The best thing that could be done to improve rugby league is...

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
moto748

The best thing that could be done to improve rugby league is...

Post by moto748 »

Enforce the law that the p-t-b should be played with the foot at all times. Quick p-t-bs, yes. But not so quick that you can't do it properly. Let's have fair play at the ruck for attack and defence. Players barging into the markers and forcing them back (seldom penalised) should be clamped down on too.

Do you agree?
josie andrews

Re: The best thing that could be done to improve rugby league is...

Post by josie andrews »

moto748 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:42 pm Enforce the law that the p-t-b should be played with the foot at all times. Quick p-t-bs, yes. But not so quick that you can't do it properly. Let's have fair play at the ruck for attack and defence. Players barging into the markers and forcing them back (seldom penalised) should be clamped down on too.

Do you agree?
Yes, said it for yonks!

They, the RFL, supposedly made it one of the rules again a couple of years ago, they, the referees, did ‘clamp’ down on it for all of half a season then stopped. It seemed to be too much trouble to monitor!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

moto748 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:42 pm Enforce the law that the p-t-b should be played with the foot at all times. Quick p-t-bs, yes. But not so quick that you can't do it properly. Let's have fair play at the ruck for attack and defence. Players barging into the markers and forcing them back (seldom penalised) should be clamped down on too.

Do you agree?yes,sick of saying it….it makes the nrl game look very clean and fast imo
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Although the ptb is cleaner in the NRL, they don't play with the foot every times by any means either.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

moto748 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:03 pm Although the ptb is cleaner in the NRL, they don't play with the foot every times by any means either.
Not all the time but they mostly do and when they dont( which is rare) the foot does the motions and is millimetres away from the ball
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

It's irrelevant for me. I like the current interpretation - you have to be stood and balanced in control when you roll it back. That's good enough to tidy it up IMO.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

Mike wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:42 pm It's irrelevant for me. I like the current interpretation - you have to be stood and balanced in control when you roll it back. That's good enough to tidy it up IMO.
Agree. Stood up facing your opponents "try line". That'll do me :)
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Sorry, I'm not trying to be provocative, but the "bring back contested scrums" and "make them play the ball with the foot" calls will quite rightly never happen.

Incidentally, if you watch the 1965 cup final, Wigan v Hunslet, players regularly stood up and dropped the ball on its end so it bounced backwards. Never even attempted to play it with their foot.

As long as the game flows and both sides understand what's required and are treated equally, who cares?

And if anyone likes watching scrums reset over and over, there's always Rugby yawnion.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I'm not in favour of contested scrums. Or of that other old chestnut, let's bring the corner flag back into play to disallow flying tries in the corners. But at the very least, the ruck needs tidying up. Refs calling 'held' quicker would help too.
culinator

Post by culinator »

My three pet hates
Walking off the mark when playing the ball, really bugs me

Dropping the ball "backwards", i have always disliked the rule that you can drop the ball as long as it goes backward, i thought at one point in time the rule was, "if its not in the action of passing" any dropped ball was classed as a knock on, granted "on" is in the name but i still find it annoying

Six agains when they dont suit, all teams do it, us included but if its first or second tackle and in your own half it should be a penalty not a six again for an infringement as the six again doesnt give any advantage in that situation

All in my own opinion
Last edited by culinator on Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.