Wigan V Leeds 12/05/23

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
First Try Tickle

Re: Wigan V Leeds 12/05/23

Post by First Try Tickle »

You don’t win games without props. Missing Cooper, Singleton and Ellis has hit us hard. Then playing KPP as a prop and having Cust & O’Neil on the bench is just asking for trouble. I’d have sooner stuck with Hill than bring back an unfit player. And as for Mago, I was swearing all the way home, and he’s having a laugh with the Leeds players.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

First Try Tickle wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 12:16 am You don’t win games without props. Missing Cooper, Singleton and Ellis has hit us hard. Then playing KPP as a prop and having Cust & O’Neil on the bench is just asking for trouble. I’d have sooner stuck with Hill than bring back an unfit player. And as for Mago, I was swearing all the way home, and he’s having a laugh with the Leeds players.
Certainly true we are missing those props but Singleton wasn’t playing that well anyway and Cooper being at the end of his career was possibly more likely to have the body break than not, Eillis who last season was average had finally found some form is just bad luck. The last thing we needed,

As to Cust and O’Neil on the bench no idea what Peet was thinking there and surely if Cust is available he plays 6 not Shorrocks and the bench has another prop on it. Trying to protect the young props is daft (if that is what he did). The squad has three senior props out so they just have to play. When the others are fit again (well Singleton and Ellis, Cooper is gone for 2023) they can have rest then.

Hopefully the person who learns most from this loss is Peet. He certainly needs to.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:00 pm
widdenoldboy wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:50 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:45 pm I said before this game Blake Austin can win a game when he’s up for it - he’s been up for it tonight - you can point to new man’s interceptions but Blake Austin for me was the bigger factor

Wigan have imploded tonight a lot of average performances

I suppose if you were gonna lose one of the two games we have with Leeds then this is the one to lose - I expect we will bounce back for the cup
Obviously I hope so but where from?
Think Cust has had a game to bed back in and we need him to be starting in the cup or rocky but shorrocks in the half’s needs to be put to bed

Smith will learn from today - attacking the line is great for a half back but we were too easy to read French needs to be a decoy from time to time

I don’t believe Leeds will play like that next week - they seem to only play well when they are massively up against it

What we are missing is smarts - this in the past would be a game lockers would of grabbed and steered - we lost our heads trying to win a game we had already won and there is some learning in that
I have said it time and again, Cust is never a 6 as long has I have a hole in my Harris. If Hampshire doesn’t play next week I will be shocked. I am happy for Cust to get a gig at 9 though. Powell has not been great the last few weeks but O’Neill’s form is worse.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

DaveO wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 12:27 am
First Try Tickle wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 12:16 am You don’t win games without props. Missing Cooper, Singleton and Ellis has hit us hard. Then playing KPP as a prop and having Cust & O’Neil on the bench is just asking for trouble. I’d have sooner stuck with Hill than bring back an unfit player. And as for Mago, I was swearing all the way home, and he’s having a laugh with the Leeds players.
Certainly true we are missing those props but Singleton wasn’t playing that well anyway and Cooper being at the end of his career was possibly more likely to have the body break than not, Eillis who last season was average had finally found some form is just bad luck. The last thing we needed,

As to Cust and O’Neil on the bench no idea what Peet was thinking there and surely if Cust is available he plays 6 not Shorrocks and the bench has another prop on it. Trying to protect the young props is daft (if that is what he did). The squad has three senior props out so they just have to play. When the others are fit again (well Singleton and Ellis, Cooper is gone for 2023) they can have rest then.

Hopefully the person who learns most from this loss is Peet. He certainly needs to.
Bang on DaveO, surely this was the game to switch things up a bit to test options for next week, now we are behind the 8 ball with our first choices in disarray and our youngsters and returners not ready.

I have been impressed with Peet until the last two games, we are generally playing a good style of Rugby, getting the best out of players and winning. Now, its hard to see where we are going.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Lazy J wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:55 pm This is where Peet needs to earn his money, we are developing a pattern, have lots of possession but don’t score, 12-0 up we take 2 Leeds we’re gassed, we go 18-0 up different game. We’ve done it a couple of times this season, we need to kill teams off

The intercept killed us but there’s no excuse for the defence in the second half it was shocking, Leeds’ pack and Austin decided that they wanted the win more than we did.

There’s a lot of work to do before we go to Leeds, but it does seem to be stop French and stop Wigan at the moment
French, like the rest was poor tonight. He should have put King in for two tries but did not deliver the pass.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 1:05 am
Lazy J wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:55 pm This is where Peet needs to earn his money, we are developing a pattern, have lots of possession but don’t score, 12-0 up we take 2 Leeds we’re gassed, we go 18-0 up different game. We’ve done it a couple of times this season, we need to kill teams off

The intercept killed us but there’s no excuse for the defence in the second half it was shocking, Leeds’ pack and Austin decided that they wanted the win more than we did.

There’s a lot of work to do before we go to Leeds, but it does seem to be stop French and stop Wigan at the moment
French, like the rest was poor tonight. He should have put King in for two tries but did not deliver the pass.
Well said chariots, I love French but his choices last few games have been poor - that said he is trying to have an impact.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

And you can't blame him, I think. He bust a gut tonight trying to make something happen. Did he always make the right decisions? Probably not, but it seems harsh to judge when most of the rest seemed so poor.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

moto748 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 2:45 am And you can't blame him, I think. He bust a gut tonight trying to make something happen. Did he always make the right decisions? Probably not, but it seems harsh to judge when most of the rest seemed so poor.
You can if he starts to believe his own hype and become a one man team.

People slagged off Hastings for the same
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

Once again poor coaching decisions first of all playing shorrocks at 6 rotating Powell Oneil shorrocks did not work last week playing Mago shocking taking smithies off who I thought was playing well putting KPP at prop playing cust before Hampshire and finally playing route one down the middle without 4 props if you include Mago will cost him his job poor coaching
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

Sorry 4 props including Mago missing