Wigan squad for Challenge Cup R6

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan squad for Challenge Cup R6

Post by josie andrews »

21-man squad announced for Saturday’s Challenge Cup Sixth Round Clash with Leeds Rhinos, in association with Greenmount Projects.

Peet makes one changes to the squad ahead of the fixture.

Leeds Rhinos v Wigan Warriors, Saturday 20th May, 2:30pm K.O.

Matt Peet has named his 21-man squad for Saturday’s Betfred Challenge Cup Sixth Round clash with Leeds Rhinos at Headingley Stadium (2:30pm K.O.)

Matt Peet has made one changes to his 21-player squad as Kaide Ellis, returning from a minor hamstring injury, replaces Willie Isa who is not included in the squad having picked up a hamstring injury in last week’s game.

Wigan squad for Leeds Rhinos:

2 Bevan French
3 Toby King
4 Jake Wardle
5 Liam Marshall
6 Cade Cust
7 Harry Smith
9 Sam Powell
10 Liam Byrne
12 Liam Farrell
13 Morgan Smithies
15 Kaide Ellis
16 Ethan Havard
17 Kai Pearce Paul
19 Joe Shorrocks
20 Patrick Mago
21 Iain Thornley
22 rad O’Neill
23 Abbas Miski
26 Harvie Hill
27 Junior Nsemba
32 Ryan Hampshire

Tickets and travel for Saturday’s fixture can still be bought online HERE (Collection only) or at the Robin Park Arena Club Store. All the information, including pricing and how to buy can be found HERE.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2023/05/ ... ge-cup-r6/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Wigan squad for Challenge Cup R6

Post by josie andrews »

No Willie Isa?

Did he get injured during the second half?

I was unwell & left before the second half & haven’t watched it back yet.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Sezer and McDonnell return for Rhinos

Rohan Smith has named his 21-man squad for this Saturday's massive Betfred Challenge Cup against Wigan Warriors at Headingley, kick off 2.30pm, live on BBC One.

Smith has made two changes to the squad that won 40-18 last week at Wigan. James Bentley is ruled out with the head injury he suffered at the DW Stadium whilst Zane Tetevano begins his two game suspension after being shown a red card against the Warriors.

Leeds welcome back former Wigan player James McDonnell after he missed last week's game with a minor injury and Aidan Sezer returns to the squad for the first time since suffering a dead leg in the defeat at Leigh three weeks ago.

Tickets for the game are available from the Rhinos ticket office at tickets.therhinos.co.uk with junior tickets just £5 for juniors, free for junior members and just £15 for adult standing tickets.

The game will be the 32nd time that both teams have met in the Challenge Cup since the first meeting back in 1899. So far there have been 15 wins for both teams and one draw.

The squad in full is:

1 Richie Myler sponsored by Y F Furniture

3 Harry Newman sponsored by Warners Fish Merchants

4 Nene MacDonald sponsored by Fenton Finance

5 Ash Handley sponsored by Roxy Ballroom

6 Blake Austin sponsored by AXIS

7 Aidan Sezer sponsored by Vale Services

8 Mikolaj Oledzki sponsored by Pickups Self Storage

12 Rhyse Martin sponsored by Mailway Packaging Solutions

13 Cameron Smith sponsored by Warners Fish Merchants

14 Jarrod O’Connor sponsored by Boardrm

15 Sam Lisone sponsored by K-Bins

16 Derrell Olpherts sponsored by Horbury Dental Laboratories Ltd

17 Justin Sangare sponsored by Mtech

18 Tom Holroyd sponsored by West Riding Paper Services

19 James McDonnell sponsored by Wetherby Whaler

20 Morgan Gannon sponsored by Simon Baynes

22 Sam Walters sponsored by Warners Fish Merchants

23 Liam Tindall sponsored by Bartercard

24 Luis Roberts sponsored by Wetherby Whaler

25 James Donaldson sponsored by ACS Stainless Steel Fixings

26 Corey Johnson sponsored by Heaton Wilson Roofing

https://www.therhinos.co.uk/article/188 ... for-rhinos
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Isa did a hamstring.

Best line of the year is Bentley having a problem with his head!

I hope that we can come up with a plan and stick to it. The last match against Leeds had the air of trying various scenarios and seeing if one of them worked - to which we all know the answer.
The Cup is really important - it's a money spinner and a great day out for all of us (cost of living notwithstanding). I think the poster on another thread had it right. It's less good for attack but better for defence to play Shorrocks in the halves although it's not a long-term strategy, If it can get us through this match, we can think again about the future.
The Pearl1

Post by The Pearl1 »

josie andrews wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 12:07 pm No Willie Isa?

It says it in the article
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

The Pearl1 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 12:49 pm
josie andrews wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 12:07 pm No Willie Isa?

It says it in the article
Sorry, I must have missed it when I had a phone call 😳
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

Josie we were all sick after the second half last week
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

pearsy wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 1:17 pm Josie we were all sick after the second half last week
😂 So I believe!

But I didn’t see the second half & after reading everyone’s comments, I didn’t watch it back & after speaking to Matt Peet last night think he felt the same. He was upset about the way the players capitulated to a 12 man Leeds team.

But we’ve seen that before, we’ve done the same upped our game when we’ve been reduced to 12 men & won against an opposing squad of 13. I think one game, can’t remember which, may have been at Warrington, we played 75 minutes with 12 men & went on to win the game 😊
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

josie andrews wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 1:28 pm
pearsy wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 1:17 pm Josie we were all sick after the second half last week
😂 So I believe!

But I didn’t see the second half & after reading everyone’s comments, I didn’t watch it back & after speaking to Matt Peet last night think he felt the same. He was upset about the way the players capitulated to a 12 man Leeds team.

But we’ve seen that before, we’ve done the same upped our game when we’ve been reduced to 12 men & won against an opposing squad of 13. I think one game, can’t remember which, may have been at Warrington, we played 75 minutes with 12 men & went on to win the game 😊
I rarely get angry with a team but that second half took the biscuit,it was abject but your right sometimes 12 men can do the trick but for me it was more that wigan looked clueless no other word for it,mistake after mistake one try that I still can't get over no one seemed to attempt a tackle it was that bad.

Hope you're feeling better

Better than I was, thank you Fozzie. I’ll be at Leeds on Saturday though regardless 🤞🏼
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

It was very poor and hard to explain. We have to hope that it was just one of those days. The players now have the opportunity toput it right and they travel to Headingley on Saturday.