Cats v Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Re: Cats v Wigan

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

That was quite simply a sacking offence no planA deffo no planB. . Happening to often. Harry Smith lost all confidence in his kicking does peet protect him no chance . So angry it's unreal .
EW
2002 and EW is hooked
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

EDINBURGH-WARRIOR wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:23 pm That was quite simply a sacking offence no planA deffo no planB. . Happening to often. Harry Smith lost all confidence in his kicking does peet protect him no chance . So angry it's unreal .
EW
It is bad enough getting beat but it’s the way we are getting beat that is worrying
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

I don't think our problems this afternoon really had much to do with our playmakers. Catalans dominated field position and territory so the effectiveness of our attack was always going to be limited.

For me it's pretty obvious the age old problem has cost us yet again. Their pack was big, powerful, dominant, aggressive, well-drilled. It was all the things you want from a pack and ours was battered once again. It's frustrating but it's hard to see how we fix it because we don't have anyone to make a difference.

I thought Ellis was okay but other than that our pack was outplayed to a man. Byrne has regressed, or perhaps just can't put in the same level of performance when the onus is on him to make an impact. Mago put in a decent effort but it's just not effective enough. I was happy to see Smithies tried on the right edge but it doesn't work. He's been largely anonymous and ineffective since the switch. Nsemba is a good ball carrier but not ready yet, not capable of playing the full 80 and just not quite up to speed defensively.

Hill also isn't ready yet so doesn't give us much off the bench. There's nothing remotely effective from our forwards, at least not on a consistent basis, so it's unlikely we're ever going to get into the positions to play the way we like. We can't really play patient rugby because we just can't get into the right areas of the field consistently enough.

It's one thing playing a team like Hull KR who don't have the strongest pack and don't tend to try to dominate teams through the sheer size and power of the pack. We can just about cope with that. But facing a team that relentlessly rolls down the field with big forwards and then puts on quick and clinical attacking moves has really exposed us.

The troubles with our right edge are a concern, but they were a concern at the start of the year and I don't think a huge amount has changed. We allowed that edge to be exposed by not making Catalans work for their field position and ensuring we were on the back foot too often.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Jobs for the boys is alive and well at Wigan and here to stay for a long time, won't be long till we have 2 more new coaches in Farrell and Powell
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Not singling him out as it was a bad performance for everyone and he's just coming through but Nsemba was targeted all match and field and King failed to cover his missed tackles.

We missed isa (and missing a 34 year old 2nd row is not a good place to be) he plays catalan don't get 2 out of the 3 tries that side.

Another contributor to today's loss was the lack of cohesion we threw so many bad passes (including field) and no one supported any break we made.

We need to set a half back paring now and let them Gel and if cust can be dropped so can Smith who need to build back up (reserves?)

People can complain and day we need an overhaul (usually the same people who never post when it's going well) but we ( well the coaching team) need to look at what changes can be made with what we have available.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

EagleEyePie wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:28 pm I don't think our problems this afternoon really had much to do with our playmakers. Catalans dominated field position and territory so the effectiveness of our attack was always going to be limited.

For me it's pretty obvious the age old problem has cost us yet again. Their pack was big, powerful, dominant, aggressive, well-drilled. It was all the things you want from a pack and ours was battered once again. It's frustrating but it's hard to see how we fix it because we don't have anyone to make a difference.

I thought Ellis was okay but other than that our pack was outplayed to a man. Byrne has regressed, or perhaps just can't put in the same level of performance when the onus is on him to make an impact. Mago put in a decent effort but it's just not effective enough. I was happy to see Smithies tried on the right edge but it doesn't work. He's been largely anonymous and ineffective since the switch. Nsemba is a good ball carrier but not ready yet, not capable of playing the full 80 and just not quite up to speed defensively.

Hill also isn't ready yet so doesn't give us much off the bench. There's nothing remotely effective from our forwards, at least not on a consistent basis, so it's unlikely we're ever going to get into the positions to play the way we like. We can't really play patient rugby because we just can't get into the right areas of the field consistently enough.

It's one thing playing a team like Hull KR who don't have the strongest pack and don't tend to try to dominate teams through the sheer size and power of the pack. We can just about cope with that. But facing a team that relentlessly rolls down the field with big forwards and then puts on quick and clinical attacking moves has really exposed us.

The troubles with our right edge are a concern, but they were a concern at the start of the year and I don't think a huge amount has changed. We allowed that edge to be exposed by not making Catalans work for their field position and ensuring we were on the back foot too often.
Reckon you've just about said it all there, EEP. I think Hill and Nsemba have shown enough to be well worth persisting with, but they can't be playing week in, week out.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

EDINBURGH-WARRIOR wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:23 pm That was quite simply a sacking offence no planA deffo no planB. . Happening to often. Harry Smith lost all confidence in his kicking does peet protect him no chance . So angry it's unreal .
EW
Trouble is it's been like this all season then they scrape a win and we.all.pretemd its fine,its far from fine time to stop resigning players who weren't good enough first time round find a hooker who better than whats here and is there a case for sacrificing field or French if a better player comes along.

I worry because lenegan proclaimed this squad as "the best in 10 years" if so he needs to have a long hard look at this side and see the issues there are with it.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:04 pm
Barney841 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:58 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:52 pm

I though cust did well at hooker, Powell was none existent.

In do question why both Field and Cust where brought back at the same time when we had O'Niel
My thoughts exactly. Don’t think either of them were match fit, felt abit sorry for Field thrown in at the deep end really
I get the feeling with the chopping and changing Cust/Hampshire/O’Neill Matty peet doesn’t know what the best combo is
I think he does know his best combo ks,cust and Smith but neither are the same player as last season for some reason I do t see field is the answer either
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

DaveO wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:49 pm
Firestarter wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:34 pm
medlocke wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:31 pm

And this is why we are shite
Unfortunately there lies the problem imo.Not matty
He’s the head coach. The buck stops with him and we have had too many poor performances not to ask what is he going to do about it.
Agreed something needs to change and quick
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

I'm far from happy with the performance in terms of players and coaches, and have no desire to justify, excuse or minimise any of it.

Looking at fans' reactions, I do think there's a tendency, perhaps in all of us, to go into "Woe is me, the end of the world is nigh" mode. So a few comments just for balance.

• Try withholding full judgement until the end of the season. All players make mistakes, but it's also hard to shine in a team that's being well beaten.
• Harry Smith is still a young lad with enormous possibilities. He has been badly handled by having kicking responsibilities and effectively being the sole or senior half-back, when he should have been playing alongside an "old head". Personality-wise, he's clearly not a strutting cockerel like Greg or Luke Gale. We need to stop piling so much responsibility on him, and create conditions where he can develop and flourish.
• Not excuses, but with Singo, Cooper and Isa playing, we'd have been a different team.
• There are always a few positives if you look hard enough: Ellis seems to have played long minutes recently and had looked at least half-decent. Mago to a lesser extent, though he should still go at the end of the season. Miski is better than we all thought, despite shooting the line today.

Teams go through bad spells and can come though them. They need our support - it was good to see some of the younger fans still singing at the end today.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐