Opinions on former players

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Gerrumonside

Re: Opinions on former players

Post by Gerrumonside »

I grew up watching a lot of those players and have some fond memories from seeing those names listed!

From what I recall rob smyth did a good job - small nippey but got on the end of a good few tries.
Nigel Wright bags of potential - not bad just didn’t work out, injuries didn’t help.
Henry Paul was the better of the 2 Paul’s for me and what a talent - his balance to jink, spin at full speed and ride a tackle was immense - phenomenal player!
Craig Murdock came in as the next Shaun Edwards - good halfback
Simon Haughton burst on the scene as an Olympic record setting 2nd row if I recall - solid 2nd row and played well for us.
Martin Hall awesome hooker and my 2nd all time behind Dermott who is from that same era
Cowie for me ranksup there for a Wigan prop - formed a triumvirate of no nonsense front rowers with Andy Platt and Kelvin Skerrett and those 3 were unbeatable!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:03 am Growing up in the early 90s I watched a lot of Wigan mostly on Sky TV, but not living close to central park or having many mates who followed wigan and obviously no social media, I never really knew what the general feelings towards certain players were ability wise. I knew who I really enjoyed watching and who I thought was really good but I was only young. So I would really like to hear some opinions about the following players:

Rob Smyth
Nigel Wright
Henry Paul
Craig Murdock
Simon Haughton
Martin Hall
Tony Smith
Neil Cowie
Tony Mestrov
Danny Moore

Any thoughts will be glady received
Rob Smyth - OK, nothing special
Nigel Wright - ankle injury did for him so never reached his potential with us and hated it we decided he was finished as a result
Henry Paul - top class player. Was seriously fed up when he left.
Craig Murdock - squad player
Simon Haughton - could have been world class but I don't think his heart was in it
Martin Hall - decent but not one of the clubs top no 9's of the modern era
Tony Smith - good player but I seem to recall he picked up a lot of flack
Neil Cowie - top class prop
Tony Mestrov - one of the first signings where you thought WTF have we signed him!
Danny Moore - I thought he was OK, certainly better than having second rows in the centre as we have done recently though he himself started as a back row forward before switching to the centres in 1993 where he was a regular NRL first grade start (joined us in 1998)
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

DaveO wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:47 pm
Blackpool_Pie wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:03 am Growing up in the early 90s I watched a lot of Wigan mostly on Sky TV, but not living close to central park or having many mates who followed wigan and obviously no social media, I never really knew what the general feelings towards certain players were ability wise. I knew who I really enjoyed watching and who I thought was really good but I was only young. So I would really like to hear some opinions about the following players:

Rob Smyth
Nigel Wright
Henry Paul
Craig Murdock
Simon Haughton
Martin Hall
Tony Smith
Neil Cowie
Tony Mestrov
Danny Moore

Any thoughts will be glady received
Rob Smyth - OK, nothing special
Nigel Wright - ankle injury did for him so never reached his potential with us and hated it we decided he was finished as a result
Henry Paul - top class player. Was seriously fed up when he left.
Craig Murdock - squad player
Simon Haughton - could have been world class but I don't think his heart was in it
Martin Hall - decent but not one of the clubs top no 9's of the modern era
Tony Smith - good player but I seem to recall he picked up a lot of flack
Neil Cowie - top class prop
Tony Mestrov - one of the first signings where you thought WTF have we signed him!
Danny Moore - I thought he was OK, certainly better than having second rows in the centre as we have done recently though he himself started as a back row forward before switching to the centres in 1993 where he was a regular NRL first grade start (joined us in 1998)
All were "good"players,but it's important to qualify that the topic title has been constrained byDaves post. That said I agree with his comments
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Henry Paul the pick of the bunch.
Come to us at 20-21 years of age from wakey and what a joy to watch, was gutted when he left.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Barney841 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:15 pm Henry Paul the pick of the bunch.
Come to us at 20-21 years of age from wakey and what a joy to watch, was gutted when he left.
Best try i saw him score was against us for wakey Agree with most of the comments but nigel wright lacked pace but had class and was unlucky with injuries.Haughton was good at scoring but wasnt mad on defence( he would have made a great barnstorming winger for me).Cowie did well but wasnt our best prop and hall was very classy.Danny was a terrible signing and rarely had a good game for us( very much like jamie ainscough)
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Firestarter wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:32 pm
Barney841 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:15 pm Henry Paul the pick of the bunch.
Best try i saw him score was against us for wakey Agree with most of the comments but nigel wright lacked pace but had class and was unlucky with injuries.Haughton was good at scoring but wasnt mad on defence( he would have made a great barnstorming winger for me).Cowie did well but wasnt our best prop and hall was very classy.Danny was a terrible signing and rarely had a good game for us( very much like jamie ainscough)
One try that’s sticks out for me was in 94 against Saints when we did a drop out and it bounced around the half way line and Paul regained the ball and ran half the length of the field to score, caught Saints proper off guard class try