Junior Nsemba

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
medlocke

Re: Junior Nsemba

Post by medlocke »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:04 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:55 pm
In my opinion, increasing the salary cap may not be the best solution to retaining rugby league players. The decision to count all income from TV appearances and advertisements towards the cap was a significant mistake by the RFL.

The first step towards addressing this issue could involve increasing the visibility and popularity of the sport, while also removing restrictions that prevent players from earning additional income through free advertising. This would provide players with greater opportunities to pursue other careers after their playing days are over.

It's worth considering whether someone like Freddy Flintoff would have been able to transition to a successful TV career if similar restrictions were in place in cricket.
You’re right. We used to see players like Sculthorpe etc advertising Gillette razors, it was as you say another great mistake from the RFL 🤨
You've got to wonder what sort of idiots work at the RFL, mistakes like these where made over a Decade ago yet nobody has the gumption to rectify those mistakes for the good of the game, either that or they are all shite scared of Gary Hetherington and the Yorkshire mafia
craigo

Post by craigo »

I want to become a regular first team player at Wigan Warriors. Be the best I can be. Maybe win man of steel. Hopefully part of a successful team. That is what a young player should be saying.
I have supported Wigan RL since the late 80s. First game was a cup tie v Barrow. Also a fan of football and Speedway. Have a varied taste in music.
Brennox7

Post by Brennox7 »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:58 pm Just watched the Wigan TV interview with Junior & there is nothing in there that mentions him wanting to follow KPP to the NRL. Unless it’s been cut 🤔🤔
Unsure on the interview. It was on the Wigantoday website. Him and Hill were talking on reflection.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... ty-4115896

It’s on there.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

craigo wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:15 pm I want to become a regular first team player at Wigan Warriors. Be the best I can be. Maybe win man of steel. Hopefully part of a successful team. That is what a young player should be saying.
They do a d then they get called into the house because its dark if they're good enough along comes Mr Agent and those dreams come with a price tag attached.

Be much easier if those dreams came first but short career etc...
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

Brennox7 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:28 pm
josie andrews wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:58 pm Just watched the Wigan TV interview with Junior & there is nothing in there that mentions him wanting to follow KPP to the NRL. Unless it’s been cut 🤔🤔
Unsure on the interview. It was on the Wigantoday website. Him and Hill were talking on reflection.

It’s on there.
I’m sat here trying to cut him some slack because he’s a young kid and probably isn’t thinking that deeply about a comment like that but it’s hard. Somebody at the club needs to sit him down and discuss how that comment can be perceived. He might not cut a professional career out anywhere, let alone in the NRL, so get your head down and work hard at trying to do that at Wigan. He should find that enough motivation and enough of an honour and a privilege to keep any NRL ambitions to himself.
DaiJones

Post by DaiJones »

I haven't seen / read these comments but does anyone seriously think that all young British players going into RL these days don't think exactly like this? The salary cap, diminishing TV deals and extinct international scene have created such a gulf between Super League and the NRL that that any player with any talent and ambition will want to test themselves in Australia where the lifestyle, profile and wages are incomparable to here.

I don't doubt the commitment of the players to the club whilst they are here and for me, Wigan will always be the be all and end all of Rugby League, but unlike say the 1990s when being at Wigan felt like reaching a sporting pinnacle, if I was a teenager signing for a Super League club now my career plan would be exactly this-play for Wigan for a few years hopefully winning some trophies and then head off Down Under. I don't know how we redress the balance- hopefully IMG have some ideas-but criticising anyone who says out loud what 99.5% of his colleagues think is like slagging off an actor who says he would be up for one day swapping Hollyoaks for Hollywood
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:04 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:55 pm
In my opinion, increasing the salary cap may not be the best solution to retaining rugby league players. The decision to count all income from TV appearances and advertisements towards the cap was a significant mistake by the RFL.

The first step towards addressing this issue could involve increasing the visibility and popularity of the sport, while also removing restrictions that prevent players from earning additional income through free advertising. This would provide players with greater opportunities to pursue other careers after their playing days are over.

It's worth considering whether someone like Freddy Flintoff would have been able to transition to a successful TV career if similar restrictions were in place in cricket.
You’re right. We used to see players like Sculthorpe etc advertising Gillette razors, it was as you say another great mistake from the RFL 🤨
I have been saying exactly this for years. Ever since the salary cap came out in fact. The idea any money earned by a player selling their image rights to an advertiser counts on the salary cap is perverse in my opinion.

Not only does it lessen their earning potential while playing, it gives them no incentive to front any advertising initiative for the sport itself and as has been said, no chance of a player fronting a campaign for a brand like Gillette.

I wonder why the players union hasn't challenged this as a restriction of trade?

I also wonder if IMG will suggest changing this rule?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

NICKYKISS wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:48 am
Brennox7 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:28 pm

It’s on there.
I’m sat here trying to cut him some slack because he’s a young kid and probably isn’t thinking that deeply about a comment like that but it’s hard. Somebody at the club needs to sit him down and discuss how that comment can be perceived. He might not cut a professional career out anywhere, let alone in the NRL, so get your head down and work hard at trying to do that at Wigan. He should find that enough motivation and enough of an honour and a privilege to keep any NRL ambitions to himself.
Exactly. While as DaiJones posted all young players may harbour the ambition to play in Australia they should not be shouting about it in the media because perception matters. It's disheartening for fans and it doesn't do the sports image as a whole any good.

Mind you the club is partly to blame for this. It has been far too accommodating about letting players leave contracts early and has even made positive comments in the press about players leaving for the NRL. The club has set an expectation if the NRL comes knocking, the club will let players leave so it's no surprise he might think following KPP is what will happen and that he hasn't said anything controversial by saying he has the ambition to play in the NRL.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I think like most on here you have to be realistic and there is much more at play than just a pay cheque. I also think its unrealistic to expect a team like Wigan to not be a springboard for the NRL because lets face it no-one is going to Wakefiled to boost their NRL chances we are the most famous club this side of the pond you come here or play here if you want to be on the radar.

I know plenty young lads who will go to Austrailia for the life experience and take gap years to do so - imagine if you can go and do your proper job and be paid more than you can over here for it. Some wont have that in them look at Marshall he's a home bird and nothing wrong with that either.

The other element is if you're a rugby league player here its not like you'll get any recognition for it, in NRL they are more "superstars" especially if you make it big and that can be another appeal besides just the money element.

The problem is no matter what we do this side the problem lies the NRL side they have a salary cap which will now allow they to take "punts" on players - they dont have to be a sure thing or proven

I agree with DaveO though Wigan do seem to be a soft touch on player movement
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Two words. Salary and Cap.

I said years ago that if this was not addressed, RL in this country would be nothing more than a feeder system for the NRL. Sadly I was right.

3 types of player will be left in the UK if the above isn't addressed.

1. Those who want to go to the NRL
2. Those who have gone to the NRL and not been successful
3. Those not good enough to go to the NRL.

Money talks, it always has. Do you think Brett Kenny and Wally Lewis came over here for the weather?

The RL/Sky can pretend all they like about the game "improving" and this and that, but this is simply not true.

Our best players/coaches have either gone/going to the NRL or RU. Reality check time I'm afraid.