Wigan V Leeds 12/05/23

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_ITK

Re: Wigan V Leeds 12/05/23

Post by Wigan_ITK »

Lots of very average performances tonight, look jaded and not up for the fight.

Some tweaks in attack needed, we’re just not making the pressure count and Smith is getting shutdown as teams know everything is going to come through him.

Shorrocks did an admirable job but it’s time to get a partnership going and I’d probably plump for Smith / Rocky next week.

Cust had an opportunity tonight but the wheels started to fall off as soon as he came onto the pitch and he offered absolutely nothing.
Lazy J

Post by Lazy J »

This is where Peet needs to earn his money, we are developing a pattern, have lots of possession but don’t score, 12-0 up we take 2 Leeds we’re gassed, we go 18-0 up different game. We’ve done it a couple of times this season, we need to kill teams off

The intercept killed us but there’s no excuse for the defence in the second half it was shocking, Leeds’ pack and Austin decided that they wanted the win more than we did.

There’s a lot of work to do before we go to Leeds, but it does seem to be stop French and stop Wigan at the moment
There are 10 types of people, those who get binary and those who dont!
mjdodge13

Post by mjdodge13 »

Simply awful but not something we aren’t surprised about. It’s glaringly obvious we don’t have the team.
Anyway we’ll persist with what we’ve got. No strike players, no half backs, no hooker and no 13…….just the basis of any top team.
Hopefully field will be fit in a few weeks and we can paper over the cracks. (Just like last season and the seasons under Lam)
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Pathetic performance at home. Totally unacceptable. Undone the good work of beating Saints and Wire.

As to we were bound to lose one of the two games v Leeds that is nonsense. Leeds are not a good side and we should have no problem beating them twice and we should also have beaten Hull if we are supposed to be a top team.

Can a Peet turn it round for next week? I am not so sure. If French and Field are in the side and giving the ball to them doesn’t work I don’t think he has a plan B.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

The only person who showed heart and effort for the full 80 was French.
Isa great first half then missing second half, Shorrocks the same, even Mago looked ok in the first half.
Also KPP is a blue print of Gilly, got his NRL gig and now just coasting. Get him out now if his heads not there, he’s offering nothing at the moment
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

widdenoldboy wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:50 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:45 pm I said before this game Blake Austin can win a game when he’s up for it - he’s been up for it tonight - you can point to new man’s interceptions but Blake Austin for me was the bigger factor

Wigan have imploded tonight a lot of average performances

I suppose if you were gonna lose one of the two games we have with Leeds then this is the one to lose - I expect we will bounce back for the cup
Obviously I hope so but where from?
Think Cust has had a game to bed back in and we need him to be starting in the cup or rocky but shorrocks in the half’s needs to be put to bed

Smith will learn from today - attacking the line is great for a half back but we were too easy to read French needs to be a decoy from time to time

I don’t believe Leeds will play like that next week - they seem to only play well when they are massively up against it

What we are missing is smarts - this in the past would be a game lockers would of grabbed and steered - we lost our heads trying to win a game we had already won and there is some learning in that
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Barney841 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:51 pm One word EMBARRASSING
Need two if you live in Leeds
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Disgraceful and the players should be ashamed of themselves.

Peet HAS to either start Hampshire or Cust in the halves.

Shorrocks is a JOATMON.

I knew we had no creativity but really? Against Leeds? With 12 men?

Peet needs to start earning his money. Sick of all this "community" stuff. Pick a team that can play. Not rocket science Mr Peet.
Bob the Builder

Post by Bob the Builder »

Good too see Mago laughing and joking with the Leeds players after that debacle. Personally I'd have been straight off that pitch hanging my head in shame. Get rid of Mago. Absolutely rubbish!!
jackthelad

Post by jackthelad »

Well well well, so poor its unbelievable

Recent posts talk about our new and improved 3/4 line, great centres and wingers etc... never had any attack to utilise any of them

One man boring sh1te rugby, quite pathetic that performance

Mago belly laughing after the game with a Leeds player, not arsed about being turned over at home, really!! Unbelievable!!

Needs a change of attitude or go home IMO not on his own either after tonight's display