most of the players around him, whereas at second row I don't think he has a particular advantage over the players around him. Though of course lots of players can adapt to different roles over time.

I think the reality is there are plenty of teams that have forwards who don't make a huge number of carries but work their socks off in defence. If that was all we got from Shorrocks there'd still be a justification for including him, but his strength as a ball player and the work he does off the ball is so good that it seems crazy to leave him out. The experience he's getting in the halves will only increase his value to the team.

With Cooper out for the season I think it makes it easier to accommodate Shorrocks. Smithies can be used like a prop in our rotation as he has done on a few occasions already, so we can still get plenty of minutes out of Smithies and get good minutes from Shorrocks.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Joe's always had the ability, now he is showing top application.

If we can get the "big bopper" forwards playing consistent we can accomodate more game changers in the team and not have the bench dominated by props, shoring up the others. Already seeing the benefit of O'Neil on the banch, having Joe cover half/loose and 2nd row would be great. No problem with him starting either :)
butchbulldog

Post by butchbulldog »

cherry toffee wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:02 pm Been a fan of Shorrocks since watching him in the academy and always thought he had all the skills for a 13 , maybe a bit on small side but think he’s like Bateman in that he plays above his weight, he also seems to be a natural leader and reads the game well . For me it would be Smithies second row and Joe loose
Totally agree, Smithies a great player but doesn’t pass enough, joe has the skills to be a good loose