Wigan squad for Hull FC

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Bob the Builder

Re: Wigan squad for Hull FC

Post by Bob the Builder »

BENT HALER was his usual. I hate Wigan, and look at me everyone, I'm on TV. But having six players in the International last week, when all the other clubs withdrew, really hurt us. All other clubs had a weeks rest, we had half our team playing for England. No surprise then that every player who played for England last week had a poor or quiet game tonight. Smith was poor compared to normal, and our two england centres were non existent. Maybe Shaun Wane could have done his own club a favour and bit picked so many Wigan players last week.
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

More positives than negatives. Dominated an fc side with literally 2 props and 2 kids on the bench. Hampshire comes in next week at least on the bench and we’ll beat Leeds. We move on
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Losing to Hull is just poor. They are not a good side. Wigan had enough ball to win it and just blew it. Very poor and not good enough.

The last minute incident was deliberate from the Hull player. He knew he’d get binned but he prevented a quick PTB to give the defence time to get set but the idiot ref fell for it rather than letting the play continue.

Shorrocks looks less like a six every game he plays which given we won against two much better sides than Wakey and Hull is strange as he looked poor in both those. Time to put that experiment to bed.

Leeds will be looking forward to next week.
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

Should have won that, not the end of the world that we’ve lost though. Plenty more games to be played. Like I said the other day though, you’re on hard drugs if you think shorrocks is a half! He makes the attack all clunky and makes bad decisions in attack. Should bring Rocky back in until Field can move back into the halves. Mago I’d let go, like having a massive fridge/freezer combo that can’t chill or freeze anything, basically a waste of space. The way he was hanging on to Satate whilst he ran 20m was embarrassing, Imagine being that big but that non effective. If he was an animal he would be a big lazy hamster. Difficult back to back games against Leeds and I worry if we win the league one we could lose the cup game. Peet with a lot to think about.
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

Also forgot to say, Bryne is like one of those big old awkward reclining deck chairs you had as a kid, massive, might trap a finger but you can fold them up easy enough.
Lazy J

Post by Lazy J »

At the end of the day we lost, hull were the better (just) of 2 poor teams, it’s no surprise that it’s early May and contract time and hulls players wake up.

We had a loose at standoff and no pace on the wings, smith tried hard but had nothing to work with, we went back to the default of one out rugby and no depth

But, and it’s a big but, if you’d have offered me 6/8 points on the run of Leigh’s cup final, scousers at home, wire away, hull away on the back of a week off I’d have taken it

We move in and let’s prepare for Leeds next week
There are 10 types of people, those who get binary and those who dont!
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

It was a disappointing performance but I expected it to come. If Wakefield were anything close to half decent I think they'd have beaten us a couple of weeks ago and we'd have been more enthusiastic for this game. But they are dreadful, we didn't have to put much effort in and then after a 2 week break we fail to raise our game against a much more spirited Hull team.

We've been able to get away with sloppiness when we've been near to full strength but with so many players missing at the moment we gave ourselves a bit too much to do. All the tries conceded were down to poor efforts though which is more frustrating than the disjointed attack, which is to be expected with a makeshift half.

The outside backs put in a huge amount of graft which we've come to expect but also shouldn't take for granted. Thornley was excellent with his carries.

Shorrocks struggled but we knew that was coming. He looked a lot better when he was moved to 13 but the issue we had then was Powell didn't really get involved at all in the halves, so I can see why Shorrocks was preferred at 6 but hopefully it won't be for much longer. Hampshire being 18th man suggests he was close to being selected but we shouldn't expect too much from him given how long he's been out for. It's not a given that we'll get much from him straight away or that he'll slot into the team seamlessly.

There's not much we can do about the pack right now. Havard and Smithies give their all but ideally we'd be managing their game time now after some huge efforts in the 3 derbies and for England but we don't have that option. Mago played longer minutes than usual and gave it a good go but he's so slow at the ruck that teams just put numbers on him and can risk a late retreat.

I think we might be in for a tough few weeks having done really well to raise our game for a difficult run of fixtures, but hopefully players will start to return as we move into summer and we can start building up some form again.
Fan4Fifty

Post by Fan4Fifty »

We need more attacking threat than just French and some of that has to come from Smith. It didn't against Wakefield and it didn't tonight. OK, he has no stand-off to work with but needs to show a bit more running creativity. Conditions were bad and Wigan were patient but without a cutting edge. That's inevitable with Shorrocks and Powell playing in 'pivot' positions for large parts of the game. I think Hampshire needs a game under his belt next week and let Shorrocks replace Nsemba on the bench.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Fan4Fifty wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 11:01 pm We need more attacking threat than just French and some of that has to come from Smith. It didn't against Wakefield and it didn't tonight. OK, he has no stand-off to work with but needs to show a bit more running creativity. Conditions were bad and Wigan were patient but without a cutting edge. That's inevitable with Shorrocks and Powell playing in 'pivot' positions for large parts of the game. I think Hampshire needs a game under his belt next week and let Shorrocks replace Nsemba on the bench.
I think Peet knows that too.

Shorrocks is a bench player playing from the start at the moment. That will change.

Thought Thornley did well. Like having an extra back rower.

We clearly are weak in the middles but we know that.

I'm not too worried tbh. We proved that we can raise our game against the big teams and that is what this competition is all about.
craigo

Post by craigo »

Caboosegg wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:13 pm
craigo wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 6:52 pm Can tinker tonight. Hull are poor. I think a nice comfortable win.
:lol: don't jinx it.
Me and my big mouth
I have supported Wigan RL since the late 80s. First game was a cup tie v Barrow. Also a fan of football and Speedway. Have a varied taste in music.